Kinda humerous event this past weekend

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Kinda humerous event this past weekend

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:52 pm

Went out to our local spot this past weekend for some duck busting. We are sitting there pretty much in the open and I look out over the marsh at about eye level and I see a reflection of a duck coming in. I say to my buddies "Damn, I see its reflection in the water but where the hell is the duck?" This thing was coming in fast, low over the horizon with the sun to its rear and left. My other buddy looks up and says "Oh hell, right there!" Three 12 gauges come up, three buck off a round, one mallard hen drops dead 10 yards from the decoys. All three of us hit her; head, wing, body. When we came up to shoot she flared and attempted to go straight up.

Why is that humerous? Well at first none of us saw her, she was that low with the horizon and sun at her back. She was moving fast, she wanted the deocy. When we hit her she literally was thrown back a bit and dropped hard on the water.

10 minutes later one of the other guys pops one and when he goes to look for it can not find it. We all think "Damnit, lost bird." When it went down it went down hard also and we knew for sure it was dead. WRONG! 30 minutes later we see a wounded duck swimming out across the marsh! My buddy Kyle looks over and says "Hey, there goes your duck." and we start laughing. I jumped up and went on pursuit. Had to cripple shoot it on the water cause she would not let me get to close. The initial shot must have just broke the wing, when we started to look for her she "ducked" (hehe) into the weeds and waited till she thought it was safe.
Penguine
hunter

Postby kms399 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:04 pm

i have had stuff like that happen before. my buddy and i shot 3 ring bills and all of them landed in the weeds right in front of the boat just far enough out that we couldnt see them. then two teal buzz by and we drop one of those and at the sound of the shot two of the ringbills flew away out of the weeds. both of us with empty guns.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:00 pm

A flock of birds came in once, I shot one and then placed my attention at the other bird to shoot it. I got up to go find the bird I nocked down, I couldn't find the damn thing and it only landed a few feet from the blind. I gave up and went to get back into the blind. I look in the blind and ask my partner, "hey, did you throw this spoony in my blind". His reply was what spoony? Some how the thing bounced into my blind and I didn't even know it, because I was busy shooting at the other bird.

Then there was the time I shot this teal. It had a quarter sized hole in it. I was plucking it and for some reason I decided to stick my finger inside the huge hole. I poked my finger inside and it hit a wall, something hard. I said, "What the hell is this?" Then I pulled it out, it was the wad! :eek:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole