mallard release projects

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

mallard release projects

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:49 pm

I am curious how many of you have them in your states and what you think about them.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:40 pm

They let birds go here but i dont know how often or how many. Some guys i met last year killed one with a little backpack radio from LSUS. I think its fine, the more the merrier. :yes:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Against it

Postby keegan511 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:30 pm

Think about it this way, if you take pen raised duck which essentially is domestic and release them into the wild how easy will disease spread between them for example avian flu? I don't like it for many reasons but that is my number one.
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:12 am

I have serious reservations of mixing the superior gened wild ducks with the tamer ones.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:55 am

I think released birds are causing a decline in the abilities of predators. As time goes on they will be unable to capture wild birds. These pen birds are so easy to catch eventually we will have to set up a subsistence system for foxes, raccoons, skunks etc. The wild bird population will explode and waters will turn into duck poop soup. Hugh algae blooms will kill off native fish species, global temperatures will rise as sea levels fall....

I also the pen raised are a little more tender. :laughing:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:16 pm

If you want to shoot a pen raised bird why even open the pen just go in the pen and shoot one. IMO
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:37 am

shooting pen raised birds is technically like shooting wylie geese here by aberdeen cuz they never fly higher than the trees and they will come to just a call....no thrill to that at all....imo
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole