Share your stories!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, #1wingnut, lostpup

Share your stories!

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:28 pm

Buddy crippled a duck this morning. Bird was trying to make it to a little patch of open water when it hit a tree. THe duck was impaled on a branch. He said it was dead when it hit the tree, and he was right. It had a limb through its body.

Anybody else have anything happen to them?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:50 pm

that duck musta been moving pretty fast to get impaled like that.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:00 pm

ooooo, last weekend I was walking a slough with my dad and my cousin it was by a house and a rooster got up and flew toward the house so we couldn't shoot then I coutinued walking and my cousin was saying the rooster hit the house, and I looked up the and I thought I seen it run over the hill. So we drove up there and my cousin got out and the pheasant was laying right by the house deader the a doornail.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:08 am

wow that is some crazy stuff mallard and ks_
man nothign cool liek that happends to me :thumbsdown:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:01 am

We used to hunt a place we call the Bermuda Triangle. Just about every duck we downed would disappear. It was a small low spot in a field that when it rained would flood an area about 150 feet long by 40 feet wide. Those birds should have been easy to find. We quit hunting the place because we didn't have a dog at that time and we got tired of losing birds.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:08 am

I shot a duck one morning and it pulled its head back and started flying strait up into the sky. He flew way up there, then must have ran out of air and fell right back down. It was pretty funny, the duck made a huge splash about 10 yards from the boat.

I am guessing the duck did this cause he was hit in the lungs and was trying to get air? It was pretty neat to see, he looked like a stunt plain...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:13 am

98ramtough reminded me of another one when he said the duck looks like a stunt plane.

I LOVE shooting teal when they come in from the side about 4 feet off the water hauling butt. When you shoot one they will skip across the water 3 or 4 times like a rock. :laughing:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:15 am

yeller- Yeah I love shooting teal. We call them speed balls, I have seen them skip a few times.

We shot one from out around 45 yards one day on a passhot and it must have glided a good 150 yards. The dog was all over it though.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:08 pm

Here's another one about teal. :yes:

We used to hunt a private club about 20 min. away from my house. It had a lake (about 40 square acres) with buck brush and dead timber. If you headed across to the opposite side from the ramp there was a small beaver run about 2.5' deep and 6 feet wide that snaked its way back though a bunch of grass and buck brush with 4" of water in it. After 300 yards of following this beaver run it opened up into a pothole that was a square acre in size. There was a floating blind directly to the left of where the beaver run ended with the right edge of the blind butting up to the run. Greenwing teal would fly down that beaver run about head high. Some would go up a little and fly a couple feet over the blind while the other part of the flock would keep on going right next to the right side of the blind and head level. 20 of those fast flyers coming down the chute would make you think somebody had launched missile at your head. Every time someone new went we would have them sit on the far right side of the blind. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Story

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:40 pm

2 years ago opening weekend, I watched some guys sky bust and cripple a teal. Thing flew towards the parking lot and made a small circle, then landed in the back of a Toyota Tacoma after skipping off of the roof. Game warden saw the whole thing. I had drops of blood on my truck from the teal flying over.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:44 pm

I have shot a couple deer that I WISH would have ran and jumped into the back of my truck........

:yes:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:15 pm

I once pulled up on a mallard that was decoying and my gun, for whatever reason didnt fire, I shucked the shell, looked up and the crazy thing flared over and towards the blind. This time my gun decided to work and the duck folded and came right through a 2' hole hitting my father-in-law in the leg. He was right next to me.
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:54 pm

Shot a snow goose one day about 20-25 yards up and it fell and got caught in the tree right above the blind. Had to climb up on top of the blind and reach up with a boat paddle and knock it down. That's about the only thing I can think of now, but I'm sure I'll have a good story by the end of season. :getdown: :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:24 pm

A friend and I were pheasant hunting one time and and we almost had our limit and my buddy shot one but crippled it, and it flew about another 35 yards so we went to look for it. His dogs didn't pick up the scent but we found it on a litle hill. My buddy kicked it up and it flew right at me. I hit it with the barrel of my gun, which knocked it down and it ran off and finally his dog grabbed it.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby vanvo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:51 pm

me and a friend today put out two robo duck in a corn filed caues there was a few dozen mallard on the pond besid eit. we decided to use our final approah blinds and i was talkin to him with my doors open when all of a sudden a flock of about 100 flared up six feet over us and neither of us saw them till one of the dukcs landed beside me. ofcurse a number of them didnt make it.
vanvo
hunter

Postby NESoDak » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:52 pm

Nother teal story. My brother and I were hunting on the edge of a slough and it was one of those days with no wind and teal coming in from every concievable angle. My brother stands up to shoot at one flock and a teal bounces into the crown of his ballcap. Did not actually hit him but peeled the ballcap off his head. They both shook thier heads at the same time and when my bro uttered an amazed $h!t while looking at the bird in the water, the bird uttered an amazed ggrrzzzzzt while looking at him. The bird flew off in fine shape about two seconds later. I couldn't take the shot out of pure amazement and the simple fact I had tears of laughter in my eyes.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:55 pm

Wow, I wish something cool would happen to me once in awhile. My best story i got currently is: opending day of pheasant season this year i shot a rooster (happend to be my 4th and limit in the 1st field of the day probably around 8:00 or 8:30 a.m.) at no more that 10 yards away. I watched this bird drop, marked it down, then walked over to get it. I got to where i dropped it and there was a pile of feathers but no bird. I called over our dog and he got on the scent trailed it about 30 yards or so then started digging in the CRP grass. I wondered what he was doing and walked over there looked all over on the ground and didnt see anything until i steped right in front of the dogs nose and felt the change in softness of the ground. i reached down to get it and it tried to take off again but the dog caught it held it till i got it and it was STILL ALIVE. I had to ring its neck to kill it but upon doing so realized that it had no tail feathers left. I know for a fact that when it got up and flew before i shot it it had some, but that is the toughest bird i have ever came upon. :laughing:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:52 pm

Here is another one. This happened last Sunday. We were trying to decoys some Canada Geese into a slough and we got a loner in and let him land. He landed on the ice were our decoys were and he fell through because the ice was thin, but the water wasn't deep so he could still walk. We were watching him for about 5-10min. and the cow kept walking towards us while we were laying down. They got about 8 feet away and just stared at us. Every once and a while they would jump and just stare some more. The we counted to 3 and my dad was going to scare the cows and he was going to let me and my cousin shoot the honker. He counted to 3 and we jumped up and let the goose get up and my cousin wanted to let it get out a little bit so we did and started shooting then all of a sudden I was out of shells and it was still flying away. It was sad that the goose got away. O well :oops: We ended up shooting 2 other geese, and we had fun.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby 20gauge24 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:35 pm

i went phesant hunting today and got an albino hen it was legal though i won a seson pass for it
The worst duck hunt is the best day of work.
20gauge24
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:45 pm

had a flock of 6 or so canadas coming in and i get up, take 1 shot and 2 geese came out. Was pretty cool.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole