Bag limit of ducks

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby BigRiver » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am

Inda, I have not expressed an opinion on either law. I am not looking down on you, as it would be a pot/kettle deal.
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am

I think the law is insane on this..Lots of folks freeze fish and have more than a 2 day limit and you don't see a rub about that..possession is possession. I don't see why we have to be in such a hurry to get it all in the septic tank.. :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 am

assateague wrote:I "gifted" mine while still in the field! :devil:

you can only do that if they are tagged AT... :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby fullbloodedtxn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:43 am

charlie beard wrote:Here's the responce from USFWS

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the possession limit for Migratory game birds. The Service's Pubic Affairs office asked us to respond to your question.

Ducks that have been processed processed for consumption that are in your freezer count against your possession limit. Possession ends when the bird ceases to exist as such--ie, the duck is consumed and remaining parts are discarded. Simpley processing the birds for consumption does not constitute an end to possession.

Please fell free to contact us in the future at R9LEwww.@fws.gov if you have additional questions about Service regulations or laws we enforce.

Sandy Cleva
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Office of Law Enforcement

This to me pretty much explains it.
If a State Warden tells you your possession limit ends once the birds are in the freezer he is wrong. :no:

So a mounted bird counts to your possesion limit? Remaining parts have not been discarded. And I'm completely with WTN about the group limit vs. possesion limit. From reading those group threads it would seem that a lot of folks on here consider those who participate in group limits as the scum of the Earth. I would love to see those same people's freezers. And guess what, ignorance of the law is no defense.
fullbloodedtxn
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:46 am

fullbloodedtxn wrote:So a mounted bird counts to your possesion limit? Remaining parts have not been discarded. And I'm completely with WTN about the group limit vs. possesion limit. From reading those group threads it would seem that a lot of folks on here consider those who participate in group limits as the scum of the Earth. I would love to see those same people's freezers. And guess what, ignorance of the law is no defense, POACHERS!

Fixed it for you! :thumbsup:
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 am

Indaswamp wrote:
BigRiver wrote:Inda, not trying to pick a fight with you.

I just find it odd that some on this site may disregard this law, stupid or not, but may view the "group" thing as being a poacher.

Hypocrisy in my eyes

Just sayin'

I know many game wardens that will hammer someone for group limiting. not many that will go after over the possession limit in your freezer as a separate offense.
just like I know cops that won't ticket jaywalkers...
if people want to group limit-best a luck to ya. walk the line if you choose. guess I'll be delivering a bunch of ducks and "gifting" them today so as to be "legal" within the eyes of the stupid law. that's my legal option. good luck finding one with group limits in the field.

I'll send you my address!
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 am

Fish aren't covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, otherwise we'd be dealin' with the Feds on that as well. It's an ancient law and not insane. It hasn't been revised because they still find it useful. Repeat...they still prosecute people for havin' too many birds in the freezer. Sure, the majority of these people are guilty of something else, but they're still prosecuted for too many birds in the freezer. They've not revised it because it has its place. A warden can share any view on the law he chooses, but it is what it is...illegal. Most cops think a right turn on red is legal, but it's not unless posted as such.

Huntin' buddies like you are one more reason I hunt alone so often, and also the reason I wouldn't want a Fed searchin' my freezer this morning. :hammer: :biggrin:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 am

quackerattacker wrote:Fish aren't covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, otherwise we'd be dealin' with the Feds on that as well. It's an ancient law and not insane. It hasn't been revised because they still find it useful. Repeat...they still prosecute people for havin' too many birds in the freezer. Sure, the majority of these people are guilty of something else, but they're still prosecuted for too many birds in the freezer. They've not revised it because it has its place. A warden can share any view on the law he chooses, but it is what it is...illegal. Most cops think a right turn on red is legal, but it's not unless posted as such.

Huntin' buddies like you are one more reason I hunt alone so often, and also the reason I wouldn't want a Fed searchin' my freezer this morning. :hammer: :biggrin:

I hunt alone 95% of the time too. That was just a dig at me labelling myself a poacher in the group limits thread. The day the feds come to search my freezer is the day I'm going to prison anyway, so watch for it on the news!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 am

vincentpa wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
BigRiver wrote:Inda, not trying to pick a fight with you.

I just find it odd that some on this site may disregard this law, stupid or not, but may view the "group" thing as being a poacher.

Hypocrisy in my eyes

Just sayin'

I know many game wardens that will hammer someone for group limiting. not many that will go after over the possession limit in your freezer as a separate offense.
if people want to group limit-best a luck to ya. walk the line if you choose. guess I'll be delivering a bunch of ducks and "gifting" them today so as to be "legal" within the eyes of the stupid law. that's my legal option. good luck finding one with group limits in the field.

I'll send you my address!

the gifted birds are going to family and friends locally...which they will then gift back to me upon request. all perfectly legal BTW..stupid that a man has to go through such steps for an arcane law.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby charlie beard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 am

This possession limit was added to Federal Migratory bird laws in the 1930s to curb commercialize selling of waterfowl.

To make some of you feel better an easing of Federal Rule's defining possession limits of waterfowl appears possible as early as 2011-2012.

I just looked it up under Federal waterfowl possession limits. :rolleyes:
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 am

charlie beard wrote:This possession limit was added to Federal Migratory bird laws in the 1930s to curb commercialize selling of waterfowl.

To make some of you feel better an easing of Federal Rule's defining possession limits of waterfowl appears possible as early as 2011-2012.

I just looked it up under Federal waterfowl possession limits. :rolleyes:

and I'm betting possession limit will cease when the birds are in your freezer "processed". :hi:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 am

quackerattacker wrote:Fish aren't covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, otherwise we'd be dealin' with the Feds on that as well. It's an ancient law and not insane.
..Thanks for the clarification quacker, but the practice of freezing/preserving FOOD for consumption later is more ancient than the law..Point being..that convicting someone for legally taking game and freezing it for consumption later is INSANE. One year we saved every duck we killed one season to fix at a later time. A duckhuntin' buddy of mine was getting married, and nominated me to fix Ducks for 60 guests..I understand the law is the law..it's the principle of being unfairly charged with a crime..Seems the law wants to dictate when you eat your food here..Sounds like you can only eat Ducks when duckseason is in..or a couple days afterwards..
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:25 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
quackerattacker wrote:Fish aren't covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, otherwise we'd be dealin' with the Feds on that as well. It's an ancient law and not insane.
..Thanks for the clarification quacker, but the practice of freezing/preserving FOOD for consumption later is more ancient than the law..Point being..that convicting someone for legally taking game and freezing it for consumption later is INSANE. One year we saved every duck we killed one season to fix at a later time. A duckhuntin' buddy of mine was getting married, and nominated me to fix Ducks for 60 guests..I understand the law is the law..it's the principle of being unfairly charged with a crime..Seems the law wants to dictate when you eat your food here..Sounds like you can only eat Ducks when duckseason is in..or a couple days afterwards..

X1000 :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:

No, but marine fish are covered by the Feds. Without this, the new world wouldn't have been conquered and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
Attachments
IMAG0171.jpg
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 am

For you fellows that have too many ducks in the freezer and the Feds. check you. Tell em your wife bought them at Piggly Wigglys or Kroger. :lol:
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:59 am

vincentpa wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:

No, but marine fish are covered by the Feds. Without this, the new world wouldn't have been conquered and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
..I hear ya'.. :wink:

swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm with y'all, and even wonder why the subject keeps comin' up. Ethics shmethics, if you seek justification or need the ok to appease sleepless nights because this little somethin' is keepin' ya awake at night, then I understand. Stupid law when applied to an otherwise honest hunter, I'll agree. It's never kept me awake and I'll never count carcasses in my freezer. Just pointin' out that "but my GW says" or "it's insane" won't change the words stated plainly in black and white. We can all play lawyer and twist the words to our liking, but it won't change anything, because in the end it is what it is and the only ones sputterin' are the ethics police. The only thing anyone has to justify anything to is themselves.

Besides, don't ya figure this statute remains in effect to further deter group limits? :yes:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:29 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:No, but marine fish are covered by the Feds. Without this, the new world wouldn't have been conquered and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
..I hear ya'.. :wink:

Actually the pic I posted was a fillet of baccala, salt cod. I had it two nights ago.
Attachments
IMAG0171.jpg
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 pm

3legged_lab wrote:POSSESSION AND TRANSPORT
Maximum number of birds that a person
may lawfully possess (includes fresh,
frozen, or otherwise processed) in the
field or in transit to place of permanent
residence
(see pages 14-16, 18 and 21
for possession limits). Game birds shipped
or given to another person for transport
during the season or within 48 hours after
the season closes must be accompanied
by a written note listing the number and
kinds; date killed; name and address of
possessor; and signature, address and
hunting license number of the hunter. Birds
transported more than 48 hours after the
season closes must bear a shipping permit
or metal seal of ODFW. Shipping permits
or metal seals are available at any ODFW
regional or district office and any Oregon
State Police office.
Field Possession Limit: No person may
possess, have in custody, or transport
more than the daily bag limit or aggregate
daily bag limit, whichever applies, of
migratory game birds, tagged or not
tagged, at or between the place where
taken and either (a) automobile or
principal means of land transportation;
or (b) personal abode or temporary or
transient place of lodging; (c) migratory
bird preservation facility; (d) Post Office;
or (e) common carrier facility.
OTHER RESTRICTIONS

taken from current OREGON regs.

So why does it point out "in transit ........" if it doesnt matter?

I am very sure I could be be interpreting this wrong, but that is just how I alway thought it was meant.

This is in the Louisiana Regulations as well. If ever ticketed for over the possession limit in my freezer, I feel pretty confident that by bringing an actual copy of the regulations and giving them to the judge as evidence would result in my acquittal from the heinous crime. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but doing what the authorities tell you is correct only to later be prosecuted would seem to be entrapment. Granted, I am no attorney, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In any event, I will not be losing a lot of sleep over it.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby fullbloodedtxn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Sandman3400 wrote:This is in the Louisiana Regulations as well. If ever ticketed for over the possession limit in my freezer, I feel pretty confident that by bringing an actual copy of the regulations and giving them to the judge as evidence would result in my acquittal from the heinous crime. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but doing what the authorities tell you is correct only to later be prosecuted would seem to be entrapment. Granted, I am no attorney, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In any event, I will not be losing a lot of sleep over it.

Federal law trumps state law. Is there really anyone loosing sleep over this? Do game wardens enter your house and search your freezer that often that you feel you need to find a loophole? Geeze, lighten up y'all.
fullbloodedtxn
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

quackerattacker wrote:I'm with y'all, and even wonder why the subject keeps comin' up. Ethics shmethics, if you seek justification or need the ok to appease sleepless nights because this little somethin' is keepin' ya awake at night, then I understand. Stupid law when applied to an otherwise honest hunter, I'll agree. It's never kept me awake and I'll never count carcasses in my freezer. Just pointin' out that "but my GW says" or "it's insane" won't change the words stated plainly in black and white. We can all play lawyer and twist the words to our liking, but it won't change anything, because in the end it is what it is and the only ones sputterin' are the ethics police. The only thing anyone has to justify anything to is themselves.

I see..so the fact that a voice of opinion about the aforementioned laws won't change it in "black and white", one should not comment about it?.. :huh:
I actually could care less about it..and will NEVER lose a seconds sleep over it..You obey umpteen State, and Federal laws to Duckhunt, and then lawfully break one Federal law in the process of obeying the others..screw it..arrest me..I've done nothing wrong.. :hi:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:00 pm

The HH is a death match. It doesn't stop until someone dies or quits.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Eschutz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm

charlie beard wrote:Here's the responce from USFWS

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the possession limit for Migratory game birds. The Service's Pubic Affairs office asked us to respond to your question.

Ducks that have been processed processed for consumption that are in your freezer count against your possession limit. Possession ends when the bird ceases to exist as such--ie, the duck is consumed and remaining parts are discarded. Simpley processing the birds for consumption does not constitute an end to possession.

Please fell free to contact us in the future at R9LEwww.@fws.gov if you have additional questions about Service regulations or laws we enforce.

Sandy Cleva
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Office of Law Enforcement

Well my state defines it differently so if it's a state guys rifling through my freezer, I'm golden, if it's a fed I'm screwed.

Good thing I spread my ducks around!

This to me pretty much explains it.
If a State Warden tells you your possession limit ends once the birds are in the freezer he is wrong. :no:
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I know many game wardens that will hammer someone for group limiting. not many that will go after over the possession limit in your freezer as a separate offense.

Inda - I doubt your gonna find many people who violate the individual limit law and are torn up about the possession deal. On the other hand - we both know many will keep a possession in the freezer beyond two bag limit but observe the daily regs of limit.

Apparently both are illegal - just one group 2x's the violations. I'm betting in the eyes of the law (in terms of punishment or egregious act) the latter would carry more punishment.

Speed on your way home and you're a real douche apparently.

I've heard this 'Market Hunter' stuff before as a basis but don't buy it. I think possession is another governor of overall limit or take in a periods time. But to actually 'define that' by location or circumstance in federal regulations would be next to impossible.

If the above is true - the only other recourse would be to minimize daily Individual bag limits or place 'time limits of possession' on a higher number of birds.

You'd have to be a moron to believe the desired or expected number of birds taken a year (in setting regulations) is really calculated on each hunters daily limit x number of season days.

Who wants to volunteer to ask the Fed's why the possession limit is 2x bag?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 pm

And if you feel real froggy - ask them to define a group limit! :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole