The Rambling DHC Decoy.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: The Rambling DHC Decoy.

Postby joshco84 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Next weekend should be awesome for us as well. We are just a day or two out of a freeze up and the next week is lows around 27 and highs around 45-50.

Going out to try a honey hole tomorrow, and see how it goes.

By the way, i need the address of whoever gets the deke from me so i can get it shipped out
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Quick note- I'm back in town for a x-mas party. we shot 2 widgeons and 1 mallard this morning. birds fed all night and bugged out to sit on the gulf. low tide in the am and north wind pushed all the water out. we had a spot picked out that should have held some water-but the 2 ft. tide dropped it too far. no afternoon hunting on opening weekend-so we are making a mid day hunt in the am. hopefully the 500+ mallards and 1200+ pintails will come in with the water and we will hammer them! :thumbsup: walkin out the door and back to the camp...see ya'll when I get back-Colt will post some pics. i'm sure... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Papa-if we'd have target teal early-we'd a had 24 when we had sheet water by the blind... :yes:

The guys that hunted3-7 miles out in the gulf limited...but it was rough as hell. :thumbsup: redheads,cans bluebills...the divers were up and flying!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Papachessie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Papa-if we'd have target teal early-we'd a had 24 when we had sheet water by the blind... :yes:

The guys that hunted3-7 miles out in the gulf limited...but it was rough as hell. :thumbsup: redheads,cans bluebills...the divers were up and flying!!

That Buffy'ed have felt right at home out there bobbin' in the waves. You got time ta pile 'em up yet. :thumbsup:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I just got back home, had a great time. Little wind today, shot 2 mallards, 2 ring ecks, 1 sprig that I'm gonna mount and 1 teal which was crippled in our blind when we got there and inda's dog found it. Tough conditions for these 2 days. Keith will wear them out Starting tomorrow though. Great experience, Keith and his brother are good people, glad we finally met. Will post more later on, gotta lot to go do.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:29 pm

bayouboy wrote:I just got back home, had a great time. Little wind today, shot 2 mallards, 2 ring ecks, 1 sprig that I'm gonna mount and 1 teal which was crippled in our blind when we got there and inda's dog found it. Tough conditions for these 2 days. Keith will wear them out Starting tomorrow though. Great experience, Keith and his brother are good people, glad we finally met. Will post more later on, gotta lot to go do.

thats great. if you got a pic lets see the bird that headed to thw wall.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Okay, here we go: trip started early Friday morning, waiting on Keith, formerly known as IndaSwamp, and his brother Paul at the launch.

the rambler at the intercoastal canal:

Rambler on Keith's houseboat: why a houseboat? why not use a tent?
One of Keith's dogs, Gratin: loves to sleep, chill in the boats.
the neighborhood:
keith & paul's houseboat:
poor shot of an eagle, seen quite a few:
bayouboy
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Sunday's blind and surrounding area (there are oil rigs in the background):
leaving the blind:
more neighbors:

more to come
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm

backing up some, here is Friday night:
sac-a-lait:
keith getting his cook on:
big houseboat across from Keith's:
dis n dat:
frogs:
saturday's hunt. had zero water. knew it was going to fall but where we scouted had 500 ducks and enough water we thought to withstand the falling tide. 2 widgeon drakes and a mallerd. i wiffed on that hen and never heard the end of it.Image
keith and I:
keith and paul:
at the launch tonight, keith dropped me off. signing the rambler:
myself and the rambler:
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:32 pm

bayouboy wrote:keith getting his cook on:

now i'm jealous
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Keith has some pictures also, including today's bag and that pintail. They're hunting through Wednesday for sure.

Had a great time. Keith and Paul are top knotch guys and duck hunters w/ two fine dogs, too.

Thanks again Keith, and tell Paul, "but you screw one sheep!"

joshco, rambler coming your way via fedex tomorrow. should be there Thursday.

the rambler isn't bad luck, life happens and crap is naturally gonna happen while duck hunting. however, my old room mate goes sky diving a lot and this weekend the plane they were in crashed and 3 of his friends died immediately. also, one of my wife's co-worker's son, who also was graduating college this weekend, got killed in a local hunting accident saturday morning.

Today is a good day to be breathing in air on this side of the grass. Be safe y'all.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:38 pm

bayouboy wrote:the rambler isn't bad luck, life happens and crap is naturally gonna happen while duck hunting. however, my old room mate goes sky diving a lot and this weekend the plane they were in crashed and 3 of his friends died immediately. also, one of my wife's co-worker's son, who also was graduating college this weekend, got killed in a local hunting accident saturday morning.

sorry for your loss. remember them and how lucky you are to be alive on your next hunt...i know i will.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 pm

bayouboy wrote:

We killed twelve today warming up, going to hunt a few times this week to looking for a couple new spots in the same hunting area.

Have one ace in the hole though that is normally a slam dunk, and we only hunt it a few times a season (been saving it)

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:54 pm

joshco84 wrote:Have one ace in the hole though that is normally a slam dunk, and we only hunt it a few times a season (been saving it)

good, got to boost that lead.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Now that looks like a duck camp, and some fun hunts. Good job Bayou and Inda :thumbsup:
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 am

Way to get it done there Gentlemen!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby lumpy2181 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:04 am

Dep6 - Got the pics brother, thanks again.

Inda and Bayou - Looks like a great place to get away from it all and smack a few ducks as well. I'm not going to lie, I am a bit jealous. I have a buddy in the Corps from LA and he managed to get two bands last year on the Christmas leave period in as many hunts. I need to find a job in LA I guess. Great job guys.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 am

I like that pink bbq grill in the background of that one pic. I gotta get me one of those for my camp.

Its pretty cool watching that deke I held go all over the country.

Keep up the good work guys.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:52 am

mmmm frog legs..... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm going to have to spend the summer giggin' ! Haven't had any in a while.
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 am

Is rick hall the one getting the deke after me? i need to make sure and get his info, but want to make sure im getting it from the right person!

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:40 pm

bayouboy wrote:Keith has some pictures also, including today's bag and that pintail. They're hunting through Wednesday for sure.

Had a great time. Keith and Paul are top knotch guys and duck hunters w/ two fine dogs, too.

Thanks again Keith, and tell Paul, "but you screw one sheep!"

the rambler isn't bad luck, life happens and crap is naturally gonna happen while duck hunting. however, my old room mate goes sky diving a lot and this weekend the plane they were in crashed and 3 of his friends died immediately. also, one of my wife's co-worker's son, who also was graduating college this weekend, got killed in a local hunting accident saturday morning.

Today is a good day to be breathing in air on this side of the grass. Be safe y'all.

Or miss ONE Hen!! :hi: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:29 pm

joshco84 wrote:Is rick hall the one getting the deke after me? i need to make sure and get his info, but want to make sure im getting it from the right person!

yea..Rick is up to bat with the deek after you joshco... :thumbsup:

It Sucks that Paul and I had to leave early Sat. to drive home for a christmas party... :fingerhead: :mad: The water did not start coming in till around 11 that day, I know we could have killed more had we stayed and hunted till 2pm., but Oh well....
The camp up current from us shot 60 teal sat. morning...one of the guys in the camp shot a banded drake greenwing. :thumbsup: like I said-had we targeted teal, we could have put up some healthier kill totals, but it was too hard to leave a spot holding 500+ mallards and God knows how many pintails...
fog set in yesterday-front stalled and it warmed considerably. no one was really shooting anything. although, the wind did finally turn out of the west while we were one our way back to the launch...we could have hunted our favorite duck potato flat with that wind. We'll have to get them next time.
We ended up with 37 ducks over 4 hunts. monday we shot 12-3 pintail drakes, 4 mallards, 2 Redheads, and a couple of ringnecks and teal...here's monday's take:

And it's weird about the accidents you mention Bayouboy...the Sheriff water patrol came by the camp today right before we left passing out flyers to be on the lookout for a white male that fell off the HWY 90 bridge... :huh: I think that's just coincidence though. I had a plan to shoot about 30 poule d' eau and cut the beaks off to make a voodoo necklace for the rambler.. :lol3: :clapping: but since I had to leave for the party-that didn't happen. So instead, I cut a piece of cypress off my uncles old 47 year old pirouge that had the redwood plywood bottom de-laminate. It is the pirouge that I learned to duck hunt in and it's the pirouge that I shot my first pintail out of. :thumbsup: No telling how many thousands of ducks have been in that pirouge. :thumbsup:

We had one of the strongest tidal changes that I can remember..North wind blew it out, then the south wind blew it in on top of a 2.15 ft. change. blind went from high and dry on a mudflat to 3.75 ft. in about 8 hrs.
In hindsight-might should have hammered the teal... :fingerhead: but that would have been too easy.

and here's a couple of pics of Colt's Pintail for the wall:

That Sprig had ~7-7 1/2" Sprigs. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Indaswamp on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Inda and Bayou, I'm jealous! That was a great trip! I wish I had a camp like that to go to! Glad you had a great time- but we're still gonna beat the Rambler.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:54 pm

It's all in friendly competition AT...just be glad we didn't go on a teal slaughter Sat. morning... :yes: :thumbsup:
Anyone know what the tally is now??

And to those who are next in line to get the deek after Colt and I, we signed the deek in the most appropriate spot being that we are "Coona$$es".. :lol3: :beer:

Last edited by Indaswamp on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Here is another strange occurrence...We actually saw a pair of Buffies fly by the blind. I'm assuming it was the same pair that flew by the blind 3 different times. That is the first buffle heads I have ever seen down there...must be the ice farther north that pushed them down-only thing I can figure as to why they are this far south...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole