The Rambling DHC Decoy.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: The Rambling DHC Decoy.

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Had ground fog birds fly over, instead of under, Tue and Wed.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Had ground fog birds fly over, instead of under, Tue and Wed.

yep, us too. hear the specklebelly geese flying low over the blind but could not see 'em to shoot 'em. :no:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Joshco-how'd you do man??

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Two mallards today, and plans for yesterday got fubared so no hunting yesterday.

Good news is i was about 200 yards from where the birds were dumping in, and am hunting that spot in the morning! Birds just started flying good about 9:30 when we bailed due to a christmas obligation. Only reason we shot the two ducks we did was because an eagle got them up from the other group and they flew straight to us.

Whiffed on a set of goldeneyes and should have had at least one out of the group, and the other gun was peeing while i was shooting.

Still have all day tomorrow and monday morning to hunt, and if the birds work like they did this morning i should be in the money! Not to mention my little honey hole for monday morning!
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:18 pm

:thumbsup: keep us posted and take some pics..

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Ill get on it. Camera batteries were dead today, but picked some up tonight so we are in business brother! cant wait to get out in the morning.

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Hair lip 'em!! :yes: I can't wait to see the pics. from monday's hunt... :beer: bump that lead up for us jeff :lol3: :lol3: :umm: I mean josh...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:34 pm

lol. I hate to say it, but if tomorrow goes like today was turning out to be, im going to need a choke tube less restrictive than improved!! :thumbsup:

I missed the goldeneyes because they were all but in my lap. Hard to hit em that close when you are way overchoked!

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Papachessie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:23 am

joshco84 wrote:lol. I hate to say it, but if tomorrow goes like today was turning out to be, im going to need a choke tube less restrictive than improved!! :thumbsup:

I missed the goldeneyes because they were all but in my lap. Hard to hit em that close when you are way overchoked!

Are you trying to say Goldeneyes are just a tad quicker than a fat greenhead? :lol3:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Lol no, its just hard to hit them when they are overly close. The shots i had were probably around ten feet or so. Its like trying to take their head off with a golf ball lol!

Also a lot harder to track a bird that close, just no room for error.

Went back today and we shot three (mallards). We should have had a few more, but the wind got screwey and started swirling on us, and we had to pick up the rig and move.

Still have one more hunt in the morning and trying to decide where to go.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby joshco84 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Total i killed eight ducks over the deke guys.

Saturday we had to leave early.

Sunday would have been money but the wind screwed us.

Monday afternoon was a chance/gamble

and this morning my ace in the hole was locked up tight and not a bird in sight

The rambler curse lives on, as i had four sucky hunts and lost my camera.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby bayouboy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 pm

joshco84 wrote:Total i killed eight ducks over the deke guys.

lost your camera?

geesh.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:40 pm

joshco84 wrote:Total i killed eight ducks over the deke guys.

maybe I should go ahead and make dat voodoo poule d'eau beak necklace for the rambler anyways and send it on to Rick... :biggrin:

cheer up Josh....we are in the lead... :beer: guess we ain't got no pics though huh... :crying:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah the pics werent too stellar though. Its hard to get a pic of the buffie because he is starting to ride pretty low in the water. I would say 2/3 to 3/4 of the bird is in the water.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:27 pm

joshco84 wrote:Yeah the pics werent too stellar though. Its hard to get a pic of the buffie because he is starting to ride pretty low in the water. I would say 2/3 to 3/4 of the bird is in the water.

yea...what is up with that anyways??? I'd hate to see a whole rig of those type deeks in 3-4 ft. seas!! :eek:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:44 pm

we had that buffy in two foot swells and he actually rode the rough water really well. I think he must not have got sealed well and must be soaking some water into the cork. I sat him on top of my buddies wood stove last night and he seemed to have dried a little, we will see what rick says.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:maybe I should go ahead and make dat voodoo poule d'eau beak necklace for the rambler anyways and send it on to Rick... :biggrin:

hunted with a good cajun friend of mine today who has always considered that a trash duck not worthy of target practice or dog training. finally convinced him to take one. he promised to try the gizzard and breast....as much as he likes eating birds i think i just gave them coots a new enemy.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 pm

joshco84 wrote:we had that buffy in two foot swells and he actually rode the rough water really well. I think he must not have got sealed well and must be soaking some water into the cork. I sat him on top of my buddies wood stove last night and he seemed to have dried a little, we will see what rick says.

whatcha put in da box?? :huh:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 pm

aggiechiro wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:maybe I should go ahead and make dat voodoo poule d'eau beak necklace for the rambler anyways and send it on to Rick... :biggrin:

hunted with a good cajun friend of mine today who has always considered that a trash duck not worthy of target practice or dog training. finally convinced him to take one. he promised to try the gizzard and breast....as much as he likes eating birds i think i just gave them coots a new enemy.

:biggrin: :thumbsup: once they get to the marsh and purge all the nasty stuff out of 'em-they are very good!! :yes: I have no idea what the hell they eat farther up north that makes then taste bad to people??

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Indaswamp wrote:once they get to the marsh and purge all the nasty stuff out of 'em-they are very good!!

my wife prefers almost any carb to protein. she is not fond of most game. she will eat coot like its going out of style. i wonder if it isn't like broccoli or brussel sprouts, some folks like them and others don't.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
joshco84 wrote:we had that buffy in two foot swells and he actually rode the rough water really well. I think he must not have got sealed well and must be soaking some water into the cork. I sat him on top of my buddies wood stove last night and he seemed to have dried a little, we will see what rick says.

whatcha put in da box?? :huh:

two empties with my screename, state and year on them. They are shells i shot on the hunt.

Was going to put feathers with them like others, but couldnt find where i put them this morning? It was just a weekend from hell, lots of hunting, lots of birds in the area, and just couldnt make it work for some reason.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 pm

aggiechiro wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:once they get to the marsh and purge all the nasty stuff out of 'em-they are very good!!

my wife prefers almost any carb to protein. she is not fond of most game. she will eat coot like its going out of style. i wonder if it isn't like broccoli or brussel sprouts, some folks like them and others don't.

sure she ain't pregnant?? :eek: :lol3: :hi: :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am

Indaswamp wrote:
aggiechiro wrote:

sure she ain't pregnant?? :eek: :lol3: :hi: :beer:

got 2 kids, we've had 4 pregnancies. we both know she ain't. justone of them things. i can do what i think is a great job cooking a speck or a woodie and she prefers the damn coot. :huh:
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:33 am

Just between us chickens, so do I. But we don't eat it often, because I've no interest in shooting them. Last time was a Christmas I spent alone a couple years back, and I shot one to eat with woodcock, which are my favorite of all meats. Some folks think they're nasty , too.

As for the curse and unsealed cork, I've been having a real solid split, and hate to see our good luck tampered with. Would let the buffy hunt the camp fireplace with Doug, but he slips a gear now and then and might toss him in.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:39 am

Am thinking the curse precedes the decoy, as it's not arrived yet, but I had a miserable hunt in the rain last night, highlighted by taking a knee in thigh deep water and getting a much too close look at a cottonmouth's namesake. Then my marsh pit sprung at least two leaks with the rising water this morning...
Rick Hall
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole