Do you guys think this is true?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Do you think this is true?

Yes
25%
No
35%
Sort of
40%

Total votes : 20

Do you guys think this is true?

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:11 pm

If you are like me, there is nothing in all of God’s creation that is at the same time more fascinating, more mystifying, more elegant, more perplexing, more frustrating, more inspirational, more stirring, more thought-provoking, more awe-inspiring and, most of all, more mentally, physically, and spiritually fulfilling than are ducks. I am forever-more amazed every time ducks, as a result of sitting still in duck country listening and watching, teach me something new. Never was my thinking about ducks, specifically duck calling, more revolutionized than the instant I discovered that ducks do not “feed call” as I and every other duck hunter in the world has assumed ducks to do. I can hear what you’re thinking as you’re reading this…”This guy’s gone off his rocker. OF COURSE ducks call when they’re feeding!” Trust me, if you think about what I am about to discuss with an open mind, not only will your way of thinking about certain duck vocalizations transform, your duck calling will most certainly tend to be more realistic and, thus, more effective.

First of all, I want to clarify that what I am talking about in this article is not some revolutionary new duck sound/vocalization that I am claiming to have been the first to discover. The vocalizations I will be referring to will be sounds that all who have spent even a nominal amount of time listening to ducks have heard. What is revolutionary about my discovery is the fact that I have figured out precisely what a duck is and is not ‘saying’ when he is making those sounds commonly referred to as “feeding” sounds.

We’ve all heard it, the bursts of sharp, sometimes rapid-fire clucks of a mallard hen when she and a few dozen of her buddies are piled up in the middles of corn rows or in a raft of pin oak acorns that have drifted up on a huge fallen tree in about a foot of musty water. In my minds ear I can hear ‘em now…guh-guh-guh…goo-goo-goo-goo…gah-gah….gah-gah-gah-gah…geh-geh…you get the picture. Nothing revolutionary yet, huh. No, but consider for a minute a lone hen swimming through a field. Can you hear her? What is she saying? She may say a number of things, but, when I came to discover that one thing she would never say while alone is that sharp burst of “feeding clucks”, my mind was plucked to consider what in the world she was meaning when she so forcefully and sometimes obnoxiously spouted off the burst of clucks when in the company of her buddies. Hmmm…Got you interested, now, huh. You may want to read that one again slowly… She may say a number of things, but, when I came to discover that one thing she would never say while alone is that sharp burst of “feeding clucks”…………

While watching a bunch of ducks feeding on corn one day, the light came on. It was so powerful and mind-blowing I’ll never forget it. My hope is that at some point while reading this you will be equally blown away by the realization I experienced the instant I thought of my crazy dog’s reaction to me or anybody or anything else that comes near him when he’s got his face down in his food bowl and how synonymous this reaction was to how ducks react to other ducks when feeding. What does the dog do? He growls. Why does he growl…to warn others not to come near his grub. Ducks are such a magnificently beautiful and colorful critter, it is hard for us hunters to think of them as something as mean as a junkyard dog, but, the fact is, they are! Ducks are hateful. And, more importantly, they are gluttons. Think about it…when do you hear the most intense, fast and seemingly violent sounding feed calls? Answer: the same time you see ducks flying at their swiftest; when they’re screaming about 100 yards high in a group of about 50 headed from a loafing or roosting area to a grain field where they are intending to eat ‘til their crawl’s bust. It’s almost as if a duck is obsessed with the fear of another duck getting to the grub before them and, once there, getting more than them. (Sounds a lot like some duck hunters I know.) This concept of ducks “growling” began as a theory for me a couple years ago. Since then, though, through countless observations, I have become completely convinced of the reality that growling is exactly what ducks are doing when we hear these sounds. Case in point: watch ducks, you will only hear this sound when another duck, while feeding, is encroached upon or passed up by another feeding duck. Most of the time, while feeding, a mallard hen will be making a super-soft whistling type sound. In fact, this sound, much like the purr of a cat, is communicating nothing. She is just being. Then, as a duck gets in her “space”, her immediate feeding area…”GUH-GUH-GUH-GUH”…How awesome to think of it this way.

Even more exciting for duck callers is the realization that if this is what a duck is saying, “…get the heck away from my food, or else”, any pussy-footing-around, sissified, pretty-boy, “tic-tic-tic-tickin’-through-the-tulips” feed-call bull that is so often heard from even supposed pro callers simply ain’t gettin’ it! In other words, the tip here is, when you’re feed callin’ you ain’t sayin’, “MMMM, this is good stuff, Maynard”, you’re “GROWLIN’”!
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby sirduckington » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Interesting read....thanks for posting.
sirduckington
hunter

Postby kms399 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:42 pm

very interesting and well written i will have to watch for that now. i have kind of noticed it with geese after fred zink said something about it in the calling video he made.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:08 pm

As I read that one word kept resounding in my head............plagiarism. But regardless, it is a thought provoking and interesting read, well done.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby hucklburry » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:01 pm

I watches some mallards a few weeks ago. I saw a drake grab an acorn. He couldn't eat it fast, like he was trying to break it open. He dropped it, another drake grabbed it up. Walked away, dropped it, grabbed it before a hen could snag it, she tried to get it.

I think if one duck is giving a feeding call, it means there is food here. The other ducks want food, why not go where the food is? I don't know that the ducks are going to care if one duck is trying to horde it all, they want to be where the food is.

Just my $0.02, I don't have a clue!
hucklburry
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:45 pm

I dont' think its growling because when i go to the park in the spring geese don't make a noise they just hiss at each other, im pretty sure ducks can do the same thing. And if it did mean get away why would ducks still be comming in and none leaving? but i really don't notice ducks making the "feeding call" out in the field I hear it when they are flying.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:18 pm

Goose boy I really like your post. I clicked no though because if a feeding call was growling wouldnt that mean that the feeding call of the hunter wouldnt be effective and would actually scare the bird? And most hunters know how effective the call can be.

:thumbsup:

May I also commend you on your eerily improved spelling, structure and writing. Its almost as if a profesional wrote it. :cool:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

SCRATCHIN MY HEAD!?!?

Postby Brydog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:35 am

I"m not so sure I believe that. Most times, when I hear that aggresive "Feed Chuckle" the birds are usually in flight, buzzing my dekes. But on the other hand, I've also heard them do it when they're feeding. I think they're saying,,,"Come on down......the foods great" The ones in flight are saying "OK...We'll be right there.....gonna take one more lap".
I had a lone Greenhead buzz me twice this morning, looked like he wasn't sure, so I blew a short feed chuckle and he swung around and came in with his landing gear down and cupped wings.I shot him in the lips at 15 yards.
Fetch um up pup!!!! :getdown:

Well written story tho. You should be a writer. :salude:

Gloating: That Greenhead was # 47 for my 7 month old YLM. Yip...Yooooo!
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Benelli Slinger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:26 pm

it makes sense to me however when i hear ducks making "the feeding call" they are usually about 100 yards high and dont pay any mind to my deeks, but on the other hand geese do fight and make noise over their food at a local park
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:57 pm

I used my feeding call this morning a lot. Seems like that is all that the ducks liked today.

By the way, you should just paste the link to that story, give the author credit, or say "this was taken from...used by permission....etc...."
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Mallards do make a feed call which is different than what "most" folks do on the old duck call. Yes the call "most" folks do is while they are flying. In my experince mallards make the same call while feeding/content but much less aggressive than the flying mallards. For instants last yr we found a hole with 2 thou or so of mallards making this noise.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:00 pm

Hey guys sorry but as much as I would like to I cant take credit for writing this. It was taken off of the calling ducks website. Although my teachers do say that I am a good writer so I'll try to think of something about the mornings out in the blind to post up here for you guys to read! :thumbsup:

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:17 pm

kiwismakebetterhunters wrote: eerily improved spelling, structure and writing. Its almost as if a profesional wrote it. :cool:

Ooops I was on to something :laughing: . No but a very good point all the same :thumbsup:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Teehee! :tounge:

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Gooseboy wrote:Hey guys sorry but as much as I would like to I cant take credit for writing this. It was taken off of the calling ducks website. Although my teachers do say that I am a good writer so I'll try to think of something about the mornings out in the blind to post up here for you guys to read! :thumbsup:

Do your teachers say anything about your clear aversion to apostrophes???

:getdown:
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole