New DHC'er Gets His First Ducks!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

New DHC'er Gets His First Ducks!!

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:41 pm

Hey all..I took JimboPDX out for a hunt down on the Lower Columbia river today. after a real tough start to the day that had me sweating bullets as to whether or not we were actually going to hunt in the AM or not..i got us set up in a little spot that was decent enough to get us a few birds until the tide came in enough to get me down river to the area i REALLY wanted to hunt.

as it turns out...i found a new little honey hole today and we hunted it for the first time. it was armpit deep in water and hiding in the tules while swatting decoying birds in the flooded "field" on the interior of the island....but Jimbo and my buddy from work (who also was on his first duck hunt) toughed it out and this was the result...

13 ducks between 3 hunters...though Jimbo and my buddy got first shots at all ducks. i was just batting cleanup. a damn fine day considering most people i talked to didn't do near that well.

here is me and Jimbo at the end of the day. I am on the left.

Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:51 pm

Ha ha, way to go SWAMPs and JIMBO!!!

so did Swamp pup take the pic? or was he in the truk? :toofunny:

Good goin guys,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:14 pm

Way to go swampy!
tstrong
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:08 am

it is always a good hunt when someone shoots there first bird... i still rember mine i was 8 and i had to ask my brother if those were ducks flying around (i though they were black birds there were so many) and if they were could i shoot them ... about the third shot i took was at a mesquito and although i think i got it the dogs could find it :)

nice job you 3
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:02 am

congrats on the good hunt ya'll :salude:
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby JimboPDX » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:16 pm

First things first...thank you Swamppuppy! :thumbsup: For those of you who have been on this board for a while, you already know the Pupster is a wealth of knowledge, willing to share, and a good hunter. What you may not know is he is just a cool person and a hell of a guy. You can learn lots about someone by hunting with them and I am glad to have him as a friend.

As for the hunt...It was just awesome. Chugging along in a boat in pitch black with a spotlight. Setting up deeks in a likely spot, watching God light up the world before out eyes and birds flying all around. Just like OLN! We dropped a few right off the bat, my first duck was a green wing teal. We then watched Tug (swamppy’s dog) chase down a hidden bird and retrieve it all without a shot fired!

We then found that honey hole Swamppuppy mentioned. Great spot for sure. It was a submerged island that at low tied is ankle deep and at high tide is chest/chin/or more deep. It was a bunch of reeds with a small channel through it and a bowl of open water in it. We set up the deek, hid the boat, and set up waist deep in water. Then it was to :hammering: music now.....Ohhh-ohhh-ohhh-Stop...Hammer Time! :hammering: We dropped 8 ducks in about 90 minutes less. I shot another GW teal and a Spooner. Missed way too many Mallards & Pintails to tell you guys....What a day.

Great hunting, great scenery, great company. Can’t wait to get out again. So Swamppuppy...I have a reservation on Sauvies B hunt for Deadwillow November 20th and I hope you can make it! :thumbsup: :salude:
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:28 pm

Congratulations guys, sounds like a great day!

Swamp, you get some quack-addicts jonesin' for some more? :salude:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:45 pm

yup.. :getdown:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole