Mixing Decoy Species?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, #1wingnut, lostpup

Mixing Decoy Species?

Postby dbohunts » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 am

:help: Looking for advice on decoy placement. This will be my first year duck hunting on my own. I have drawn for several refuge hunts in my state of NC. The brochure the WRC sent me from the refuge's said the majority of what I would see would consist of pintails, teal, wigeon, and some ringneck and buffleheads. I have dekes for all of these species and mallards, when I put them out do I keep the species seperated? Do I seperate puddlers from divers? From what I have read placement is not as big of a deal as most believe, most use standard horeseshoe type placement but I was not sure about mixing species.

Thanks ahead of time for help, DBO
dbohunts
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:04 am

Normally the puddlers and divers are kept sperated. I like to put the species in their own family groups for the puddlers.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Park Duck » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:58 pm

same here but make sure you use divers they work wonders.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:32 pm

I like to have my divers about 20 feet farther out than my puddlers and to the left (im right handed). I make it kinda like an alley way. My farthest dek is about 40 yards. As far as mixing puddlers... unless you are trying to make your spread look different I wouldn't worry with pintail, teal, or wigeon deks. They will work on mallards. Just my 2 cents.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:44 pm

I like to have my divers about 20 feet farther out than my puddlers and to the left (im right handed). I make it kinda like an alley way. My farthest dek is about 40 yards. As far as mixing puddlers...

Intersting....I usually do it the same way! As far as species go, I mix, but I do seperate based on size, putting the smaller teal decoys out away from the mallards, Pintail, and blacks that make up the bulk of my spread.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:04 pm

I got to thinking and if the majority of your ducks aren't mallards then I would guess you should use what your greatest numbers of ducks are going to be.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:14 pm

i put the puddles in closer and the divers more out in open water. i use mostly drakes for divers.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dbohunts » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:16 pm

Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:
dbohunts
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole