Cormorants

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Cormorants

Postby hankrt » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:18 pm

What to heck is going on with all of the silly Cormorants???? In our state of Michigan there are now thousands that migrate here in the spring. It is estimated that each bird will eat up to 1 1/2 pounds of fish every single day, and they will eat fish that are up to 16 inches long!!! What's with that??? They are eating everything in sight, and our DNR has their heads in their rear ends and won't allow us to crop a few of the silly things. This has got to have a major impact on the future fishing in this great state, and I say shoot a few, get the population down to a managable size.................what purpose do they serve anyway, their uglier than sin!!! Those are my thoughts.
hankrt
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:22 pm

and the are going south kansas has there share as well flock after flock flying
who knows they might be the next snow goose and soon it will be 20 a day :salude:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:27 pm

Yea, down in Kansas they probably gobble up all of your Bass, and Crappie. Up here they eat the dog snot out of the Perch, Walleye, Salmon, Trout, and anything else they can get their ugly beaks into.
hankrt
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:30 pm

I think they are federally protected, similar to Pelicans.

MN DNR did a culling of them on Leech Lake this summer, killed hundreds of them and destroyed many eggs too.

Thier numbers had swelled to 100 fold in less than 10 years time.

I remember hearing up in MB on Lake Manitoba I think it was, there was a huge rookery there, a group did a clandestine operation and literally thousands were killed and all nests destroyed. Officials suspected it took several days to do. They suspected it was Indians or commercial fishermen that did it, this was 1.5 years ago.

So yes they can be a problem. And I agree, the USFWS needs to overhaul how they regulate them.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:54 pm

Yes, they are protected by the feds. Something about they were endangered back when DDT was in use.

At our duck hole we'll have 2,000 or more stick around for the entire winter along with pelicans.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:01 pm

I have the same complaints hank as we are so very close, good news though I found a dead one yesterday on a island LOL :eek: Some did a no no, I also heard that MDNR was killing some off this past year, they cannot just destroy teh nest beings the nasty pricks will re-nest so they spray them with cornoil and the commys sit on the nest not knowing and by teh time the stupid things realize its to late, but yes there are entirely to many of them!
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Geardown » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:37 pm

To bad if they happen to cross in front of that fat mallard I just missed!! :eek: :eek:
Geardown
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:34 pm

there getting pretty thick here too. use to see hardly any. last time we went hunting we probly saw 100 of them.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:00 am

Yes, I had heard about the oiling trick on the nests somwhere near the streights. Supposidly only something like 43 chicks were hatched out of an estimated 5,000 that would have survived if the MDNR hadn't went in and fixed the problem. I'm not sure if my figures are exact, but it was something like that. So I am sure the State finally realises that we do have a problem on our hands, and that Duck Hunters although could put a dent in their population, I don't think we could do it alone......................unless they put a $50 bounty on their heads, then, well, maybe??!!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:53 am

Well I have said for a few years now open a season on them, give a bag limit, make us shoot steel, hell I'll even buy a 5-10$ stamp to shoot the nasty pricks.The only good commy is a dead commy, I honestly see not positive impact on the environments they're in, go look at islands on Erie they are white with droppings from them and I have heard of to many little fishing towns being shut down because of these things. :pissed:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:19 am

These birds are not really a problem where we hunt, we've seen less than 10 this whole season

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:47 am

You guys think you've seen Cormorants? Come out to the Charity Islands in the summer. We walleye fish all the time out there and you literally see thousands upon thousands land on the islands. Little Charity now is nothing but a couple dead trees.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby Bronc72 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:45 am

They are an invasive species from Asia, They some how were introduced in Florida many years ago, and now are here in Michigan all over. Last spring up at Houghton Lake, I must have seen hundreds nested back in the big swamp. Worse part of it there must have been 30 birdwatchers all exited and taking pictures of them.
Bronc72
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:35 am

If those silly birdwatchers were fisherman they would be taking their pictures with "SHOTGUNS" It wont be long before they wipe out the fishing in Erie if the MDNR, or ODNR doesn't get hold of them and do some serious strangeling. The Gentleman from Manitoba replied, I'm not sure they migrate that far north............................yet!! Look out though, if they do, they will eat every fish in sight, 1 1/2 pounds per day, per bird, fish up to 16-17 inches, those are some nice eating Canadian Walleye going down the throats
of an import!!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:39 pm

I agree we see more and more each year, this year I have seen well into thousands of them, I love finding the dead ones it makes me laugh and smile, I have seen several hit by boats and what not, the other day we drove through a raft a few miles out on Erie that must have had a few thousand in it, the sky turned black but not in a good way, I talked with a Federal Warden this year and we said something about the commys and he said something along the lines of we're still trying to get a season for them, so my take is some people higher up are realizing the nuisance problem, hopefully they will do something and soon

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:43 pm

hankrt wrote:Look out though, if they do, they will eat every fish in sight, 1 1/2 pounds per day, per bird, fish up to 16-17 inches, those are some nice eating Canadian Walleye going down the throats
of an import!!!

Yikes!! Sounds like these birds are or will be a major problem for you guys and i'm very suprised that your state DNR or the feds have not stepped in to take hold of the situation to a bigger extent before your sport fishery is wiped out or decimated to very low numbers of fish. I can't see how they are considered a protected bird if they have been introduced to the country. Here in Mb, take for example wild boar or ring neck phesants, although thier numbers are very low in the province they are an introduced species to the province and there is no hunting regs for them meaning we can shoot them year round with no limits. If cormorants are migratory(I don't know much about them) there are some pretty sticky laws involving migratory birds so I think you'd have to start petitioning(sp) the federal government to start a cull on the birds.

Next time I see a CO, i'll have to ask him or her about shooting these introduced species as well.

mallardman77
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:23 pm

Now that sounds like the right way to approach species that are not native to your country. If our regulators would support that method then we wouldn't have species like Gobies, Zebra Mussells, and Cormorants to name a few. They are all changing the face of the great lakes. And then to mention the right to life activists that protect everything under the sun regardless of what it does to the enviroment. Canada is looking more and more like a great place to live..............well, let me think on that a little more.....lol
hankrt
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:20 pm

ya cormorants can be aggrivating. also when im goose hunting i think their canadians off in a distancs. then at about 100 yd. i can tell who they are. :thumbsdown:
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:20 pm

Hey look at the night side if they let us kill them they do band them :getdown:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:24 pm

Them freaking gobies...I hate them. They told us to kill them if we catch them. I killed at least 20 last summer. Zebra mussels, well they cleaned the bay up so good, that now the water is so clear that weeds are growing like mad. I am really surprised that I have not seen one cormorant yet this year. I think the coots and the grebes ate them all. I don't know.
Snaph
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:48 pm

hankrt wrote: Canada is looking more and more like a great place to live..............well, let me think on that a little more.....lol

:toofunny: :toofunny:

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:49 pm

We have a quite a few here in Oklahoma depending on where you go. The Chinese use them to fish. They will put a long rope on there neck with a certain type of knot, and right when the Commy is about to swallow a fish they will pull the rope and then pull it in and keep the fish.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby 870 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:54 pm

The answer to the cormorants, and helping the ducks are one in the same. Around here they live trap raccoons in have-a-hart traps so as to not eat the duck eggs. Then they release them on the islands that the cormorants nest on. You can see where I’m going with this, once they finish with the eggs they swim off. Seems to work around here, also I’ve only heard of this :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:27 pm

mallardman77 wrote:These birds are not really a problem where we hunt, we've seen less than 10 this whole season

that isbeacsue they are all in the U.S. and i don't think they like the cold much
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:32 pm

Gooseboy wrote:We have a quite a few here in Oklahoma depending on where you go. The Chinese use them to fish. They will put a long rope on there neck with a certain type of knot, and right when the Commy is about to swallow a fish they will pull the rope and then pull it in and keep the fish.

wow pretty neat
but i do that that is about all they would be good for
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole