WERE YOU A BOY SCOUT?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

WERE YOU A BOY SCOUT?

Postby teal_tormentor » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:08 pm

Just curious...Who in here was a boy scout? I raise my hand.
Last edited by teal_tormentor on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:10 pm

I was a cubscout, but in my small town all the boyscouts were non hunters and fishers and I just didn't get along. I dropped out when I was very young because it cut into my fishing and hunting time... (Which was spent with my dad and family)
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:18 pm

I was a cub scout and a boy scout.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:08 pm

Nope, but I always wanted to be one.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby shanetheduckkilla » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:10 pm

i was one in 3rd and 4th grade
shanetheduckkilla
hunter

Postby surf_ox » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:50 pm

from cub scout all the way to eagle scout......and asst scoutmaster after that.....grew up in va beach....we had 65 member of our troop....seems boyscouts in small town southern indiana isn't as popular....when my 4 year old is ready i'll get involved again......

a funny story....a friend of my during rifle and shotgun merit badge qualifications actually squeezed both triggers of a double barrel 12 ga....he didn't breath very easily after that..and the clay bird lived to fly another day...we were both 14 at the time....he gasped and wheezed for a while.....the rest of us laughed once we knew he was half way ok

scouts is great.....a definite well rounded education while having fun
Is a frustrated hunter swinging a canoe paddle after sunset at a fall teal breaking any laws?
surf_ox
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:12 pm

Troop 53 of the French Creek Council. One of the oldest troops in the country. We were a bunch of misfits that had a lot of fun. Maybe we need to change the name to "Freedom Creek". Stupid France. Stupid snail hunters...
Snaph
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:58 pm

I was a cubscout until my troop pretty much dissolved. A shame too cause I was pretty good (I thought so at least).
A friend of mine had an old side by side 12 ga we used to shoot and I can remember shooting it one time and thinking "man..that shot was a lot louder and kicked a helluvalot more than the others" and thought maybe a heavier shell had slipped in with the others....when I broke it I discovered that it had fired both barrels. Thought maybe I had pulled both triggers and tried again...nope...something was definately wrong with that thing..we retired it until someone could look at it..but man did my ears and shoulder hurt.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:07 pm

i was a cub but never became a boy i moved and never got involed again
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:13 pm

i was for a little while wasnt much fun for me.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:03 pm

cubs, then scouts, then joined air cadets. Was a leader in a church youth group call tyros very simmilar to scouts only with a religous twist.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:17 pm

Cub scout all the way to an Eagle scout. I wish they had the same type of program for mt daughters to go through.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:18 pm

I was in cub scouts and after about the 3rd meeting we had I decided it sucked and that I had better things to be doing! :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:12 pm

I was a Boy Scout.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:14 pm

I never did either, hate I never did.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hooked on quack » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:52 pm

no spent to much time hunting :getdown:
when im not hunting my life is being wasted
hooked on quack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:01 pm

I was a cub scout back in the day
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:46 pm

I was a cub scout all the way to life scout. I was rebelious (sp) and I thought I would show my dad that I didn't want to do it since he wanted me too. Regret that now. My brother made eagle though.
Last edited by MacAttack on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby slim007 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:24 am

I made to Life, but we had to move and wasn't a big thing in Amarillo Texas. I like to think that the scouts helped me be a better person.
faster horses, younger woman. older whiskey, and more money
slim007
hunter

Postby MSDelta » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:13 pm

Cub all the way through eagle. Very glad i went all the way
MSDelta
Newb

Postby Springfield1 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:07 am

Both my older brother and I are Eagle Scouts. My last few years I really thought about quitting. I sure am glad I didn't! For a while we had a lazy jerk of a scout master. No one else would take over the leadership of the troop, so my mom did. She was the second female scoutmaster in the nation. Funny thing is, during her three years as scout master nine boys in our troop earned their Eagle Scout awards. The best was at summer camp, all of the other scout masters would show off their gerber leathermen tools and compare whose was the best. They made sure to shun my mom from their group. Then my father bought her the most deluxe model leatherman you could get. The next year they were all showing off one day and she strolled up, whipped hers out and said "Not bad but I think mine's bigger." The look on their faces was priceless!

Springfield1
Springfield1
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:12 pm

eagle scout, now a assistent scoutmaster with troop 6 juneau AK
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby lonewolf » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:40 pm

I was never in the scouts, down here the scouts are for the boys who can not play sports or hunt and fish. Nothing against the scouts, because I know of troops in North Texas that do a good job. Luckily I had a Dad who hunted and fished and taught me the ways of the outdoors.
Here's to us and those like us, There's damn few of us left.
lonewolf
hunter

Cubs

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:47 am

I always wanted to join when I was little but never got into it. I thought it would be good for my son so I took him last year and started him in his first year as a Weblo. He did not enjoy it that much. He enjoyed being with the other kids but they ran the program for merit badges alone. Nothing was done unless it involved working toward a merit badge. My son and some of the other boys just wanted to have fun at activities but it was all badge driven. He really enjoyed knots, archery, BB guns and any of the other activities. But them he said "Dad, that all stuff I do with you at home anyways. Why do I have to come here and work at this stuff. It's more fun when me and you do stuff."

That was the end of that. Now he has more time for his bow, BB gun, .22, fishing and now learning to hunt.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:56 pm

archeryrob, that was me when I was a kid!

I did all that with my dad anyway, didn't need a little badge or anything. I think it would be fantastic for kids without outdoorsy parents though...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole