Mallard curls?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Mallard curls?

Postby toddbntly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 am

How many curls do green heads normally have? I shot a huge one last night that had three, and one of those was doubled. So it had four curls. I mean he was a big ole drake, and not a mark on him. I put him in the freezer...maybe someday I will be able to afford to mount him.
toddbntly
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:12 pm

3-4 curls is average I think. I shoot alot of greenheads and always take the curls. Congrats on your big fat bird. :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Get'em » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:36 pm

a mallard drake with four or more curls not counting double curled is considered a trophy i shot a mallard yesterday with 5 single curls
Get'em
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:04 pm

yea i keep my curls i have them on display in my room. lol yea normal for around here is 3 to 4 curls
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brydog » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:22 pm

3 to 4 curls is a teenage bird,,,so to speek. I've got 3 drakes this year with 4 curls, and 1 with 5 curls. I hope to get a good "Wall Hanger" soon. The corn fields here in Mid Michigan are full of fat Greenheads right now. :thumbsup:
Congrats on your bird!
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby bullocklabradors » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:48 pm

I am glad that I am not the only one that keeps Mallard curls! I have a set of decorative glasses and the one with a mallard on it I have full of curls.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
"IF YOU CAN SEE THEIR EYES, SHOOT EM IN THE LIPS AND WATCH EM FOLD"

"IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND THEN IT'S RETRIEVED!"
bullocklabradors
Banned

Postby toddbntly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Well I guess I didn't have quite the trophy that I thought I had. I haven't shot many greenheads, so I just didn't know. We have mostly been shooting Greenwing Teal and Shovlers this year. Thanks for the replies! Maybe I'll just pull him out of the freezer, pluck those curls, and turn him into some kabobbs with mushrooms, pineapples, onions, jalapenos, green bell peppers, and jack daniels bbq sauce. Mmm.
toddbntly
hunter

Postby lars » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:56 pm

when i was a kid, dad shot a huge bull with 3 double curls and an extra, that =7 CURLS!- *swear to you know who*

my best is 5- still trying to catch up with the old man :smile:
Last edited by lars on Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:59 pm

bullocklabradors wrote:I am glad that I am not the only one that keeps Mallard curls! I have a set of decorative glasses and the one with a mallard on it I have full of curls.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

you aren't the only 2 i do 3 :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:18 pm

Although I do not collect curls the only ones I care to see are the ones that make complete circles into the rump and that have 3 or more, the best I have done is one that had 6 quills, the one on my wall had 3 full quills and 5 if seperated
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole