WHATS WRONG WITH ME!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

WHATS WRONG WITH ME!

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:24 pm

Ok i took some advice in the duck calling forum and started to say ticka ticka ticka everywhere and now i chuckle worse than i used to! Gosh i love duck calling to. Has this happened to anyone? What should i do, i get mad for everything now just because i cant make a damn feed call.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby reloanman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:08 pm

Im in the same boat as you my friend. I feel like a loser when all my buddies do it but I cant. Someone help us out here.
reloanman
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:30 pm

Keep practicing! When I first started out it seemed after a while I wasn't improving, then all of a sudden you just start to get the hang of things.
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:32 pm

yeha that isn't good i got luck it can natural to me i jsut try to make the smame sound as my brother did one time and bam just got lucky
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:14 pm

Get a CD. I bought Keith Alan's instructional CD. He starts from the very basics of just blowing warm air through a call up to double cutting. They're not real expensive and that is what I can attribute my calling abilities too even if my abilities aren't real great.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:22 pm

One thing that really helped me was to listen to ducks sitting on a pond and flying in the air. What I learned was that when ducks are on the water they do not do the "tickatickaticka" rapid fire that we as callers tend to do, instead they do that when they are flying in the air. When they are on the water it is more of a broken "tick tick tickaticka tick ticka tick". This might help you out alittle bit.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:55 pm

duckboy_390 wrote:Keep practicing!

Dang straight! I had the same problem as you guys but now with ALOT of practice I can now chuckle in my sleep!
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby roscoesbuddy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 am

for me i couldn't do ticka ticka i just bought the RNT CD and it said to use tucka tucka and that little change was easier for me to do so just keep trying similar words and find what works for you. plus if you start slow just say tucka tucka tucka tucka tuckatuckatucka and slowing progress faster thats how i taught my self to do it.just keep praciticing say the word every time you get a chance even if you don't have a call and it will come
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby reloanman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 am

Thanks for the info guys. I know I will try some of these.
reloanman
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:48 am

I've been blowing a duck call since I was 5 and the feed call was the hardest thing for me to get right. I would get tongue tied after a second or two. I just kept practicing at it and one day it clicked.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby bluebilldays » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:03 am

This stuff takes time! You can try duga, digga,tuga, or ticka. Practice to see what you like. The best way(for me) was to start off with slow notes, first two, three, then four. As you get more comfortable with it and your mouth and tounge get use to it, speed it up, and so on. Next thing you know you will be where you want to be. Also, make sure you have a nice easy blowing call to
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby WNGSHTR » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:06 am

Dont worry about rolling it, these guys are right on the money. Ducks only feed chuckle while in the air. And its never a rolling call. Try doing this, Tick,tick.tick,tick DA,tick,tick,tick,DA,tick,tick,tick,DA and so on. It drives them red legs nuts. Have fun
WNGSHTR
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:04 pm

I mean i know how and was pretty good at it but i woke up one day and now i suck! :help:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:23 pm

I was taught to say TICKET, TICKET, TICKET. You need the hard T sound at the end. I say TICKET, TICKET, TICKET and then a little TICKIT, TACKIT, TOOKA! Back to Ticket

:getdown:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:56 pm

You know what gooseboy, I've been hunting alot longer than you've been alive, to be honest with ya my feeder call sucks!

Thats no buddys fault but mine, I know I'm going back and trying again. There is some good advice here from these boys :thumbsup:
Last edited by 870 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Re: WHATS WRONG WITH ME!

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:31 pm

Gooseboy wrote:WHATS WRONG WITH ME!

Too many jokes...

:getdown:
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:14 pm

:withstupid: :laughing: That wasnt a joke hunting wife? :laughing:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby bullet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:45 am

Like a single quack you need to add voice to your chuckle. Whatever it is that you say, should come from the diaphram. Hot air. You've obviously have the birds decoying, a few tiks mixed in w/ a soft quack is all you'll need. [/u]
bullet
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:42 am

reloanman wrote:Im in the same boat as you my friend. I feel like a loser when all my buddies do it but I cant. Someone help us out here.

Yeah, I pretty much can't quack worth a damn so when we go out hunting I am forbidden to touch a call, which is ok by me :getdown:
Penguine
hunter

Postby benelliduckman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:18 pm

The only time mallards do the TICKA TICKA TICKA call is when they are flying over a feeding area. You should do the feeding chuckle instead that is a series of quick fast quacks and then three chop chops mixed in.
benelliduckman
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:05 pm

Penguine wrote:
reloanman wrote:Im in the same boat as you my friend. I feel like a loser when all my buddies do it but I cant. Someone help us out here.

Yeah, I pretty much can't quack worth a damn so when we go out hunting I am forbidden to touch a call, which is ok by me :getdown:

me to! when I call people give me bad looks. :laughing: in fact one time my huntin buddie hid my call
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 pm

benelliduckman wrote:feeding chuckle instead that is a series of quick fast quacks

Sounds like an alarm call?
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole