The Rambling DHC Decoy.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: The Rambling DHC Decoy.

Postby assateague » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Everything around here, even the saltwater bays, is iced up. :no: Waaaaaaaaay too early.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 pm

assateague wrote:Everything around here, even the saltwater bays, is iced up. :no: Waaaaaaaaay too early.

low sunday night (day after christmas) is 25 here in Baton Rouge Louisiana...looks like the birds that bugged out and flew north on this warm front are gonna turn right around and fly back to the coast.. :yes: my birthday is the 28th and I'll be in a duck blind waitin on 'em!! :thumbsup: But I gotta check out our mud motor in the morning...it's running on one cylinder on the way in to the launch. either a magneto or a fouled plug...going talk to the best small engine mechanic in Louisiana tomorrow to get it straightened out for the week after christmas. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Here is another strange occurrence...We actually saw a pair of Buffies fly by the blind. I'm assuming it was the same pair that flew by the blind 3 different times. That is the first buffle heads I have ever seen down there...must be the ice farther north that pushed them down-only thing I can figure as to why they are this far south...

..Oh!...Crap Inda' here's some for ya'..took a few on the first morning opening day..( I figure at least there's ONE kind of duck up here that you may not see much of down there, that I can have the honor of showing ya'.. :yes: )..I want some tasty Pintails in full plumage.. :crying:

Image..Looks like ya'll had some fun.. :beer:

Here's something I thought was funny Inda' ..
bayouboy wrote:Okay, here we go: trip started early Friday morning, waiting on Keith, formerly known as IndaSwamp, .

... ..Soooo,.. You mean to tell me that Bayouboy had to wait for your coona$$ to get there?... :lol3: .. :clapping: :hammer: ... :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Here is another strange occurrence...We actually saw a pair of Buffies fly by the blind. I'm assuming it was the same pair that flew by the blind 3 different times. That is the first buffle heads I have ever seen down there...must be the ice farther north that pushed them down-only thing I can figure as to why they are this far south...

..Oh!...Crap Inda' here's some for ya'..took a few on the first morning opening day..( I figure at least there's ONE kind of duck up here that you may not see much of down there, that I can have the honor of showing ya'.. :yes: )..I want some tasty Pintails in full plumage.. :crying:

Image..Looks like ya'll had some fun.. :beer:

Here's something I thought was funny Inda' ..
bayouboy wrote:Okay, here we go: trip started early Friday morning, waiting on Keith, formerly known as IndaSwamp, .

... ..Soooo,.. You mean to tell me that Bayouboy had to wait for your coona$$ to get there?... :lol3: .. :clapping: :hammer: ... :beer:

he was not waiting on me. We had an older gentleman of 67 yrs. follow us and he had 3 stops to make...once for ice, then to stop at a corner store for a sausage biscuit and coffee, then at wally world to pick up some last minute groceries....he forgot the pork chops that he and bayouboy ate saturday night while my brother and I attended a Christmas party. If you read up thread a little-I was up at 3:15 and got on DHC to kill time before leaving at 4 am to go to the camp. :hi: Out of respect for my elders, I didn't say anything to him about running late...it's that southern thing... :hi:
Last edited by Indaswamp on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 pm

don taylor wrote:I like that pink bbq grill in the background of that one pic. I gotta get me one of those for my camp.

Its pretty cool watching that deke I held go all over the country.

Keep up the good work guys.

I know you are just trying to bust balls...but the BBQ pit isn't ours- It belongs to some guys in another camp that we are friends with. Since we have a large deck on our camp-our friends come over to our camp to eat and chill out at night. we cooked steaks one night and they left their pit for the coals to burn down, then they forgot about it....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Indaswamp wrote:he was not waiting on me. We had an older gentleman of 67 yrs. follow us and he had 3 stops to make...once for ice, then to stop at a corner store for a sausage biscuit and coffee, then at wally world to pick up some last minute groceries....he forgot the pork chops that he and bayouboy ate saturday night while my brother and I attended a Christmas party. If you read up thread a little-I was up at 3:15 and got on DHC to kill time before leaving at 4 am to go to the camp. :hi: Out of respect for my elders, I didn't say anything to him about running late...it's that southern thing... :hi:
...I gotcha',..(jessst havin' fun)..It looks like to me that everyday is a holiday down there Inda'.. :yes: Ya'll are so dang lucky to live there.. :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:he was not waiting on me. We had an older gentleman of 67 yrs. follow us and he had 3 stops to make...once for ice, then to stop at a corner store for a sausage biscuit and coffee, then at wally world to pick up some last minute groceries....he forgot the pork chops that he and bayouboy ate saturday night while my brother and I attended a Christmas party. If you read up thread a little-I was up at 3:15 and got on DHC to kill time before leaving at 4 am to go to the camp. :hi: Out of respect for my elders, I didn't say anything to him about running late...it's that southern thing... :hi:
...I gotcha',..(jessst havin' fun)..It looks like to me that everyday is a holiday down there Inda'.. :yes: Ya'll are so dang lucky to live there.. :beer:

growing up here...I thought limits were the norm-and that is no lie. I was spoiled at my cousins lease from 87-2001. I could pm you pics. that would make your jaw drop swampy...we use to have more birds than we do now. It is my belief that the commercialization of duck hunting has the birds holding farther north later in the season; unless we have the conditions that we have this year with dry, dry droughts and cold, cold, fronts. Use to be there were VERY few commercial duck guiding services north of about Oklahoma...now they are very common farther north. The change in the rules to allow for flooded of standing corn has affected the birds natural flight patterns. they only move south en masse if absolutely necessary. you guys can flame me if you want-but that is MHO...I will never be convinced that flooding standing corn is nothing other than baiting.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:42 am

never been around flooded corn inda, but it seems to me it would be a pain in the ass to hunt in.

Does the flooded corn even drop ears by the time season is around? I know it will hold for a while so i am curious.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 am

joshco84 wrote:never been around flooded corn inda, but it seems to me it would be a pain in the ass to hunt in.

Does the flooded corn even drop ears by the time season is around? I know it will hold for a while so i am curious.

If you ever see a mallard in a flooded corn field pull ears off the stalk-it is a sight to see...they hover like a hummingbird and grab the ears with their beaks to break them off. If they can't break it, they flap the hell out of it with their wings.

An it's not a pain in the *** to hunt from what I'm told... (Don't know first hand as I have never hunted it) just stand in the middle of it where they are going down in the field, put up a flapper and commence to whackin 'em... :fingerhead:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:31 am

Nice job Keith and Colt!!! Beautiful pintail too.

How was that BBQ sauce?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:33 am

OrangeLake wrote:Nice job Keith and Colt!!! Beautiful pintail too.

How was that BBQ sauce?

That BBQ sauce had some kick to it! :beer: Colt used it to help clean out his sinus's. :lol3: we did not get around to BBQ'd chicken, but will use it next time we do. I used some of it on an sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich though-pretty good. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:58 am

Indaswamp wrote:
OrangeLake wrote:Nice job Keith and Colt!!! Beautiful pintail too.

How was that BBQ sauce?

That BBQ sauce had some kick to it! :beer: Colt used it to help clean out his sinus's. :lol3: we did not get around to BBQ'd chicken, but will use it next time we do. I used some of it on an sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich though-pretty good. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the sauce. Had a 2:1 ratio w/ ketchup and it warmed me up.

Nice hunt on Monday Keith. Same blind? I might be making a hunt down there tomorrow, will touch base w/ young if I do.

Possibly dropping that pintail off today.

You get the rambler Josh?
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Yup got him yesterday. I thought i posted up that i did, either im going nuts or the post got lost in cyber space.

Got him here and everything is in good shape. Cant wait to hunt over him, should get him out at least three days in a row

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm

joshco84 wrote:Yup got him yesterday. I thought i posted up that i did, either im going nuts or the post got lost in cyber space.

Got him here and everything is in good shape. Cant wait to hunt over him, should get him out at least three days in a row

Hair lip 'em Joshco... :thumbsup: we are up 84-82 by my back of the napkin count....let's increase the lead. :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Ill do what i can boys!

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Papachessie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:growing up here...I thought limits were the norm-and that is no lie. I was spoiled at my cousins lease from 87-2001. I could pm you pics. that would make your jaw drop swampy...we use to have more birds than we do now. It is my belief that the commercialization of duck hunting has the birds holding farther north later in the season; unless we have the conditions that we have this year with dry, dry droughts and cold, cold, fronts. Use to be there were VERY few commercial duck guiding services north of about Oklahoma...now they are very common farther north. The change in the rules to allow for flooded of standing corn has affected the birds natural flight patterns. they only move south en masse if absolutely necessary. you guys can flame me if you want-but that is MHO...I will never be convinced that flooding standing corn is nothing other than baiting.

What's the difference between flooded corn and flooded rice? The ducks I hunt late in the season are all full of corn from picked corn fields anyway. If you crawl around on your hands and knees in some of the picked fields, you'd be amazed at how much corn is left behind. I've seen 2,000 geese feed in the same field for a month straight.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:growing up here...I thought limits were the norm-and that is no lie. I was spoiled at my cousins lease from 87-2001. I could pm you pics. that would make your jaw drop swampy...we use to have more birds than we do now. It is my belief that the commercialization of duck hunting has the birds holding farther north later in the season; unless we have the conditions that we have this year with dry, dry droughts and cold, cold, fronts. Use to be there were VERY few commercial duck guiding services north of about Oklahoma...now they are very common farther north. The change in the rules to allow for flooded of standing corn has affected the birds natural flight patterns. they only move south en masse if absolutely necessary. you guys can flame me if you want-but that is MHO...I will never be convinced that flooding standing corn is nothing other than baiting.

What's the difference between flooded corn and flooded rice? The ducks I hunt late in the season are all full of corn from picked corn fields anyway. If you crawl around on your hands and knees in some of the picked fields, you'd be amazed at how much corn is left behind. I've seen 2,000 geese feed in the same field for a month straight.

the difference is that rice MUST be flooded in accordance with accepted agriculture practices. Corn is not. I have no problem when it is done in accordance with accepted agriculture practices, The problem with flooding corn verses hunting a harvested field is that when things lock up and freeze-the corn on the ground is inaccessable and this forces the birds to migrate south. when it is flooded standing corn, the ears are accessible after freeze up. BTW- it would not bother me to ban hunting rice either-it is bait IMO, even though it is being grown with the intention of harvesting. I am consistent in my positions Papa...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Papachessie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Papachessie wrote:

the difference is that rice MUST be flooded in accordance with accepted agriculture practices. Corn is not. I have no problem when it is done in accordance with accepted agriculture practices, The problem with flooding corn verses hunting a harvested field is that when things lock up and freeze-the corn on the ground is inaccessable and this forces the birds to migrate south. when it is flooded standing corn, the ears are accessible after freeze up. BTW- it would not bother me to ban hunting rice either-it is bait IMO, even though it is being grown with the intention of harvesting. I am consistent in my positions Papa...

Can't argue with ya on that.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:57 pm

aggiechiro wrote:
daffy... wrote:danggg inda. i want dat.

x2

Here ya go guys...Da Family Redbean Gumbo recipe... :thumbsup: enjoy:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=139498

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:40 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:I want some tasty Pintails in full plumage.. :crying:

Then get your *** back down here to Louisiana!!! :hi: :yes: :thumbsup: :hammer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
aggiechiro wrote:
daffy... wrote:danggg inda. i want dat.

x2

Here ya go guys...Da Family Redbean Gumbo recipe... :thumbsup: enjoy:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=139498

Talk about good. I've eaten a lot of gumbo, this is awesome. Eating some right now.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:08 am

Indaswamp wrote:

We had what would have been a super-duper pintail/mallard hybrid drake this morning - if the coyote's first grab for the swimming crip hadn't come up tailfeathers. Still had a broken 6" sprig hanging.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:15 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

We had what would have been a super-duper pintail/mallard hybrid drake this morning - if the coyote's first grab for the swimming crip hadn't come up tailfeathers. Still had a broken 6" sprig hanging.

post up some pics Rick.. :thumbsup: and if you have not done so, pm joshco your address-he was looking for you to send it to him...looking good for next week. :thumbsup: big cold front moving in-I expect ice in some ponds... :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:35 am

When I discovered I'd left my camera at home this morning, I flat knew I'd be sorry, just not how much so. Did take a couple shots with my old cell phone but couldn't even tell what was in the frame. Turned out I got most of what I wanted, but don't know how to get it from phone to computer and am hoping one of the guys will follow through on a promise to e-mail me a better I-phone pic.

I'm thinking next week will go how it goes, ie: I'm afraid to speculate. Had been a pretty good year, http://www.mypitblind.com/main/index.php/forum/339-rick-10-11, but you never know. Three of us had 18 and a speck both Sat and Sun, and four of us had 21 with 13 mallards and nothing to blame but us and the 9:30 marsh curfew for not having 24 with 16 mallards Mon - then Tues two gals and I killed 2, count 'em 2, before the gunning became more like we'd like for the rest of the week to date. Today we had a quick and pretty hunt, while a usually jam-up blind on the end of the marsh that should be best on this wind killed but 3. Just never know...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 am

Rick Hall wrote:When I discovered I'd left my camera at home this morning, I flat knew I'd be sorry, just not how much so. Did take a couple shots with my old cell phone but couldn't even tell what was in the frame. Turned out I got most of what I wanted, but don't know how to get it from phone to computer and am hoping one of the guys will follow through on a promise to e-mail me a better I-phone pic.

I'm thinking next week will go how it goes, ie: I'm afraid to speculate. Had been a pretty good year, http://www.mypitblind.com/main/index.php/forum/339-rick-10-11, but you never know. Three of us had 18 and a speck both Sat and Sun, and four of us had 21 with 13 mallards and nothing to blame but us and the 9:30 marsh curfew for not having 24 with 16 mallards Mon - then Tues two gals and I killed 2, count 'em 2, before the gunning became more like we'd like for the rest of the week to date. Today we had a quick and pretty hunt, while a usually jam-up blind on the end of the marsh that should be best on this wind killed but 3. Just never know...

tuesday was foggy as hell where we were at...birds were not flying at all. was it foggy out your way?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole