DU Banquets?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

DU Banquets?

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:45 pm

Hey y'all!

I am going to my first DU banquet tonight, and have not the slightest clue as to what the "dress code" or how formal most people dress.

Have any of you been to one and might be able to help me out?Would slacks and jacket w/ a duck hunting tie or Just reglar Carhartts w/ a DU shirt be more to the "norm"?

Thanks in advance! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:48 pm

I havent ever wore anything more than jeans and a shirt. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Snaph » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:48 pm

Go rent a clown outfit... (if you don't already have one) they dig stuff like that.

Really...
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:22 pm

Snaph wrote:Go rent a clown outfit... (if you don't already have one) they dig stuff like that.

Really...

What am I gunna do w/ you man.... :hammering: :laughing:

-----

Thanks smakaduck!

Anybody else ever been?
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Snaph wrote:Go rent a clown outfit... (if you don't already have one) they dig stuff like that.

Really...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thats good......................Either of your outfits will work. I've gone in a suit and tie before as well as jeans and a camo shirt. Get a DD, get drunk and buy a bunch of stuff for the ducks. BTW, Where is Talkeetna? Population?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:26 pm

Don't waste any money on clothes - spend it on the ducks.
tstrong
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:35 pm

hvacfowler wrote:Get a DD, get drunk and buy a bunch of stuff for the ducks. BTW, Where is Talkeetna? Population?

I wish... but I have a feeling they "ID" there :hammering: :yes:
---------

And Talkeetna has a population of about 770... I donty live there now (I just worked up there when I signed up)

Thanks guys!
:salude:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:40 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:
hvacfowler wrote:Get a DD, get drunk and buy a bunch of stuff for the ducks. BTW, Where is Talkeetna? Population?

I wish... but I have a feeling they "ID" there :hammering: :yes:
---------

And Talkeetna has a population of about 770... I donty live there now (I just worked up there when I signed up)

Thanks guys!
:salude:

-Stouff

The reason I asked was because I just read a story about a woman who lives there. Her name is Pam Flowers. She and her dogs run the Iditarod frequently along with two trips to the Magnetic North Pole under her belt. My other hobby, besides reading about ducks, is reading about Alaskan adventure type stuff. There are more fascinating stories of survival and wilderness that come out of the wilds of Alaska that it is almost overwhelming. Consider yourself lucky, Stouff. For now I can only dream or read about what some of the sights and people must be like.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:12 am

Boy, what a good time! My little bro won a lanyard and a set of calls in a drawing and my dad won a 1 in 100 signature DU Ruger Red Label O/U shotgun in a auction. Me thinks I'll be getting my trigger time on it than the old man.... :toofunny:
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:17 am

DuffMaN wrote: and my dad won a 1 in 100 signature DU Ruger Red Label O/U shotgun in a auction. Me thinks I'll be getting my trigger time on it than the old man.... :toofunny:

Hmmm, won? I dunno, but "won" isnt the word i would use for spending $2,000 dollars on it :umm: :toofunny:

It was most definitely a fun time.... I spent about $80 buks total and got a free coffe mug! (I consider myself one of the only ones ot git out of there w/ my wallet :yes: )

So thanks for the help guys! And now I know next year I am going to step-up my dress, and walk in w/ a lady on each arm... :cool: (and Snaph... my mother isnt going to be one of them :hammering: :laughing: )

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:22 am

Stouff, as for your women on each arm, Cedes doesnt count and if you have to pay the ladies, they don't count either. Besides even if you did get a couple ladies we all know they would really be there for me. :getdown:
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:03 am

I really enjoy the DU banquets though in 15 years, I have never won anything. Not a call, a gun or anything. Oh well. And before you ask, yes, I participate in everything. I do have several nice paintings that were acquired through shear perseverance in the bidding process.

As for dress, I usually fall back on my mother’s advice. “It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed.” This hold true in all situation, be it for dinner or cold weather. If you wear nice jeans, wear a nice shirt and sport coat. You can always leave the coat on your chair. Otherwise, I would recommend slacks and a nice shirt. Wear a tie only if it has a duck theme to it. And at DU functions, camo and DU logo items are always in style. :salude:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:56 pm

DuffMaN wrote:Stouff, as for your women on each arm, Cedes doesnt count and if you have to pay the ladies, they don't count either. Besides even if you did get a couple ladies we all know they would really be there for me. :getdown:

Yeah yeah... kinda like that one "auction assitant woman" who gave you a coffee mug because she didnt want you to feel bad that she was hitting on me... :toofunny: :getdown:
------------

Rat Creek, I kinda found that out last night... There was a mixed bunch, some went all out and looked like they were at a wedding while some had nice pants and a DU shirt or tie, then there was me and Duff... we had our carhartts w/ some screen print tee's :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:09 pm

I love DU banquets....my dad, two brothers and I have done very well. All together we've gotten (all years combined) some duck calls, 4 paintings, mossy 500, canoe, portfolio with $250 and more raffle tickets...plus all of the door prizes. I'd say we're pretty lucky. I'm not exactly how many years all together that is. All I know is last time we went my mom said don't bring home a boat....that was the year we got the canoe. HAHA..

Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:52 pm

[ And now I know next year I am going to step-up my dress, and walk in w/ a lady on each arm... :cool: (and Snaph... my mother isnt going to be one of them :hammering: :laughing: )

-Stouff[/quote]

So next year you are going to wear a dress? If cross dressing is your thing... well... ok.. I, guess. Sisters and aunts don't count either. Maybe if you could find yourself a couple nice ladies, you could bribe them both to go with you for two cases of oil. Works everytime. Trust me.

:thumbsup:
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:23 pm

Snaph wrote:
So next year you are going to wear a dress? If cross dressing is your thing... well... ok.. I, guess. Sisters and aunts don't count either. Maybe if you could find yourself a couple nice ladies, you could bribe them both to go with you for two cases of oil. Works everytime. Trust me.

:thumbsup:

Ok, the case of oil thing I dont doubt (atleast of the kinda girls I'd take w/ me :yes: ) but you can just go ahead and imagine the rest of that.... that hurts to even thing about :hammering: :laughing:

Good one,
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole