success

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

success

Postby duckweed » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:49 am

i finally tricked one. i was having trouble hunting public land but this morning i found a nitch. i was sitting there and watching flock after flock working other spreads. when this loner breaks off and circles mine. well i put down my foiles straight meat mallard and grabbed an old wodden calls and gave a couple of quacks and feeding call. that was when he made the ultimate mistake. he cupped his wings and put his landing gear down so.........BOOM.........i nailed him and he hit the water dead. or so i thought. well i left my pup at home and i forgot my trolling motor so all i had was oars to get him. when i got up to him he took off swimming. needless to say i finally caught him and went back to the blind. that was the only one i shot today. he had 4 curl feathers on him.

William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:15 pm

Hey congradulations! What did you do differently?
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:57 pm

THE WOOD CALLS...
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby yellowlab » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:35 pm

yeah i have always kept a wood call around the neck next to the acylic gives a differnat tone and good to mix it up abit fomr others
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckweed » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:10 pm

i left my pup at home. she is only 6 months and really hyper. so i tried going once without her and it worked. thoug i took her today and we killed a couple so i don't really know what i did differently. i think it was the wood calls

William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:41 pm

I use nothing but a very raspy wood call everywhere, bought it in the early 80's, and have had it all these years. I have never found anything that works or sounds as good as this one, and the mallards seem to love it on those special days.
hankrt
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:29 pm

I use a wood for further out and an acrylic which is more raspy for closer ducks. They seem to respond a little better?
tstrong
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole