DHC Million Thread almost has 10 Million views...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: DHC almost has 3 Million posts...

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Buddy got these for me almost a year ago and I finally picked em up from him when I saw him this weekend in Tally. Image

Sent from my new blue iPhone with Anti-Botiz software

are there pintails in florida? :sarcmark:

Ya we get quite a few. Largest numbers are surprisingly shot in SE FL at the Storm water treatment areas. State operated facilities (WMA).

imagine that....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 am

Botiz630 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:Gonna try the river again.

Good luck

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna need it, I've discovered that I'm not good at this.

Me either

We're going back to MI in a couple weeks, but going to use a guide this time to learn more about it.

Sounds like a solid plan boss.

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Washed my favorite hat inda dishwasher. Now it don't fit right :mad:

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:15 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Washed my favorite hat inda dishwasher. Now it don't fit right :mad:

So stick your head in the dishwasher for a while, too. This stuff ain't rocket surgery.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Washed my favorite hat inda dishwasher. Now it don't fit right :mad:

So stick your head in the dishwasher for a while, too. This stuff ain't rocket surgery.

Lol. I was going to look for a new hat but i like your idea better rick

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:33 pm

If you didn't wear a size 9 you wouldn't have that problem.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:47 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:

If you didn't wear a size 9 you wouldn't have that problem.

Shut your face

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:Just about to head to the turkey woods. Fried frog legs and catfish with fried taters tonight and two wild hogs cooking in a couple of Cajun microwaves for tomorrow evening. I'm ready for a few adult beverages and I'm not far from beer30. :biggrin:

We put one to bed friday evening and things were looking good for the morning. We had a ticket to the show, but it was not the show we were hoping to see...
He gobbled maybe 5-6 times, hit the ground and then went out to the middle of the small clearing to a small mound and strut around for 3-4 hens. closest he got was 120 yards. He walked off over the hill and we waited for about 30 minutes...nothing. Thought he walked off into the far woods. we stood up and were discussing our options when one lone hen pitched out from the roost late at about 8:30am. Flydown cackle and everything, which the tom gobbled at. She landed on top the hill and walked down to the gobbler for him to breed her, then she walked off into the far woods with him in tow. Mean while, three of his other hens that had been with the tom walked right by the set up at 30 yards...... :mad: That damn bitty that left the roost late screwed us! :mad:

Frustration, is the word for that situation......HUNTING......

Well, we didn't get a bird yesterday but we had a good time. The main reason for me going this weekend was to hunt and be with my brother. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a couple of years ago and with this disease being a chronic and progressive moving disorder, I'm not sure how many more of these outings we'll have together................WHEW!!! I had to stop typing for a moment. After losing my older sister over Christmas and now dealing with this, it got to me.............

We started out the early morning sitting in the Polaris at a spot where he had heard a few birds on Thursday. He yelped a few times but we never did get a response. The owls in the area were dong their part as well but it didn't help. After not having any luck with those birds he wanted to show me a deer stand at that spot that his camp buddies fit with a staircase to help him with ease of access, so we walked to it. When we got back to the buggy he wasn't feeling well so we headed back to the camp house where we met up with a camp member and his young daughter. They had a bird come in but she just couldn't get set up for a shot. He told us the bird walked off undisturbed and gave my brother directions to this spot for us to set up on in the afternoon.
After some rest, my brother and I headed out to set up for the afternoon. After a bit of walking with the gear, and with only my brother getting directions, he decided to give Jeff a call to get more direction but he had left his phone at the camp. Soooooo we packed up and headed back to the camp to get it. On our way back to the spot we noticed a large black object crossing the road ahead of us and at first we thought it was a cow. As we got closer it was clear what it was, a three or four hundred pound black bear. What a beautiful animal. This thing was huge!!!!

We finally find the right trail, forty five minutes later than we wanted to, and walk in. When we get to the opening or field there was a flock out there and they spotted us. We watched them walk off and set up for the afternoon. We never did get a bird to come in but had a good time. After all we did yesterday he wasn't up for a hunt this morning so I slipped out a daylight this morning and headed home. He's staying out there all week, I hope he gets one!!!
There were two nice birds taken from that camp as of yesterday afternoon with most if not all having some sort of action.

Cajun Microwave ....for real... Homemade with scrap parts..... The wild pork was awesome!!! Started the fire with charcoal and used pecan shells to keep the heat going.
ResizedImage951395585516533.jpg

This I took for the Barbie jeep dude :biggrin: ...... Working vehicles. There must be 8 or 10 vehicles set up for hunting at this camp.
ResizedImage_1395585594699.jpg

Bronco...... I wish I would have taken more pictures of this outing, but I was preoccupied.
ResizedImage951395585568545.jpg
Last edited by D Comeaux on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Sounds like a great weekend with family and kindred souls to me. (But then my highlight was attending a fuel pump's retirement.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Took a whirl at orange marmalade glaze duck tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395621769.380924.jpg

Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm

How was it?

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Took a whirl at orange marmalade glaze duck tonight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395621769.380924.jpg

Looks good tm. What species and how'd they taste? ?
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Went a bit over board on fishing lures tonight.
t_baker
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:06 pm

It was fair. The big bird was a mottled and the other a gaddy. It was tough because I didn't have the right grill to get the indirect heat I wanted so it was a tad over done but still good. I had to use just a small portable charcoal grill. I'd definitely do it again.

WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:47 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:It was fair. The big bird was a mottled and the other a gaddy. It was tough because I didn't have the right grill to get the indirect heat I wanted so it was a tad over done but still good. I had to use just a small portable charcoal grill. I'd definitely do it again.

Only other tip I'll throw out is that this is one of the reasons I pluck the tail and leave it on the bird....just like a chicken. Fold the tail up and truss the cavity to retain the juices to keep the meat moist. It does make a difference. But the indirect heat is probably a bigger factor ensuring that the bird is not over cooked...well that and forgetting to check them on time like I did at Byers. :rolleyes:

Glad You liked the recipe at least. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:It was fair. The big bird was a mottled and the other a gaddy. It was tough because I didn't have the right grill to get the indirect heat I wanted so it was a tad over done but still good. I had to use just a small portable charcoal grill. I'd definitely do it again.

Only other tip I'll throw out is that this is one of the reasons I pluck the tail and leave it on the bird....just like a chicken. Fold the tail up and truss the cavity to retain the juices to keep the meat moist. It does make a difference. But the indirect heat is probably a bigger factor ensuring that the bird is not over cooked...well that and forgetting to check them on time like I did at Byers. :rolleyes:

I remember you mentioning keeping the butt intact where their gland is to retain a lot of moisture. Just was never sure where to cut the bird up. I attempted to close the cavity up to retain moisture, but it wasnt good enough.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:02 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I remember you mentioning keeping the butt intact where their gland is to retain a lot of moisture. Just was never sure where to cut the bird up. I attempted to close the cavity up to retain moisture, but it wasnt good enough.

I'll have to find the thread where I posted the reference pics. and bump it. It is important to remove the oil gland, taking care to get all of it.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Swamp. It sounds confusing when reading it :lol3:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:31 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Thanks Swamp. It sounds confusing when reading it :lol3:

I tried to be as clear as possible...Some people are visual learners though.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Thanks Swamp. It sounds confusing when reading it :lol3:

I tried to be as clear as possible...Some people are visual learners though.

That would be I

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Anybody want 2 dogs? Yorkie and a lab?
t_baker
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:49 am

t_baker wrote:Anybody want 2 dogs? Yorkie and a lab?

Giving em up?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 am

Package deal, I'll include my lab too. That's three dogs for the price of zero, folks.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole