Work or 1st day of lake season?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Work or 1st day of lake season?

Postby Snaph » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:15 pm

I don't know who wasn't thinking. My shop scheduled inventory for the first day of our lake season. I am out of vacation, only because of shop policy. My back was out and I missed two days of work. I had a doctors excuse, but that did not matter. I was forced to take two days vacation even though I said I would take it unpaid so I could save it for lake season.
Getting out of inventory is hard enough to get out of even if you do have vacation left.

We are only aloud so many hours of unpaid time before we get in trouble. I am 8 hrs in the hole for the Goose hunt in Canada. I need a plan. I have come up with a few.

1. It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Just blow off. The downside; I work worth the guys I hunt with. They are not involved with inventory. All three of us missing and me not being there would be would be painfully obvious.

2. Tell my boss strait up I have been waiting all year for this day. I have not dumped a bunch of time and money into duck hunting stuff, just to miss opening day of lake season. And if I still had vacation time I would not be there anyway...See ya Tuesday dude. Downside; Leaves nobody to do my job. Makes boss mad, boss get revenge by making me do crap work.

3. Quit my job and live off the land. Downside; I don't have much land to live off of.

4. I talked to the guy that follows me on 2nd shift. He wanted to take the day off because it is his Dad's last day of work and wanted to go to his retirement party that night. The plan: He covers me from 7 AM till eleven, or twelve o'clock. He only needs to take a half day of vacation instead of a full day. I only burn 4 hours of unpaid time instead of 8. The guys I hunt with can't hunt that night. I haul azz from work and setup by myself anyway because they were not going to be there in the first place. Downside; I say it is a win-win. My boss might think differently.

5. Just go to work and stew about it. Downside; I'm stewing. Boss wins.

6. Make up a giant lie why I can't be there that day. Downside; see plan number one.

7. Get my limit by seven AM be to work by eight. Downside; That has been my plan for deer hunting for over 20 years. Never happened.

I think I am going to try plan #4. If that does not work...looks like plan #5. I can't miss the first day. I have done too much work and reading and planning to miss it. But I have a bad feeling. Then again our duck season is long and maybe I am blowing this out of proportion. I mean, how important is the first day anyway?

It's important. In the ten years I have worked there, inventory was always on a Thursday and Friday, Now on that first day of lake...Monday and Tuesday...this is like a kick in the crotch.
Snaph
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:04 am

I would go with #4, because you sure as hell won't pull off #7 :laughing:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:04 am

Ask the boss ahead of time about #4 (make your the other guy is aware of it 1st). Tell him this would be a way to keep 2 guys happy if he agrees to it. But you may end up working 1.5 shifts if the other other guy is scheduled to work the evening. Or maybe you both do a straight out swap on the shifts.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:14 am

Admin2 wrote:Ask the boss ahead of time about #4 (make your the other guy is aware of it 1st). Tell him this would be a way to keep 2 guys happy if he agrees to it. But you may end up working 1.5 shifts if the other other guy is scheduled to work the evening. Or maybe you both do a straight out swap on the shifts.

:withstupid: I would always recommend you stay away from the tangled web of deceit. It only causes problems. If you can present to your supervisor both the problem and the solution, he/she will be much more willing to accept it. This has worked 100% of the time for me, and I can’t think of a time that it didn’t work for my direct reports. And best of all, it doesn’t come across as whining about time off.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:55 pm

#4 worked just fine, everybody is happy. The guy on 2nd shift saved himself four hours of vacation time. And since he is not going to be there I can stay over and make up any time I missed. That might be hard to do if the ducks are moving through the spot I have picked out for the evening. I will worry about that later. I'm covered and everybody wins.
:thumbsup: I asked my boss about it at the end of the day when he had caught up on most of his work and explained it to him way that it took no thought on his part. Rockin.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Sounds good Snuggs :yes: :salude:

Give it to 'em :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole