Heads up, migration predicted Central & MS flyways

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Heads up, migration predicted Central & MS flyways

Postby Admin2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:24 am

There is a big Colorado low pressure system brewing as I write this, snow and cold predicted across the upper plains and midwest today through the next few days. Highs in the 20s and 30s predicted this week, so that'll reeze things up a bit. It should push many of the birds out of the area. So those in the mid tier areas, should see an influx this week of fresh birds, maybe even some of the southern states will see fresh birds.

Many of the snows in SK migrated on Sat from a report.

Good hunting.

And if you see fresh birds showing up, or see birds heading south, please tell us here. Just tell us which state is all, [you don't need to divulge your secret hunting spots ;), ] just enough info so others can get a general idea of the migratation. thanks :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:14 am

Well yesterday, while hunting i saw a steady stream of SOB and ducks heading south, and we are suppose to get 4 inches of snow by tmr here in South Dakota, so you know that will push things around.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:51 am

Well the sub-teen degree weather pushed most of our dux down in October-- if you aint seen em by now, you aint gunna see em :toofunny:

J/K :smile:

You midwest boys whak em up, ok? :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:35 am

Snows and Tundura swans heading SE across S MN yesterday Lots of reports of Mergansers on the lakes in Central MN--that is usually the tail end of the migration.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:06 am

Had a new load of birds move in over the weekend. Where there were only 200 gadwall and widgeon there are now a couple thousand teal added in. Saturday can't get here fast enough.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:19 am

ol' yeller wrote: Saturday can't get here fast enough.

Your sure right about that :mrgreen: 6 days till dawn of a new era
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:25 am

man I hope some are still around up here...i've got to get out at least one more time!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:30 am

yeah the frount end of the birds are jsut getting to kansas
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:35 am

Warm front meet’s the cold front here in AR tomorrow supposes to be in 30's. Should be some pretty interesting weather.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:15 pm

Kansas Has lots of Geese in already! Shot some this morning. Local Refuges are reporting close to 500,000 geese, all species.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:38 pm

Snows are moving into and out of ND in force last 4 days according to Admin.

A Pheasant hunter in SD said lots of everything moving S yesterday where he was.

Admin2
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Not much going on here yet ( near St. Louis) Just came in from playing in the rain all morning 1 malard 1 gadwall not even many birds moving. Strong east wind this morning should go to the n/w tonight and get colder 48 degrees here now suposed to get colder tonight.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:00 pm

finally some birds :getdown:

Duck Whittler, they'll be here by the middle of this week for sure.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:36 pm

Greenheads were comming in today. Saw many migrating flocks and several came down and visited my decoys leaving 5 mallard members behind.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Woodstock, IL, November 14, 2005

The first major migration event is underway as a traditional "Alberta
Clipper" weather system moves across Canada. Field reports already
indicate
a significant pre-storm movement of waterfowl in the upper Pacific,
Central
and Mississippi Flyways. A major flight of light geese has been
reported in
the Central Flyway with concentrations building as far south as Texas
and
Louisiana.

Freezing temperatures and snow will occur in northern states over the
next
48 hours ­ with several inches of snowfall expected in North Dakota and
Minnesota. Waterfowl riding the jet stream in the Central and
Mississippi
flyways are expected to push south in a line that runs from Northeast
Colorado to the Ohio River Valley ­ with some birds reaching the Texas
Panhandle and Arkansas.

With warm temperatures arriving to the Plains again later this week, it
is
unclear how many ³hardy-mallards² will try to ride out the storm and
remain
north.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardman77 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:42 pm

Chilly here today, high of 1 C (33 deg) Most of the small lakes and some of the channels are now covered with a thin crust of ice. Didn't spot too many birds today, seen 1 flock of mallards holding 13 birds(flying due south) and there was about 50-60 geese that went down on the river close to where we were deer hunting this morning. Weather is getting rough up here too. A winter storm is indeed moving through the prairies right now.(snowing pretty hard right now) Where I live and the surrounding area, it could snow as much as 30cms (12 inches) and winds out of the north reaching 70KPH (45MPH).

This storm has been dumping snow on the prairie pothole region of canada all day. The birds that are still here won't be for too much longer. We're going diver hunting on big water this weekend, I'll fill you all in on the diver situation after that. They tend to stick around till the big lake and the red river are almost frozen.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby duckboy_390 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:03 pm

Snow and wind moved a lot of birds in on Sun. More snow tonite and colder the rest or the week, will be out tommorow :thumbsup:
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby BlueGooseTN » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Lots of birds moving into the SW KY, and the Reelfoot area. Mallards, Gadwalls, teal, Redheads on the Black Bayou. Snows and Blues are moving through the area as well.

With this weather change 20s 30s 40s by the weekend, I say opening day next week should be good in SW KY !!

Hecka yeah

Talked to my grandparents in Batesville, tons of snows flying the uper White River, AND MALLARDS as well !! good luck to you Arkansas guys !
WPS!
BlueGooseTN
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:30 am

greenster wrote:Woodstock, IL, November 14, 2005

The first major migration event is underway as a traditional "Alberta
Clipper" weather system moves across Canada. Field reports already
indicate a significant pre-storm movement of waterfowl in the upper Pacific, Central and Mississippi Flyways. A major flight of light geese has been reported in the Central Flyway with concentrations building as far south as Texas and Louisiana.

Freezing temperatures and snow will occur in northern states over the
next 48 hours ­ with several inches of snowfall expected in North Dakota and Minnesota. Waterfowl riding the jet stream in the Central and
Mississippi flyways are expected to push south in a line that runs from Northeast Colorado to the Ohio River Valley ­ with some birds reaching the Texas Panhandle and Arkansas.

With warm temperatures arriving to the Plains again later this week, it
is unclear how many ³hardy-mallards² will try to ride out the storm and
remain north.

That is from waterfowler.com and issued at 4:15pm EST yesterday. They are a bit late! Hahahhahaaaa and contains misinformation. It is a Colorado low--not an Alberta clipper. :umm: :laughing:

Cold temps expected for the northern praires, single digit lows, with highe in the 20s in SK, MB, ND and N MN by Thursday AM That will freeze up many smaller bodies of water. But near 40s expected a week from now, so the northern tier hunters should not give up all hope, but may have to do some serious scouting to find the pockets of birds.

Those in the mid tier states, good luck hunting this week as you should have fresh birds galore :thumbsup:

Admin2
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:18 pm

We got a good 2 feet of snow here over the last day and a half. Tomorrows high is going to be -12 C ( 10 deg) and the temp is expected to dip to -25 C ( -13 deg) with the windchill factored in. Winter came with a vengance this year and i'm guessing this weather is going to push the rest of the birds south(if they haven't already left).

We're still gonna try shooting on saturday, those late season divers are for sure going to be full plumage by now.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby mmalino » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:59 pm

havent seen anything new yet....but im ready
Team Rainmakers
"We supply eBay with the bands you buy"

Go White Sox!!...hell with baseball its football season
mmalino
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:09 pm

It rained all day here south-central MN...can't say much about the northern portions, but i doubt they avoided it. It just turned into snow within the last hour. The temperature is about 38 F.
I have seen lots of mallards on the lakes and ponds around my work places. I could count 100+ ducks in the one of the 90 acre sites I work at south of the twin cities. Geese are far more numerous. (Too darn close to a neighborhood to try and get away with shooting em, though I had good shots at about 20 when I approached one of the ponds :pissed: )
If the forces allign, and some ducks and geese remain when i can finally escape to hunt, believe me...I will be out there!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Things a little better this morning , rained all morning then the front came through, 40 mph west winds . Seeing a few new birds , even killed a Canvasback out in the cornfield today so some new ducks have moved in . Down to 30 tonight 20 tomorow night so things are looking up, atleast we won't be swatting too many mosquito's now. 2 guys 11 birds ...Getting beter.
Wes :laughing:
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Rudy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:41 pm

this post has got me all kinds of pumped!!! i am going out in the morning and it feels like christmas. probably won't sleep much tonight. I have got a day with a certain honeyhole that was holding a but load of teal BEFORE this front so i am looking foward to checking it out. We haven't seen much in the way of the mallards here in oklahoma but have been covered up with our good ol' woodies,northern gwt,bwt,and a buttload of gaddies. Hope this front brings down ol' majestic.Love those greenheads! Hope they ride that wind all the way cupped in to my spread!
Anyone else in oklahoma or kansas gettin' a push?
Good luck everyone i will report tomorrow.
Rudy
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Many birds did not stop at SD, IA, NE and were still heading south in the last couple of days, so somebody is getting some birds in.

Admin2
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole