geese on the side

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

geese on the side

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:17 pm

i recently got a half dozen herters suc goose floaters to use with 5 dozen mallards and 14 teal deeks, i hunt a stagnant marsh and i figured on days when the weather was right i could have a chance at taking a goose or two but my main focus will be ducks, is it possible to take geese over only 6 floaters? and if so any ideas on a spread? perhaps the canadas upwind, mallards in the middle and teal around availible cover?

thanks much pat
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Canadian Quacker » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:39 pm

Yeah, Benelli Slinger, I always put a few goose floaters out with my ducks dekes. You probably wont be able to get the big flocks of geese to come close obviously but it works really good for small flocks especially loners. At lot of it depends on your calling ability though.
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:08 pm

wasnt plannin on calling all that much, just gonna honk to keep them comin, i feel my goose calling skills are alot sharper than my duck calling skills because i cut my waterfowl teeth on geese, will i need to call very much?
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:42 pm

It can definitely work for Canadas. We have a fairly small timber lake. While it is definitely better for ducks, we can get geese as well. The challenge is one of my partners gets impatient and thinks the goose decoys are spooking the ducks, so he will run out and take them in. As if on cue, geese usually fly over us at that point. We call and watch them circle and circle looking for geese on the water. After several laps, they head off.

As for the spread, I think it works best with a few here and a few there. I would keep the six geese together and off to one side a bit.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole