Bag limit of ducks

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:44 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Who wants to volunteer to ask the Fed's why the possession limit is 2x bag?


it's to allow people at remote locations in the process of harvesting game the opportunity to do so for more than one day at a time.(Provided they shoot a limit the first day).
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana


Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby assateague » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Inda - I doubt your gonna find many people who violate the individual limit law and are torn up about the possession deal

You and I both know this being disingenuous. Nobody on here who has defended group limits (myself included) is pretending to be torn up about possession limits- it is more a pointing out of the casting of stones. If you can't admit that calling me a poacher for group limits, then turn around and say that possession laws are simply stupid is hypocrisy, then we will never agree. The painful fact of the matter is that anyone who violates any game law is a poacher, whether or not they want to admit it, stupid law or not, by your own definition. Apology accepted.

vincentpa wrote:The HH is a death match. It doesn't stop until someone dies or quits.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:59 pm

assateague wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Inda - I doubt your gonna find many people who violate the individual limit law and are torn up about the possession deal

You and I both know this being disingenuous. Nobody on here who has defended group limits (myself included) is pretending to be torn up about possession limits- it is more a pointing out of the casting of stones. If you can't admit that calling me a poacher for group limits, then turn around and say that possession laws are simply stupid is hypocrisy, then we will never agree. The painful fact of the matter is that anyone who violates any game law is a poacher, whether or not they want to admit it, stupid law or not, by your own definition. Apology accepted.

vincentpa wrote:The HH is a death match. It doesn't stop until someone dies or quits.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I didn't cast any stones here and my statement is likely correct.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18856
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Who wants to volunteer to ask the Fed's why the possession limit is 2x bag?


it's to allow people at remote locations in the process of harvesting game the opportunity to do so for more than one day at a time.(Provided they shoot a limit the first day).


That only addresses transport though, Not your freezer.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18856
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Who wants to volunteer to ask the Fed's why the possession limit is 2x bag?


it's to allow people at remote locations in the process of harvesting game the opportunity to do so for more than one day at a time.(Provided they shoot a limit the first day).


That only addresses transport though, Not your freezer.

I'm confident that will be addressed with the new changes charlie mentioned coming for 2011-2012...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby vincentpa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:38 pm

assateague wrote:You and I both know this being disingenuous. Nobody on here who has defended group limits (myself included) is pretending to be torn up about possession limits- it is more a pointing out of the casting of stones. If you can't admit that calling me a poacher for group limits, then turn around and say that possession laws are simply stupid is hypocrisy, then we will never agree. The painful fact of the matter is that anyone who violates any game law is a poacher, whether or not they want to admit it, stupid law or not, by your own definition. Apology accepted.



Indaswamp wrote:
I'm confident that will be addressed with the new changes charlie mentioned coming for 2011-2012...



So we're all agreed. We're all poachers until the new regs come out in 2012. Misery loves company.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

vincentpa wrote:
assateague wrote:You and I both know this being disingenuous. Nobody on here who has defended group limits (myself included) is pretending to be torn up about possession limits- it is more a pointing out of the casting of stones. If you can't admit that calling me a poacher for group limits, then turn around and say that possession laws are simply stupid is hypocrisy, then we will never agree. The painful fact of the matter is that anyone who violates any game law is a poacher, whether or not they want to admit it, stupid law or not, by your own definition. Apology accepted.



Indaswamp wrote:
I'm confident that will be addressed with the new changes charlie mentioned coming for 2011-2012...



So we're all agreed. We're all poachers until the new regs come out in 2012. Then only those that shoot group limits will be poachers.

not those that "gift" birds... :biggrin: :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby vincentpa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Hello,
My name is Vincent... and I'm a poacher.

There that's the first step. I feel so much better already.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:18 pm

So that's what PA stands for - I thought it was Pennsylvania! :yes:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18856
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:58 pm

HNTFSH wrote:So that's what PA stands for - I thought it was Pennsylvania! :yes:


:lol3: , And look again! He's already admitted he's a shady character..He's a Stealer..I mean..a Steeler..... :biggrin:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
User avatar
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 9075
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 am
Location: Gloucester,Va.

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:07 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:So that's what PA stands for - I thought it was Pennsylvania! :yes:


:lol3: , And look again! He's already admitted he's a shady character..He's a Stealer..I mean..a Steeler..... :biggrin:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
What is this? The mob?? EH Vinny!! ....Hit 'em with da Bat!... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 pm

While I understand that Federal law trumps State law, I guess you can look at it like Medical cards for the "potheads". Do what your state rules say until otherwise imprisoned. :yes:
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
User avatar
3legged_lab
hunter
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: klamath falls, OR Great Pacific Flyway

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Eh, our worries are over. As Charlie mentioned, they've recognized the silliness of such an archaic statute and may amend the allotment allowed in your freezer...

Currently, with exceptions only for “light” geese, possession by an individual at any time or place (even in a home freezer) of more than twice the daily bag limit of any migratory game bird is a violation of federal law...

...Federal waterfowl officials have agreed to consider recommending loosening possession limit rules. The first move is tentatively set for the 2011-12 season and would increase the possession limit to three times the daily limit.


Three times the daily limit! Wow, they do get it! That extra limit o birds should tide us over 'til next fall. I'd pass on them 'lil ducks though, and just shoot the big uns if ya really plan on enjoyin' 'em into the summer months. :yes: :beer:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
User avatar
quackerattacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:19 pm
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 pm

quackerattacker wrote:Eh, our worries are over. As Charlie mentioned, they've recognized the silliness of such an archaic statute and may amend the allotment allowed in your freezer...

Currently, with exceptions only for “light” geese, possession by an individual at any time or place (even in a home freezer) of more than twice the daily bag limit of any migratory game bird is a violation of federal law...

...Federal waterfowl officials have agreed to consider recommending loosening possession limit rules. The first move is tentatively set for the 2011-12 season and would increase the possession limit to three times the daily limit.


Three times the daily limit! Wow, they do get it! That extra limit o birds should tide us over 'til next fall. I'd pass on them 'lil ducks though, and just shoot the big uns if ya really plan on enjoyin' 'em into the summer months. :yes: :beer:

well, that seems fair enough. :huh:
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
User avatar
3legged_lab
hunter
 
Posts: 6351
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: klamath falls, OR Great Pacific Flyway

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 pm

I don't see why people are willing to accept 3X daily as a possession limit.
Why not get real and say possession limit ends at permanent residence? :huh:
I still don't see how they would prove number of birds that have been processed into sausage of any kind.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:26 am

QH's Paw wrote:I don't see why people are willing to accept 3X daily as a possession limit.
Why not get real and say possession limit ends at permanent residence? :huh:
I still don't see how they would prove number of birds that have been processed into sausage of any kind.

if you have made sausage with 'em and froze it, you have broken the law with regard to the way the FED's view possession limits anyway. must have an attached wing and be tagged remember...that is why most Game wardens in Louisiana will not push possession limits past your personal residence. you break the law when you prepare them to be frozen-even if you only have 2 days worth of birds. :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 am

but hey-I'm all for possession limits being raised to 3X daily limit...that will help us out at our remote camp-won't have to run birds in as often to be "gifted" away... :wink: <wink wink> That will help save on gas.

There should be a way for possession limit to end once the birds are processed at home. IMO...
BUT-on the flip side, I know why they are not going to do this... There have been cases where guys on road trips were shooting way over their limits and making sausage in the hotel in order to hide the fact that they were poaching over the daily limit. I see the need for the way it is interpreted-but It's never intended for the honest folks following the rules in the field.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby BigRiver » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 am

X2 Inda, laws, in general, are not in place for the law abiding.


Talk to any LEO and they will tell you their interaction is with the bottom 2% of society. If they do run into anyone else it is on the worst day of their life.
User avatar
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 am
Location: SE Minnesota Not SEMN

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Papachessie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 am

Indaswamp wrote:but hey-I'm all for possession limits being raised to 3X daily limit...that will help us out at our remote camp-won't have to run birds in as often to be "gifted" away... :wink: <wink wink> That will help save on gas.

There should be a way for possession limit to end once the birds are processed at home. IMO...
BUT-on the flip side, I know why they are not going to do this... There have been cases where guys on road trips were shooting way over their limits and making sausage in the hotel in order to hide the fact that they were poaching over the daily limit. I see the need for the way it is interpreted-but It's never intended for the honest folks following the rules in the field.



My opinion on this is: The law was probably put in place because you had guys that did nothing but duck hunt the entire season, and stocked their freezer with 60 days worth of limits ( I know your thinking no one can get a limit every day of the season, but I'll bet you some of the old timers back before hunting ground was at such a premium could get real close.) and it would either be sold or go to waste. Some people will kill and kill and kill (and I know some) just because they can, even if they know they'll never use what they've got.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:32 am

Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:but hey-I'm all for possession limits being raised to 3X daily limit...that will help us out at our remote camp-won't have to run birds in as often to be "gifted" away... :wink: <wink wink> That will help save on gas.

There should be a way for possession limit to end once the birds are processed at home. IMO...
BUT-on the flip side, I know why they are not going to do this... There have been cases where guys on road trips were shooting way over their limits and making sausage in the hotel in order to hide the fact that they were poaching over the daily limit. I see the need for the way it is interpreted-but It's never intended for the honest folks following the rules in the field.



My opinion on this is: The law was probably put in place because you had guys that did nothing but duck hunt the entire season, and stocked their freezer with 60 days worth of limits ( I know your thinking no one can get a limit every day of the season, but I'll bet you some of the old timers back before hunting ground was at such a premium could get real close.) and it would either be sold or go to waste. Some people will kill and kill and kill (and I know some) just because they can, even if they know they'll never use what they've got.

That is what hunters for the hungry is for...the clean-out your freezer day helps feed a lot of people around here every year.

Papa-what about those hunters that don't eat duck yet enjoy hunting them?? :huh:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Papachessie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:but hey-I'm all for possession limits being raised to 3X daily limit...that will help us out at our remote camp-won't have to run birds in as often to be "gifted" away... :wink: <wink wink> That will help save on gas.

There should be a way for possession limit to end once the birds are processed at home. IMO...
BUT-on the flip side, I know why they are not going to do this... There have been cases where guys on road trips were shooting way over their limits and making sausage in the hotel in order to hide the fact that they were poaching over the daily limit. I see the need for the way it is interpreted-but It's never intended for the honest folks following the rules in the field.



My opinion on this is: The law was probably put in place because you had guys that did nothing but duck hunt the entire season, and stocked their freezer with 60 days worth of limits ( I know your thinking no one can get a limit every day of the season, but I'll bet you some of the old timers back before hunting ground was at such a premium could get real close.) and it would either be sold or go to waste. Some people will kill and kill and kill (and I know some) just because they can, even if they know they'll never use what they've got.

That is what hunters for the hungry is for...the clean-out your freezer day helps feed a lot of people around here every year.


Papa-what about those hunters that don't eat duck yet enjoy hunting them?? :huh:


Is that when everyone gets rid of the evidence? :lol3: :clapping:


That's fine, as long as you've got someone that'll take it off your hands and won't waste it.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, That's just what I think their reasoning was. If they really wanted to push this law, I'm confident they could bust the majority of hunters and fisherman. I believe a lot of states have the same laws for fish.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 am

Papachessie wrote:That's fine, as long as you've got someone that'll take it off your hands and won't waste it.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, That's just what I think their reasoning was. If they really wanted to push this law, I'm confident they could bust the majority of hunters and fisherman. I believe a lot of states have the same laws for fish.


Then it's a moot law Papa...that guy could still go out everyday and shoot his limit every day and still be legal...
how is that fundamentally different than putting 'em in the freezer?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Papachessie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:23 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Papachessie wrote:That's fine, as long as you've got someone that'll take it off your hands and won't waste it.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, That's just what I think their reasoning was. If they really wanted to push this law, I'm confident they could bust the majority of hunters and fisherman. I believe a lot of states have the same laws for fish.


Then it's a moot law Papa...that guy could still go out everyday and shoot his limit every day and still be legal...
how is that fundamentally different than putting 'em in the freezer?[/quote]

It's not any more fundamentally different than if I shoot the last duck of your limit, or if you shoot the last duck of your limit. The duck is still dead. What's the difference if you gift it to me before or after it's dead?Don't tell me, tell the USFWS.
Last edited by Papachessie on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:29 am

Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Papachessie wrote:That's fine, as long as you've got someone that'll take it off your hands and won't waste it.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, That's just what I think their reasoning was. If they really wanted to push this law, I'm confident they could bust the majority of hunters and fisherman. I believe a lot of states have the same laws for fish.


Then it's a moot law Papa...that guy could still go out everyday and shoot his limit every day and still be legal...
how is that fundamentally different than putting 'em in the freezer?[/quote]

It's not any more fundamentally different than if I shoot the last duck of your limit, or if you shoot the last duck of your limit. The duck is still dead.
Don't tell me, tell the USFWS.


then take it to the next level Papa and shoot your buddies limit for him when he isn't there...I mean while we are talking comparisons...that is no different either... :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56753
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bag limit of ducks

Postby Papachessie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

Fundamentals aren't laws. Either your breaking the law, or your following it. Period. You can argue fundamentals and moot laws all you want. It's still the law.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4297
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: budd334, Exabot [Bot] and 19 guests