Duck Habits

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Duck Habits

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:57 pm

I have hunted ducks steadily for 4 years now, and i have yet to figure out how ducks react to different weather conditions. I would appriciate it very much if someone would tell me how different weather conditions make ducks react. For example, the wind, snow, sleete, rain, cloudy, overcast, windy, etc... I would appriciate it if someone could explain duck habits in different weather conditions to me.

Thanks guys,
Mat
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:22 am

Hey Hunter, ducks will fly best on the nastiest days. The wind, sleet, rain, and ice seems to keep em a little more active. On a nice blue bird day ducks are more inclined to just be lazy. Now, I have shot plenty of ducks on a nice day, but, when its nasty, they fly around more...looking for a friend, so, they are more inclined to react to your decoys and call. I like it when there is a layer of skim ice...bust ya out hole....throw ya some decoys in there...and have plenty of bullets at hand. Y'all have a nice day!
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:56 am

I'm assuming ya got down the basic ya know stuff like landing into the wind etc. I've found ducks fly lower around here on real wind days so look low alot they'll be buzzin the ground as mentioned before the nastier the weather the better the duck'll come in , in real crappy weather calling is not usually nessasary they'll just drop right in. My personal opinion is that ducks are a pretty social bird so think of it like they're just stopping to get the weather report and find out if the other ducks are thinking of heading south so they don't get left behind. The easiest way I,ve found to read ducks is to just think of them like they're a bunch of gossips :laughing: sittin at the local coffee shop come in to talk a little in the morning then head out to take care of buisness, but if the weather is stirring up then they'll sit around longer, go to other gathering spots and get everbodys opinions and arguments on what the weather is going to do. Then they'll make a desision on what they are going to do that day, hence the nastier the weather the more to talk about. On nice bluebird days they are gonna chit-chat breifly then head out to do the things ducks do(eat) (ducks coffee shops would be the marsh)
As to reading ducks to tell if they have any intention of landing or are just flying by time in the blind or the feild is the best educator on a ducks intentions are.
theory #2. Ducks and geese are unpredictable and will almost always do the oposite of what they are supposed to do just to irritate me I mean hunters :oops:
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:24 pm

we have the best days when its sunny,cold(15 or below) and about a 15 mph southeast wind.we have did pretty good on other weather conditons but that is the best.you always want the sun and wind at your back if possible.rain is about the worst thing to have for duck hunting.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:04 pm

Give me the wind and the rain. The nastier the better. The bad weather pushes the ducks off the big waters and they seem to come looking for smaller areas with cover. Hence, always bring xtra gear. Leave it in your truck but have it. I've seen a lot of hunters miss spectacular shooting because they got wet or cold. Good Luck All!
tstrong
hunter

Postby Southbound1 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:37 am

I think alot of it depends on the area you are hunting. Hunting the coast for many years it could not be nasty enough! The harder the weather the more the divers want to come crashing into your dekes. Hunting Oklahoma I have found that when hunting small bodies of water and flooded fields in can be too nasty and it just shuts down. The best weather in this area is overcast with a good wind. Throw in sleet, snow, etc. and it can be real tough. We shhot a ton of birds on clear days as well as long as there is some wind involved. This is not to say we don't shoot birds in the driving rain and sleet but it is usually at first light when they are getting from point A to point B. After that, the hunt gets tough.
The Quacker Smacker
Southbound1
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:30 pm

I live in So Calif. Nasty weather here is cold - 40 degrees, windy 15 to 20 mph and rainy - drisel at best. We don't have anything like you guys are use to. Hope to hunt the Dakotas and even Texas for Goose someday. Until then I pray for rain from Oct through Jan.
tstrong
hunter

Postby taylordekes » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:05 pm

I've found that if you ask yourself "What the he** am I doin' out in this shite!" then thats the type of weather the ducks really respond in. I wish I could call 40 degrees cold like the Cali's do - that warm weather to us on the Northborder!
If you ain't bleedin' - you ain't carvin'
taylordekes
DHC Sponsor

weather report

Postby gracenjohn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:34 pm

39 degrees and 45 degree rain entering your ear canals tells us its time to head to the sloughs off the main river and any sheltered hole. Sunny weather lets me sleep in and not show up until 10am to catch the loafers getting back to the refuges from the corn fields. Other than those observations, let me know when you figure it out. :cool:

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby Hawk » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:07 am

I would like to ask something on this matter, maybe this isn't the proper post, How do you set up your dekes in this situation or on calm days, alot of dekes or less etc. What pattern are you looking for? :help: Thanks ! Hawk. If there is another thread on this please shoot me in that direction.
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Re: Duck Habits

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:27 am

This one deserves a bump.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole