Duck ID Question

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Duck ID Question

Postby crocodileednul9 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 am

I was wondering what exactly this duck was. Thanks.
crocodileednul9
hunter

Re: Duck ID Question

Postby klist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 am

wats the rest of the bird look like?

but i can forsee someone sayin old hen mallard
klist
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 am

Hermaphrodite Mallard IMO. An aged (post breeding age) hen would have an orange bill. It has xxy chromosomes instead of xy for a male or xx for a female. Bird was probably full of pin-feathers as they can never reach sexual maturity.
Last edited by The Waterfowler on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby BigRiver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am

Early season immature Drake Mallard. When was the picture taken?
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:56 am

An immature drake would have a horizonal dark stripe through the eye and no green yet. Look at the presence of both drake and hen feathers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 am

The Waterfowler wrote:Hermaphrodite Mallard IMO. An aged (post breeding age) hen would have an orange bill. It has xxy chromosomes instead of xy for a mlae or xx for a female. Bird was probably full of pin-feathers as they can never reach sexual maturity.

That's what I was thinking.. Is it possibe to be a female hermaphrodite with a yellow bill, or is that not a trait that can be picked up? Basically the opposite as you describe?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 am

A hermaphrodite can't be male or female as it possesses the xxy chromosome for sex, which is both sexes. Most all I've seen have a head leaning toward male and a breast and belly leaning towards female in coloration with immature, or better yet under-developed looking feathers elsewhere.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am

it's a dead duck.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby BigRiver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:06 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:An immature drake would have a horizonal dark stripe through the eye and no green yet. Look at the presence of both drake and hen feathers.

I respectfully disagree. Unless hermaphrodites occur much more common than one thinks, or there is something else that I am missing. We see several Mallards like this in a given year. They are generally shot in the first few weeks of the season. They have just started to get the green coloration on the head.

That's why I would like to hear when and where it was shot.
BigRiver

Postby crocodileednul9 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 pm

BigRiver wrote:
The Waterfowler wrote:An immature drake would have a horizonal dark stripe through the eye and no green yet. Look at the presence of both drake and hen feathers.

I respectfully disagree. Unless hermaphrodites occur much more common than one thinks, or there is something else that I am missing. We see several Mallards like this in a given year. They are generally shot in the first few weeks of the season. They have just started to get the green coloration on the head.

That's why I would like to hear when and where it was shot.

It was shot early season in South Dakota.
crocodileednul9
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:10 pm

If it was ayoung drake it would still be showing the beginning of a neck ring. We kill ones like this into late January where I hunt in Arkansas. These birds don't usually live as long for several reasons and I've seen it in other species as well. The young of the year are the most vunerable also and there are that high of a percentage of them as again they are weaker. Since they are weaker physically, they don't produce the necessary down to protect them in harsh weather and are often preyed upon by their own male species trying to mate with them. Of course, vent sexing would have told the story if they had done that. We've all got our own opinions and I''m drawing from experience since 1961, but I appreciate anyone's opinion as i would hope they do mine.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby BigRiver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:We've all got our own opinions and I''m drawing from experience since 1961, but I appreciate anyone's opinion as i would hope they do mine.

Absolutely :thumbsup:

If I didn't appreciate your opinion I would have called you an idiot. :lol3:

Next season is a long ways off, but I will watch the imature drakes this next season a better eye.

:beer:
BigRiver

Postby sdkidaho » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:48 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Of course, vent sexing would have told the story if they had done that.

How do you do that?
sdkidaho
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm

sdkidaho wrote:
The Waterfowler wrote:Of course, vent sexing would have told the story if they had done that.

How do you do that?

:moon:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Ive never seen an immature drake with hen feathers on his breast like that.

I would also agree with waterfowler on the neck ring. We have killed quite a few early ones and all had neck rings.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby pgquackstacker » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Looks like a Eurasian Wigeon/Black Duck/ Gadwall hybrid to me.
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Having raised a couple of mallards, I have seen immature drakes that looked exactly like this. But generally they DO get thier neck rings first. I would say that this IS an immature drake, you can see the start of the green head, especially on the very top of the head. Just my opinion, I don't have quite as much experience as Waterfowler, so I won't argue this too heavily because he could be right too. But he is absolutely right, vent sex them next time. That way there is NO doubt.
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole