Fishing Pics: Post them up.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: Fishing Pics: Post them up.

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
waldo2382 wrote:Image

Waldo-looks like one of your fish fell off the stringer and is floating under the tree on the bank...

that one would have put him over the limit. Thats why its over there.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 am

Sandman3400 wrote:Just a short little trip to catch supper last month.

man, you know your in Louisiana when there's that much food laid out on the deck and so much Purple and Gold being worn

geaux tigers :thumbsup:
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 pm

jehler wrote:question for you fisherman, any of you guys run church boards, we have yellowbirds and offshores right now. we can run our offshores with a 2 oz torpedo weight but i don't think they could handle much more than that, was wondering about the church boards, every store locally stocks the walleye boards but not the 22 or 44 boards, the website doesn't give the dimensions of the 22, was wondering if it was any bigger and how it runs (I have heard the churches like to dive) also was thinking about just doing the 44's so i could run dipsys and bigger weights, just wondering how big of a PIA they are to reel back to the boat with a fish on them.

I know even more about planar boards than you do about yote hunting. Perhaps I can shed some light.

We currently use church boards for lead core only but I have successfully run up to 12oz weights off of them with braided line. Thats a delicate setup, but it can be done. We just use the regular size, I guess they would be the smaller of the two, about the size of an offshore. I have no idea what on earth the larger ones are for, whales maybe. I would wager that in 1 foot seas running a 2 oz weight you would not even notice a 4 pound walleye bite on the larger church board.

The guys that tell you they dive are both right and idiots. They dive when you get them close to the boat when you retrieve them if you are holding the rod tip high. This probelm can be fixed by pointing the rod tip down at the water while you reel the board/fish in and when you feel the board is close enough just pop it out of the water and keep it out until you can reach it and remove it. That fixes the diving problem. Once you see one dive you will figure out in two seconds what needs to be done to prevent it. I've never seen a properly deployed church board dive for no reason while trolling and i've watched them for at least 5,000 hours.

Off shores are a crumby board. I fished with a guy once who used them and I hated them. They track worse than a yellow bird at twice the weight.

Run braid on your church boards. Wrap the line behind the little pinch pad so the board won't slide during battle.

Dipsy off a church board is pretty chotched up. Thats all i've got to say about that.

Nice walleye :thumbsup: Keep after em.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 pm

a "Church board"...

...Jehler getting ready to "school" his midgets.... :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 pm

I didn't get to fish tis summer, at all. There was one time that my dad was going to be off work long enough to take me to one of our favorite trout spots, but he got called back to work.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Indaswamp wrote:a "Church board"...

...Jehler getting ready to "school" his midgets.... :hi:

If that thing had twice the holes in it, I'd say it was the "board of education" the old school principal tried to wear out on my behind. It didn't even come close to Grandpa's razor strap though.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 am

Bill Herian wrote:I know even more about planar boards than you do about yote hunting. Perhaps I can shed some light.

We currently use church boards for lead core only but I have successfully run up to 12oz weights off of them with braided line. Thats a delicate setup, but it can be done. We just use the regular size, I guess they would be the smaller of the two, about the size of an offshore. I have no idea what on earth the larger ones are for, whales maybe. I would wager that in 1 foot seas running a 2 oz weight you would not even notice a 4 pound walleye bite on the larger church board.

The guys that tell you they dive are both right and idiots. They dive when you get them close to the boat when you retrieve them if you are holding the rod tip high. This probelm can be fixed by pointing the rod tip down at the water while you reel the board/fish in and when you feel the board is close enough just pop it out of the water and keep it out until you can reach it and remove it. That fixes the diving problem. Once you see one dive you will figure out in two seconds what needs to be done to prevent it. I've never seen a properly deployed church board dive for no reason while trolling and i've watched them for at least 5,000 hours.

Off shores are a crumby board. I fished with a guy once who used them and I hated them. They track worse than a yellow bird at twice the weight.

Run braid on your church boards. Wrap the line behind the little pinch pad so the board won't slide during battle.

Dipsy off a church board is pretty chotched up. Thats all i've got to say about that.

Nice walleye :thumbsup: Keep after em.

we use the offshores for walleye, they work good with the tattle flag but I would like something that tracks a little better for salmon/steelhead
this is where I got the idea for the dipsy

do you use the walleye boards or the 22's?
is the 22 bigger than the walleye board?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 am

We use walleye boards.

That 44 thing was massive. I guess you might need that or a big bird to run a magnum dipsy with a dive ring but I have never encountered a situation where I thought running a dipsy off of a board would be effective.

I don't know what a 22 is. Our church boards say walleye board or church tackle on them. They should track better than off shores no matter what tackle they are pulling.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:33 pm

yesterday's trip...
the specks were not doing much, So I jumped out of the boat with a cast net and caught 80-100 finger mullet on the beach and we went to the shallow water rigs. We caught 20-25 bull redfish 15-20 lbs., 4 Lane Snapper-one went 3.75 lbs (was the biggest lane snapper I've seen to date...it was a nice fish indeed), 1 8 lb. grouper, and I boated a 27 lb. Jack Cravele that I thought for sure was a big Cobia...he was shaking his head like a cobia-very unusual behavior for a jackfish...never know what you are gonna catch at the rigs-that's for sure.

mike lane snapper.jpg

Mike bull red.jpg

Jill Redfish.jpg

big jack.jpg

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Indaswamp wrote:yesterday's trip...
the specks were not doing much, So I jumped out of the boat with a cast net and caught 80-100 finger mullet on the beach and we went to the shallow water rigs. We caught 20-25 bull redfish 15-20 lbs., 4 Lane Snapper-one went 3.75 lbs (was the biggest lane snapper I've seen to date...it was a nice fish indeed), 1 8 lb. grouper, and I boated a 27 lb. Jack Cravele that I thought for sure was a big Cobia...he was shaking his head like a cobia-very unusual behavior for a jackfish...never know what you are gonna catch at the rigs-that's for sure.

mike lane snapper.jpg

Mike bull red.jpg

Jill Redfish.jpg

big jack.jpg

That is an awesome lane snapper. I caught one that was just over 12 inches once and thought it was huge, but that one is huge, for a lane that is.

27lb jacks are fun as heck to catch. When they're under 10 lbs, they're annoying, but once they get over that, then its work!
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey GS, That Lane Snapper was 19" long.
State record for Lane Snapper is 6.62 lbs. so that gives you a reference point.
of the other three lane's we caught, 2 measure 14" and one went 16" :thumbsup:

What amazed me though was the Grouper. that fish was caught in 36 ft. of water. usually this time of year all the grouper move to water at least 200 ft. deep.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 pm

And for all you bull croaker fishermen, we boated two bull croakers over 4 lbs. :thumbsup: I ate those for supper tonight! :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:24 am

WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:05 am

GroundSwatter wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:yesterday's trip...

mike lane snapper.jpg

Mike bull red.jpg

Jill Redfish.jpg

big jack.jpg

That is an awesome lane snapper. I caught one that was just over 12 inches once and thought it was huge, but that one is huge, for a lane that is.

27lb jacks are fun as heck to catch. When they're under 10 lbs, they're annoying, but once they get over that, then its work!

got a tip for you GS that you need try over at gitmo. :thumbsup:

some of the guide here are buying these:
it's a tea ball for brewing tea from ground tea leaves that you can buy in bulk.
the guides take these and attach them to the swivel on the leader, with the leader 5-6 ft. long. They make a concoction of fine sand, sawdust (or ground oats...acts as a binder), pogie oil, and ground shrimp heads or ground up pogies/sardines...what ever you can get. mix this up, fill the tea ball, drop it down with a baited hook. When you get to the depth you want to fish, shake your rod up and down and hold on! the tea ball chums the fish at the depth you are fishing and really helps turn the fish on. :thumbsup: order some and try it out! :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:39 pm

WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote: got a tip for you GS that you need try over at gitmo. :thumbsup:

some of the guide here are buying these:
it's a tea ball for brewing tea from ground tea leaves that you can buy in bulk.
the guides take these and attach them to the swivel on the leader, with the leader 5-6 ft. long. They make a concoction of fine sand, sawdust (or ground oats...acts as a binder), pogie oil, and ground shrimp heads or ground up pogies/sardines...what ever you can get. mix this up, fill the tea ball, drop it down with a baited hook. When you get to the depth you want to fish, shake your rod up and down and hold on! the tea ball chums the fish at the depth you are fishing and really helps turn the fish on. :thumbsup: order some and try it out! :beer:

Baahahhaha! Its for 'tea-bagging' fish.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 pm

bowfishing trophies..... well if you can call it that lol
teaves2257
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:38 pm

btw im 6'4 so imagine the size of that carp :yes:
teaves2257
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:42 pm

skint back
its a way of life
teaves2257
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:45 pm

sorry i thought i resized the pics better than that :eek:
teaves2257
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:25 pm

cONG
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:23 pm

some gooood eatin :thumbsup:

teaves2257 wrote:Image
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby teaves2257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:03 pm

LA.Call'emClose wrote:some gooood eatin :thumbsup:

yes indeed :thumbsup:
teaves2257
hunter

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Oh my goodness, those are some nice crappie :thumbsup: biggest one I've caught was 11 1/2"
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Postby jehler » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 am

our redneck salmn boat and what jr. looks like right after he loses a good sized king 20 feet from the boat :lol3:

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole