the wife

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

the wife

Postby viper24k » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:28 pm

So i just got married this june....told her flat out..i'im gonna hunt alot.....i'm also in school and work three jobs......and have been going hunting 4 days a week....is this wrong......she finally broke down and said that i need to have a balance between her, school, work and hunting...what should i do....
Theres nothin better than a moonlit sunrise over a spread of dekes

She Thinks My Dog is Sexy

Quackin, Whackin and Stackin....
viper24k
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:54 pm

You can either
1 take her with your or
2 divorce her or
3 just ignore her and keep going until she hands you papers or
4 knock her up so she will have all the time with PART of you she wants or
5 (my favorite) go one day with her and aggrivate the crap out of her

just a few things you can do. :thumbsup:
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:06 pm

openwaterhunter2 wrote:5 (my favorite) go one day with her and aggrivate the crap out of her

I thought that guys just do this naturaly to thier spouses...everyday! :yes:

It wouldn't hurt to try to get her behind a shotgun and see if she has any interest to join you in the field.

Good luck man.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:43 pm

openwaterhunter2 wrote:You can either
1 take her with your or
2 divorce her or
3 just ignore her and keep going until she hands you papers or
4 knock her up so she will have all the time with PART of you she wants or
5 (my favorite) go one day with her and aggrivate the crap out of her

just a few things you can do. :thumbsup:

Seriously, you have to choose between option #1, working the sitchee-a-tion out w/ her, and doing exactly what she said.. (spread out yer time more)...

Yeah, that suks... but I think it is better that than what could happen if you keep putting it off :thumbsup:

Good Luck man :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:52 pm

Trust me it will get better with TIME. Soon enough you will be wanting HER to pay ALITTLE more attention to you (if ya know what I mean :yes: ). SO if ya want to get some... :getdown: ... you got to give some (catch my drift). :thumbsup:

Oh young love. :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: I wouldn't train another for nuttin.

I miss :salude: with buddys.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:14 pm

I would take her with you. At least if you dont see any birds you can still act out the birds and the bees with her.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby kms399 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:59 pm

just tell her that nine months of the year you are all hers and the rest of the time is for you.
i just try to annoy the crap out of her a couple days before a trip and she is glad to be rid of me.
ps come home with flowers.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:01 pm

Your screwed :hammering:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

unfortunatley

Postby cpa4u » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:56 pm

you are gonna have to make a few sacrifices here. i have been married for 19 years and i have a great wife, but during hunting season she always feels neglected - in her case more because i have a passion out side of her that she cant match with an interest of her own.

i have not yet been able to get her interested in a hobby of her own and she has NO interest in hunting with me. so what i end up doing is just making sure the time i do have available is hers (going out to eat, listening to her day, helping with the kids homework, etc.)

not perfect, but she certainly sees my effort which makes her want me to hunt all i want.

i assume you wanted a serious answer. that is what i tried to give.

anyhoo - also always remember my philosphy.....

Don't argure with your wife......dicker.

Best of luck.
cpa4u
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:Your screwed :hammering:

:withstupid: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:08 pm

That's funny.

She's right and you owe her the time. That is the art of a successful hunter and a successful married person. Finding the correct balance between marital bliss and your personal desire to smash ducks. Work and school are a must. Hunting and time with the fellas must take a back seat to your marriage. In time, especially when you are pouring attention on her, she invariably will say to you, "Hey, thanks for acknowledging me about needed more of your time, why don't you take this weekend to go and do what you want to do."

It's going to take you alot of years to perfect hunting/family time guidelines with your spouse, as any married man in here will attest to, but if done correctly and honestly it won't take as long as you think. Remember that a man can never really call himself a man if he doesn't spend time with his family. After you do this all other things will fall into place. BTW, quit working so much............free yourself from one job, use that time for duck hunting.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Re: unfortunatley

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:10 pm

cpa4u wrote:you are gonna have to make a few sacrifices here. i have been married for 19 years and i have a great wife, but during hunting season she always feels neglected - in her case more because i have a passion out side of her that she cant match with an interest of her own.

i have not yet been able to get her interested in a hobby of her own and she has NO interest in hunting with me. so what i end up doing is just making sure the time i do have available is hers (going out to eat, listening to her day, helping with the kids homework, etc.)

not perfect, but she certainly sees my effort which makes her want me to hunt all i want.

i assume you wanted a serious answer. that is what i tried to give.

anyhoo - also always remember my philosphy.....

Don't argure with your wife......dicker.

Best of luck.

This guy's got it! :thumbsup:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby hucklburry » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:20 pm

Since I was moving 3 states away, I asked my wife to move with me, before we were engaged. Yeah, living in sin and all that. It worked out, we got married.

That first fall, I hunted EVERY weekend day from opening bow season (Oct 1) through end of season (15 January) with a couple days off during the week hunting also. That was before we were engaged.

So the first year she was living with me, I hunted over 30 days in 3 1/2 months.

It worked. And was fun.

She sees my hunting time as her time. She has a clean house all weekend, does what she wants, etc. The dogs are gone, etc.

Now we have a 4 month old baby, we shall see how it goes. So far, so good. I can't wait until my little girl can/wants to go with me.

Personally I don't see how you got this far without her knowing about this. But she has a point. I work 1 job, no school, hunt. You have a lot going on. Between school, work, work, work, hunting, and her, she does deserve some time. Remember that.

--Jim
hucklburry
hunter

Postby alabamabronco » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:27 pm

couple of times when my buddies couldnt make a duck hunt,,,,,, i would know and just say to the wife...ya know.i'm gonna skip hunting and spend time with you.. :)married 3 years here....give and take man....give and take
alabamabronco
hunter

Be Smart

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:02 pm

If you wanted to be married don't abuse it. What you invest now will mutiply down the road. If you ignore her and hunt, she will always be jelous of you hunting. If you give her some quality time and respect her wishes she will be less resentful and down the road she will be supportive giving you more opportunity to hunt. I have four kids, my son is almost 4 and my wife is encouraging me to take him hunting.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 pm

I have been married 10 weeks now, and I am in school.

She loves to go with me, its time that we get to spend togeter. She will only go with about once a week, and if its a bluebird day. I still go out 4-5 days a week, and sometimes twice a day. She is very understanding, this is our last year in KS, the Best Bird State, and she is telling me to get out as much I can.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:25 pm

Viper, most of these guys nailed it. My thoughts are, you are spreading yourself too thin. 3 jobs, school and hunting 4 days a week. Come on, you are going to burn yourself out. I am not sure how you have time for her without hunting 4 days a week. If she said something about it, there is a problem. Drop one of the jobs or drop one day of hunting. At LEAST make one day for her. I'm tellin ya...find a balance or loose half of your stuff. I know you don't want to hear it dude.

Like the other guys said. Make her happy and she will be more than willing to give you all the hunting time you want. But that is gonna take some work on your part. I can't advise you about duck hunting, but I can tell you about a paycheck raped by child support. Best of luck.
Snaph
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:47 am

I agree you are spread kind of thin, but then again I am older and lazier than I once was. I would try taking her with you. My wife became interested in hunting after we were married. I went through the hunter safety course with her. Now she goes out with me sometimes. She likes that we spend time talking in between flights of birds, enjoys the dogs working and is a decent shot. She has come to appreciate my passion for water fowling. Or you may have to give up an evening of hunting every other week, and let’s be honest that isn’t too much for someone you love. Just try not to set yourself up that you are giving your wife and ultimatum or put her in a position that she is giving you one. You marriage is going to be better off if you can come up with compromises you can both accept.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:16 am

I would give in and spend a little more time with the wife. Hunting is a few months out of the year, but she is there everyday of the year. And plus, if you get a divorce, she gets half the decoys!!
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:45 am

there is some good advice here. your wife apparently needs something. she is a lot more important than hunting, your job, or anything else. if she isn't, you shouldn't have married her. find a way to make her happy...

marriage is all about sacrifice, you'll learn that soon. not just with hunting but all things in life. just wait till you have kids... :smile:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:51 am

goosecaller wrote:I would give in and spend a little more time with the wife. Hunting is a few months out of the year, but she is there everyday of the year. And plus, if you get a divorce, she gets half the decoys!!

:toofunny: :toofunny:

That's a good point! These guys (the ones that are being serious anyway) have all given you some great advice. I would listen to all of them. It's all about balance. Here in Georgia, duck hunting season won't come in for a little while yet, but rifle season for deer started this past Saturday. Between that, work, and the volunteer fire department, I have barely seen my husband since Friday night. He's hunting twice a day almost every day and eating supper at the deer camp every night. I'm not particularly fond of not seeing him (not to mention having to explain to the puppy where his favored parent is), but I know it's only for the opening week and I'll have him back soon. Find a balance that can include hunting and enough time with your new bride to keep her feeling happy, safe, and loved. And stop working so much if that's possible! Good luck!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:26 am

LMAO........

been married for 16 years and took the wife once, she will never go again she says its to taxing. the walking, the smell, the blood, the walking the waiting..... :yes: hey i tried to find the longest trail ever to take her on.
the blood.? it was a squirrel. i had to kill something.
but she has never asked since.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:06 am

Have you seen this bumper sticker;

My wife says that if I go hunting one more time she's going to leave me, God I'm gonna miss her.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:21 am

:welcome: Welcome to the world of married hunters.

It never ends.I've been hitched now for 25 years and it still is a chore to get things in balance.Once you do you have to keep at it and even then it gets away from you a bit.
Just settle in to the fact the life is very different now and make it work the best you can
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby poacher » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:10 pm

My EX wife gave me the same crap...you fish and hunt too much...so i took her with me on one of my trips. we spent 17 days in the Yukon targeting Grayling. after that i was sick of it. so i bought a 1 way plane ticket and was out. seroiusly, went to the airport and flew standby. havent spoken with her since, that was 3 years ago. the downside, i had to buy all new gear. the upside, i work 3 days a week, hunt and fish 4 days a week, and its the best decision i've ever made. i cant say you need to do the same, i suppose i went to extremes.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole