Shooting Help

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Shooting Help

Postby HonkShooter » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:29 pm

I need some good help here. I'm sick of coming home and saying I got to shoot, but don't have anything to show for it. You guys have any suggestions on how far to lead or any little tricks that help you out? I'll take anything you got. Thanks guys.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby ken h » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:11 pm

Well, for starters what gun, choke and ammo you shoot? Have you patterned your gun for the ammo or to see what shell it prefers? Do you practice by shooting clays etc. Not trying to be a smart *** but these are things I would look at first.
ken h
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:53 pm

Have a mossberg 500 with a improved steelchoke, shooting some winchester experts. (usually the cheaper stuff, probably say that's one of the problems.) never patterned the gun, prob should do that. I shoot clay but still have to figure out how to make the thing throw them faster.

Any guick tips?
thanks
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby ken h » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:11 pm

Don't knock the experts, my beretta likes them over some more expensive shells, patterns very well out of IM choke. I feel that leading is pretty much instinct and don't really know what to say to help you out other than to try to figure out on your own what is wrong. Do you shoot with both eyes open? Does your gun fit you well? Can you take your unloaded gun into the bedroom to the mirror over the dresser, close your eyes and shoulder the gun. When you look down the barrel into the mirror is your eye in the proper position looking down the barrel.

That is all I can say.
ken h
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:39 pm

I always shoot the cheap stuff, and it brings them down. :thumbsup: I use a mod. choke with my gun.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:29 pm

I suggest going to a skeet range. When you can effectively hit 20 of 25 you should do much better while hunting. Granted these are 15 yd shots-but you need to start somewhere. Also a duck tower would be great, About 40 miles from where I live I have access to a duck tower with 25 to 30 yds passing overhead shots. Same deal 20 of 25 is the goal. You may need a some instructions as to what you are doing wrong-but more importantly what to corect to do it right.

Most likely error is not following through after the shells goes off (stopping the swing of the gun) from my experience.

Sorry I do not have a ballistic table for steel shot handy.

I know for the new steel/hevi at 1350fps it is 3.5' at 20 yds, 6' at 30 yds and 8.5' at 40 yds when the target is going 45mph. Reg steel slows down considerably faster after 30 yds, so more lead is required.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:41 pm

I have always been told to lead the (any) bird ten yard further than what you think you should. It is better to shoot in front of it than behind it. Watch where your wadding goes (when you can). That will tell you a lot right there. And like H20 said: follow through...follow through...follow through. Also, I have hunted with people that have a hard time judging distance. They think something is 30 yrds out when it is about 60 yrds away. I am new to duck hunting but have been shooting for years. The guys I hunt with, we always tell the other guy what he did wrong if he misses. (When we see it that is) Not to be jerks...but to help us improve all the way around. We save the ball busting for a few beers after the hunt. I would like to know more about these "duck towers" (is that what I read?) thing-a-ma-jigs."
Snaph
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:55 pm

a ten yard lead???? if ducks are coming into the decoys or leaving the decoys alot of time you can just put the bead right on there head and follow through. and take your time. specially if there huvering over the dekes looking for a place to land. just put the bead on the head and shoot.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:23 pm

What I meant by the "ten yard" thing was when you have a bird haulin azz in front of you right to left or vise versa. The point being is to try and shoot ahead of where the bird is to overcompensate for the habit of shooting behind and/or not following through. I do it all the time when I get excited. But when I calm down and think, stuff dies. Look, some shooting expert could come in here and call me an idiot, thats fine, but it worked for me. I was just suggesting something that might help.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:04 pm

I find that the more time I have to prepare and think for incoming ducks or geese the worse my shot gets. I suppose I am an instinctive shooter--whenever I am caught unawares the darn things seem to always fall to their peril. Good for me, bad for them. I have been duckin for 7 years and have never patterned my guns. I would consider myself a pretty good shot, but not excellent. In my case, confidence played a huge part in my evolution as a shooter. When I started I was using my father-in-laws 870, which was entirely too big for my stature. I couldnt drop anything--it was miserable. I scrimped and saved and bought myself an SBE and never looked back. I use this gun for everything--doves, turkeys, geese, ducks, etc, etc. I also hit the clays at least six times per year. Gradually I got better and built a confidence level that now gives me the mindset that anything that comes into range is going to die and be on my dinner plate. I kind of mentally tell myself that I am the best shot that ever sat in the marsh. Hey, it works for me. Good luck.
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:56 pm

heres a tip from ol gander.. swing.... swing on canadas like this... follow thru.... butt,,,,bellly ,,,,,,,beak....boom...... kerplasshhhhhhhhh
Fatweed
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole