Migration Mapping

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

do you participate in the migration map?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 16

Migration Mapping

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:26 am

I'm sure most of you are aware of the migration mapping system shared on the Waterfowler.com and Ducks Unlimited web sites. I check it everyday and report on the days I hunt or spend time in the bottoms, about 4 to 7 days a week. Many times on the days you don't hunt you can report on activity in your area. our local flock of pond geese is about 20 to 30 birds yesterday it grew to about 150 so I know there are new birds moving in.

I feel this can be a usefull forcasting tool as to when the ducks will arrive. the more people that will report on a regular basis the better it will be for me and the rest of you too. I know I should of hunted today because the activity level went up in the states noth of missouri yesterday.

Check it out. http://www.ducks.org/Waterfowling/Migra ... /index.asp

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:12 am

I think in theory it's a good idea, but some locations it wouldn't work in.

Some may call me selfish, but I don't want everyone in the US to know where I hunt and how many birds are here. Somebody mentioned on another forum last year about the success they were having at a given place. That place just so happened to be where I hunted also. When there normally was 7-10 trucks on the weekend I counted 34 after that. There's barely enough spots for 10 groups let alone 34. It was a mad house.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:52 am

Caleb is right in that loose lips sink ships theory.
For example, yesterday when I mentioned that some birds were moving in the northern plains, I said mention if your state is seeing fresh birds. The point being, it is a general location VS a specific one, and most will report in a very general way, but not specific places, like "I was SW of ABC City and there are tons of Mallards there". I would never condone telling people of specific places so as not to overrun the place like what to Caleb last year. I too have seen the ill results of big mouths when it comes to fishing, it went from decent fishing to boats galore in 1 weeks time because somebodies ego just had to brag where he was catching them :eek: (I found out he bragged at the bait shop of all places :pissed: ) . Part of the deal is one should be scouting, whether it be hunting or fishing. Telling a trusted VG friend is one thing, but specific reports on the interent will just PO people that live/hunt/fish in the immediate area of a specific report. There are internet hunters who only scout using the internet gleening any info so they have a place to go where they think a concentration of birds will be. So I do not do specific reports for that reason, nor encourage others to either. General reporting of info is OK though and is encouraged.

As for the mapping, in theory it is pretty good, but I've seen such varying reports for the same state, you know some are purposefully skewing the reported #s. Then there is the highly varying standards of activity too. 1 guy seeing a flock of 50 Mallards and reports high activity, while another one says that is moderate while I would consider that very low activity compared to what I am used to. My point being is that there are too many variables of reports for it to be of much use for it beyond in the very general way.

That is my personal view of this, I'm sure others have their own view though too. :yes:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:29 am

I am reporting as an avid waterfowl lover, I understand where you guy's are comming from but I don't look at it in that light. I am in the marsh about 4 days a week my job has me driving through the Mo river bottoms daily, I observe waterfowl movement along the river every day. there are days ( No I haven't seen it yet this year) when i see flock after flock of birds moving down the river to me that is a heavy activity day. as i mettioned eariler a local flock that moves from city park lake/pond picked up 75 birds there was some migration i didn't see it but there are more birds, to me that is light migration.

as far as giving up a spot I'm responding by zip code where I saw the birds. I live in missouri we have 2 chioces, public or private land, there are very few secret duck hot spot around here, the News paper puts out a weekly duck report with how many of what is where. The State manages most waterfowl areas, and have a great web site I can tell you how many hunters got to hunt and how many were turned away and what the sucess rate was by location for any given day for the last 2 seasons and it is updated at least 2 times a week durring the season. with that said if your dumb enough to post I wacked a limit at the cove north of the launch ramp at duckville lake 3 day's in a row you deserve to have 16 boats there with you in the morning.

I understand there are places where it can be very competive, I agree it's every hunter job to find duck's, set up & work them in. I'm in a private duck club that's awsome but not because of the shear # of ducks we kill. there are days when birds move through and we do very well. but it's slow most of the time. I have shot one limit in 5 years of hunting there. but it is 35 minutes from my house so i can hunt often for a couple of hours and get a duck or two. when I feel the need to work / kill lot's of ducks I hunt the public areas I get up and leave at 2 o'clock, drive 2 hours for the opportunity to stand in line to draw a good pill so i can shlep 100 decoys on my back through a marsh to set up my mobile spread in the best spot I can find / get to, all before shooting time. or go home, it's the luck of the draw, most day's there are people that have to go home or hunt somewhere else.

I rambled onto other subjects but it helps explain my point of view. I just want to know when the people on the river north of me are seeing birds so I can better predict when the migration is on and the rewards of hunting the next 3 or 4 days in a row are worth it. If it was up to me I'd live at the duck club through out the season but I have a wife and kids that I want to keep, that is another subject for a poll how many days in a row can you hunt before your wife starts bitching? mine is about 3.

frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole