Duck Hunting Forum banner

The Rambling DHC Decoy.

38K views 821 replies 43 participants last post by  Indaswamp 
#1 ·
Daffy started off and from what I read had a pretty unfortunate outing with it.

Grunt doc is next. Let's hope for a better outcome. He should be getting it in short order and be posting up.

Clutch, Jehler and myself to follow.

Even if you have an uneventful day and/or get skunked, its not just about killing with it, its where its been. Post up at least a few pictures here. The sunrise, it in the decoys, whatever. Tell us about the day.

#4 ·
Here's a route update reflecting my swapping with Canbakchaser:

Oct 9 Daffy

Oct 16 Grunt doc

Oct 23 Clutch

Oct 30 Jehler/Jr/Jgun

Nov 6 DT/Roosthead/XWX/Bassmaster 624

Nov 13 PapaChessie

Nov 20 aggiechiro *

Nov 27 Canbakchaser

Dec 4 Wratliffky

Dec 11 Orange Lake

Dec 18 Bayouboy & Indaswamp

Dec 25 JoshCo

Jan 1 Rick Hall

Jan 8 flightstopper

Jan 15* Rcdinaz/+/+

Jan 22 Pgquackstacker

Jan 29 redbeard.

(Would think it wise not to wait until the last minute to get mailing addresses, as that effort may turn up links that have lost interest.)

#6 ·
bayouboy said:
how many threads of this decoy can we float?

let's see some pics daffy.
That's what I was thinking

#7 ·
Bayou, I'd hope that the other ones involving any scheduling fade to the 2nd or 3rd page. Everything should be able to be handled through PM's now involving schedule changes.

Thanks for posting that up, rick. I read you two were going to switch. I'm glad it worked out.
:thumbsup:

Let's keep this thread about the decoy and not get off topic and we can make it how ever long it needs to be. My previous rant was just to try and keep people on topic. Every regular here is aware of how things get hijacked. The same goes for the ***OFFICAL 'Son of' Thread****.

#8 ·
Who do we have to see to get an official Decoy #1 thread stickied? We've got two going again and more confusion. One stickied thread with one master list, no matter how garbaged up the thread gets, makes a whole lot more sense than what we're doing now.

(My hand-off, Huntall6, hadn't seen that his date was moved and needs to swap for something earlier, and that's the sort thing a prominent list - and not waiting until the last minute to make arrangements - can help prevent.)

#9 ·
Rick Hall said:
Who do we have to see to get an official Decoy #1 thread stickied? We've got two going again and more confusion. One stickied thread with one master list, no matter how garbaged up the thread gets, makes a whole lot more sense than what we're doing now.

(My hand-off, Huntall6, hadn't seen that his date was moved and needs to swap for something earlier, and that's the sort thing a prominent list - and not waiting until the last minute to make arrangements - can help prevent.)
Rick, I'll post a message up in the mod forum to see about the sticky, and maybe a consolidation of the threads... :thumbsup:

#10 ·
computer crashed, im barrowing a friends when i get the chance. hopefully have mine back up n going in a week or soo. then ill post up pics. grunt_doc and i got together for his weekend. we had a pretty good day, three mallards. birds buzzing for a better part of the morning... and weirdly nothing terrible happen to us.

.... i had a pretty bad chain of events when the damn decoy made its way into my boat but hell, when it rains. it pours.

good luck guys. looking forward to see all the pics

#12 ·
Thanks for the sticky. Has anyone traded dates with huntall6 or taken his place, yet? I'd have no trouble hunting the decoy daily from its arrival here until it needs to go to Rcdinaz/+/+, but would hope someone steps up.

And that bring up another question: are you still in for Jan 15, Rcdinaz/+/+? If so, you might want to PM me a mailing address.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
daffy... said:
we had a pretty good day, three mallards. birds buzzing for a better part of the morning... and weirdly nothing terrible happen to us.
I would have to agree. it was a good day. there were birds in the air for most of the morning. The first group showed up just a few minutes into legal shooting time. We nailed the 1st 2 without ever blowing the call. Not a bad start. We had several fly-by's but no takers. All of the super secrete duck attracting tactics were employed: pouring a cup of coffee, taking a leak, walking out of arms reach of the gun....etc. all met with minimal response. Just as we were about to load up, a pair came in screaming fast and low. thanks to crappy shooting (by me), only one went down. Should have had both for sure. Anyway, the rest will be in the journal.

...speaking of which, has anyone given any thought on how the contents of the journal will be distributed? other than having whoever ends up with it scanning and posting each page, I don't see an easier way.
1016100938-02.jpg

1016100938-01.jpg

1016100938-00.jpg

1016100935-00.jpg

Attachments

#18 ·
Nice hunt fellas. That spot you hunted's beautiful. I dig the boat too

#19 ·
Papachessie said:
huntall6 said:
no Rick, nobody traded me. so i guess you got it for two weeks then. good luck and happy hunting.
Isn't there anyone in Tejas that can take it after Rick? Come on, Cowboy Up!
yea-flightstopper came on the original thread and he found out about it too late and missed the list...he might be available to take it...how about it aggie???

#20 ·
Indaswamp said:
Papachessie said:
huntall6 said:
no Rick, nobody traded me. so i guess you got it for two weeks then. good luck and happy hunting.
Isn't there anyone in Tejas that can take it after Rick? Come on, Cowboy Up!
yea-flightstopper came on the original thread and he found out about it too late and missed the list...he might be available to take it...how about it aggie???
or rick can hand it back off to me and I'll get some pics of huntin da deek in venice on da big river... :thumbsup: I'll be hunting somewhere else first time around...

#23 ·
When you get it, you'll understand, but Daffy included a feather from his 1st Canada Goose in the journal. It got me to thinking, so I packed along a small woden box big enough to fit the journal itself and anything else that you may want to add to the project. A momento of the hunt, or something that would be considered typical of "you." It's nothing extravagant, but I did have to go into a foo foo craft store to find a wooden box in time. that's gotta be worth something at least.

one more note: please make sure you rinse the decoy off before shipping it to the next hunter. I for one would not want this project to result in the unintentional transfer of invasive species of plants/critters/etc.

#24 ·
grunt_doc said:
one more note: please make sure you rinse the decoy off before shipping it to the next hunter. I for one would not want this project to result in the unintentional transfer of invasive species of plants/critters/etc.
Very good point. Ummm, I wonder if anyone who travels around the country duck hunting actually does this. :huh:

Flightstopper, I don't think anyone will mind that it goes to Texas twice.

#25 ·
Papachessie said:
grunt_doc said:
Very good point. Ummm, I wonder if anyone who travels around the country duck hunting actually does this. :huh:

Good thinking, cus Lord knows how many STD's the rambler will have contracted from its stay w/ jehler and his jolly crew.

#26 ·
bayouboy said:
Papachessie said:
grunt_doc said:

Good thinking, cus Lord knows how many STD's the rambler will have contracted from its stay w/ jehler and his jolly crew.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.