Need some advice

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Need some advice

Postby cmelik10 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:00 am

Okay guys I need alittle advice here, I am getting very frustrated with this season thus far. I have put in hours and hours of scouting and asking for permission for literally hundreds of different sloughs and pot holes to hunt this year. Yesterday my roomate and I were hunting this spot that I have watched for about a week, I knew where the birds like to sit, when they left and when they came back ect. We setup where I have seen birds sitting for the last two days and when the birds started flying they would just fly by and go to the other side of the pond never even giving us a second look.

This has been happening all season, I scout a place and the next morning sit right where the birds where only to have them fly to the opposite side of the pond. We have tried using every decoy we own, we tried not using any decoys, we tried using half a dozen decoys, mojos, no mojos. We tried calling alot and not calling at all and everything in between.

I am not really sure what to try next, our honey holes aren't even producing for us anymore. Anyone have any suggestions on something I can try the next time I go out.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:18 pm

Scott
The birds must be seeing something, and I am guessing since you have tried all of your options with calling and decoys, it is time to examine your blind and yourself and your roommate. I don’t know how but one or both of you are the cause. Might be your faces, hands, movement, etc. but you two are the only option. Put a critical eye, from a distance, on the blind when someone is in it. Can they be seen? Does the blind blend into the area? Can movement be seen? Anything shine? Do things look natural?
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:10 pm

yup there is just something they are seeing that just aint right..

maby its your decoys/placement/type
i had some blacky's that wanted nothing to do with me and kept looking at my woodies and flairing.

do you use facemasks/ facepaint?
is the camo you are wearing old and faded, and does it match the surroundings.

what type of ducks are you seeing in this area mostly?
Rowdy
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole