First day of Lake season and one jerk

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

First day of Lake season and one jerk

Postby Snaph » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:35 pm

Game wardens galore. I respect and have total admiration for these people. I understand they do what they have to do because of a few bad eggs. But today we got everything but a full body cavity search. I have come across game wardens in the field before and always had a nice little chat. Let me set one thing strait; these game wardens were very nice and did not act like a couple of jerks or anything like that. They did make it clear that they were in charge. I just have never been grilled like I was today. And me being a stupid newbie, felt like a moron.

First there was the license check. I have never had my license taken off my back before, opened up and verified by him by looking at my driver’s license. I then was politely reprimanded for having stuck my federal duck stamp to my hunting license. Then I was asked to show my migratory bird stamp...that is always in my wallet...that I could not find. We (between 3 of us) had six Mallards in the back of one truck. They told us that that was wrong also. We needed to separate the ducks in bags identifying whose ducks belonged to whom. (That makes sense) (I’m still looking for my migratory bird license)

They got us on the side of the road before we went into the blind so that was good for me. (At the time) I was told (While franticly looking for that stupid stamp I know I put in my wallet) that because we were still under the limit of duck for our hunting party, that things are OK. I would just need to get a new stamp before I could hunt. As he was inspecting the inside of my license when he noted that when I got my license that the seller is supposed to write down the migratory license number inside of my regular license. That was not done, and I learned that maybe K-mart should train their employees better. And that I should learn more myself. I tried to convince the officer that I would not willingly get myself in legal trouble over a three dollar stamp. He believed me, but that was not the point and I don’t blame him. The topic then switched to what kind of shot we had. (Still ripping my wallet apart)

I did not hear much of that conversation. I had a pocket full of steel shot and that was the last of my worries. They informed us that if we were in a blind they could cut open a shell and all that stuff. Once again that makes sense. They forgot about me for a few moments until I screamed “here it is!” I am wiping sweat off my brow at the time. He looked at my stamp for about one second, nodded his head and handed it back to me.
Ok, we all learned a lot today. Federal Game Wardens know their job and enforce it. This is good. To the blind...

My buddy had a bunch of Bluebill dekes chained together. They looked like they where in a huddle about to plan a third and long play. The Mallard dekes placed to the right and left of them. There was no shooting going on or any ducks flying or seen, so we entertained ourselves with bodily noises instead.

Knock, knock, knock. Here is the Pa game commission outside of the blind. That happened about the same time we were trying to use the Jedi mind trick on four Mallards to swim to the dekes. Well that was never to happen. Here comes the license check again. (I knew where my migratory stamp was) After that we just gave up and went to lunch.

Back to the original spot for the evening hunt. All that produced was my buddy’s 9 year old son telling us “you guys stink” after missing a bunch of birds. Time to go home...

So we tromped out to the road only to be greeted buy a rent-a-cop for the local sand a gravel company that is near by. (500 yards at least) We were told that we could not hunt there. This was not their property we were on. He then told us some off-duty whatever people would “bust or balls” if they caught us hunting there. Then he said it was the city’s property. OK what the hell is going on? The Federal Game Wardens said we could hunt the entire Presque Isle Bay as long as we adhered to safety zones and private property. That is cool and I would always show respect for that. The area (we hunted) is not marked as no hunting, trespassing nor is it posted. I know I pay taxes to the city...so as far as I am concerned that is ours to hunt. “Bust or balls?” I did not hear the words, “fine”, “arrested” or “trespassing.” So we had four guys doing their job today and one loser being a jerk. Anybody else have anything like this happen?
Snaph
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:36 am

I'll explain 1 thing, that is possession of birds in which you are not clear about.

Yes the fed law states that you must somehow identify whos fowl is whos. Not just in in a vehicle, but also in the blind. It has to do with lawbreakers trying to bend the laws to their advantage. Thus you must be able to identify (keep seperate) whos fowl is whos. This has to do with "party" hunting which is illegal for fowl. Often in a group you will have 1 real good shooter, 1 average and 1 poor shot. The good shooter may not shoot moore than his daily legal bag. Say the limit is 7 birds, once he gets his 7, he must put away his firearm even though the poor shooter may only have 1 bird. You may only shoot your own birds, you may not shoot another hunters birds for him. And the sperated birds is so that specie restrictions are not violated. The good shooter can not say shoot 3 Cans and 3 Pintials and 1 Mallard for his 7 and then try to give away 2 Cans and 2 Pintails to the other 2 guys -nope- to shoot over the daily species restriction is illegal. If a guy did the above-he would be gulity of 4 counts (2 over the limit Cans, and 2 Pintials).
The laws are set in place to prevent abuses of overharvest.

But say at the end of the day, the good shooter has his 7, and average shooter has 3 and the poor shooter 1. The good shooter may "gift" some of his birds to the others guys--but the birds must be accompanied buy his, name, adress, lic #, date and who he gave them to, species listed including hen or drakes, (all on paper) so that the gifting is legal. And he may not gift more than the daily specie restrictions to a person either. EG if the poor shooter had a Pintail-he may not gift a Pintail to the guy since he is already had one that day.

I hope this clarifies the possession laws and their intent.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:56 am

Sounds to me like I need to sign a pre-nup with my hunting partners before legal shooting light! I need to find a lawyer to hunt with, just so I know I'm legal.

:thumbsup:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:44 am

While in the blind or boat it is easy to keep them seperate. Either have a gunny sacks (burlap bag) or use a duck straps for each person. It'll keep them seperated and you will be legal.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Drew Willemsen » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:07 pm

Wow I bet that was a pain...
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:04 pm

Duck straps are awesome! I use them all the time.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:13 pm

Man...you gotta keep your ducks separated?! What's up with that? :thumbsdown: Here in ND you can throw all of 'em in the back of your pickup and head for home. Those a$$holes sound more like Nazi Guards than conservation officers. I agree, at least they're doing their job, but come one...they gotta get off their high horse at least a little. They treated you like common criminals giving you the third degree and all. For Christ's sake they're freakin' ducks...and you didn't even have your limiit...shouldn't that be good enough?!?!?!
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:26 pm

ND-duckslayer,

We usually just put all of our ducks together, but I believe according to federal regulations you are supposed to seperate the ducks out.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:07 pm

NDD,

If a Fed CO stops you, I hope you have a deep pocket book. The Fed law is quite clear about no party hunting or comingling of birds. Ignorance is not a valid defense in the eyes of the law or courts.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:33 pm

we dont party hunt , but we usually just put our birds together.we have been checked over the years and never had to say who got what. but we usually remember who got what .
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:51 pm

H20- I don't think you could be ticketed at all or even need any money in your pocket book if you were below one limit. Think about it, a guy could say he shot everyone of them, and still have a bird left. The game warden was obviosly being a jerk. lighten up a little man!

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:17 pm

I Really did not think the Fed CO's were being jerks. A little heavy handed maybe. They seemed to be a little suspicious because we had more ducks then anybody else they checked that day. The guys I was hunting with should have known about keeping the ducks seperate. They just never thought about it. Thanks Adim for the info. The jerk I was talking about was the rent-a-cop for the sand and gravel Co nearby. Now he said we could not hunt there because it is city property. To me that is like telling kids they can't play basketball or tennis in the city park across the street from my house. Then we tought that maybe he was talking about discarging firearms with in city limits. We are hunting the bay, not the city. There is not a residential area by any means. It is lake and bay front. Not only that, by the amount spent shells laying all over the place, this area is hunted a lot. Once again, no signs whatsoever saying to keep out, no hunting, tresspassing or posted.The amount of garbage that has washed up there is more offensive than anything.

My buddy has also hunted another part of the lake that is city prop. He has walked right past policeman (shotgun and all) that asked how he did.
The police like to walk the pier to see how the fishermen are doing. I guess if I was a cop, I would do the same thing.

I can't remember if I wrote this or not. The Fed Co's told us that the people that live in the high priced condos on the bayfront call the cops all the time because of duck hunters shooting. The police call the Fed CO's to investigate. The CO's find that the hunters are well outside of the safety zone and legal, have to go back to the condo's to explain that the hunters are well within their rights where they are hunting. The people still want the CO's to put and end to it. That makes me want to hunt over there just to piss those people off. But when you do stuff like that they go to city council and cry like babies. Next thing you know they ban breathing near the water.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:55 pm

Thanks ADMIN2...not adim...stupid fingers.
Snaph
hunter

Postby soggybottomboys » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:30 pm

I will say one thing about game wardens or CO's remember that almost every person they encounter is armed think about it most of the time a police officer walking up to an armed person but game wardens thats different that is why they must have that take charge attitude.
soggybottomboys
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:45 am

The wardens were well within their rights to do everything they did. As a matter of fact you guys were lucky they were so leniant on some of the issues. Make sure you know about EVERY law from now on. Ignorance is no excuse like h2ofwlr mentioned. With that said I agree that they were being heavy handed and a little anal, but that comes with the job.

Arkansas has some of the most anal game wardens in the US when it comes to duck hunting and I've met a few of those wardens.

Last year on opening day we came back to the boat ramp with Mr. Green Jeans waiting there for us and anyone else who came in. After we loaded both boats he proceeded to do everything to us but have us turn our heads and cough. He checked all dry boxes, backpacks and storage compartments of the boats for extra birds. He checked all 5 of our licenses (which is a normal occurrence) and then proceeded to check our shells with some new handy dandy black box he had. He claimed it could tell if there was even one lead pellet in a shell. I carry a dry box with 6 boxes of various steel shells in my boat. When I get close to running out I'll stock it back up. He went through EVERY SINGLE BOX CHECKING EVERY SINGLE SHELL and then left them laying in the floor of the boat or on the bench seat. After he was finished with that he checked my toolbox that goes across the bed of my truck. He knew damn well no one had carried anything up from the boat and put it in the box because he had watched us. And then to top everything off he made fun of my dog's name! :pissed:

Another run in with Mr. Green Jeans happened 4 years ago while dove hunting. Right at shooting time a warden came up and checked my license. Nothing unusual. He moved on to check the rest of the people that were sitting on the tree line. On his way back he checked me again! After an hour of hardly shooting anything I packed up and headed to another field in the same area. After being there for 30 min. here comes the same warden again and he checked my license for the THIRD time! I got checked again about an hour later, but it was a different warden.

I have had good run ins with game wardens where they will sit there and B.S. with you and tell jokes. They do their job by checking your gun for a plug, check your shells and license, but they do so in a friendly manner which gets them a lot further than being a jerk.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby had » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:03 pm

i always expect to be stopped by the game and fish but i have never seen them while duck hunting. i like to know they are around so they can catch the guys breaking the law. glad to see you and them handled it right. now for that rent a cop... :pissed: he needs to get back to work.

had
had
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:39 am

Last time I was goose hunting we were jump shooting a couple flocks of geese that were visible from the highway. (completely legal). A bunch of people called the game warden. He came out, we bsed for about an hour, I showed him my license with out being asked. showed him the back of the truck, he glanced at the birds, played with the dog, complimented us on nice equipment and nice dog and left. He said if we put that much time into prepping for goose hunting, training dogs, and spend that much on everything, he won't waste our time to look for a lead BB. He told us a few places the geese had been going to. He was a great guy.

This is what most the gameys around here are like. I enjoy talking with most of them, and usually stop and talk with everyone I see offroad. They know where the game is!

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole