Duck Refuge

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Duck Refuge

Postby Hunten E Guy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:37 pm

My Father and I use to go on a Certain Lake, Untill it was created into a duck refuge. Now we were mad at first, it provided awsome duck hunting, and not may other hunters either. We follow the rules though and stayed off of it. Needless to say the next year, we could see dozens of rafts of many different types of ducks only none would leave the lake. We still sat quiet, the state does need resting areas for the ducks, but oneday we heard shooting from the lake, and it turns out a piece of the land is on a indian reservtion. What this meant was that only native americans could go and hunt this duck refuge. We were rather upset, that we were not alowed to go and hunt there, but others could. One day we went out on the lake to talk to one of the Native Americans Hunting it, and the site we saw made us cringe, They are alowwed to shoot 25 birds a piece, and on this refuge, there could easily shoot their limit, so many of the bird had never even been shot at before. A dad had brought his son out there and there was a pile of dead waterfowl in their boat. Not a few, dozens of ducks pilled ontop of each other. When we questioned the DNR, they said that only Native americans could hunt it, and only a Reservation officer could check their limits. Now it may just be us, but does anyone else think that not only being completey unfair, it is just wrong for anyone to be able to take so many ducks on what is called a "Refuge"??? Since then the hunting has become horrible, and it use to e one of the best waterfowl areas in minnesota. We tried to have the DNR either give us back the rights to hunt it, or take away everyones rights to hunt it, but they didnt even seem interested with the facts we gave them. To make things worse, the DNR is planing on planting a ton of wild rice in the lake for the natives to harvest. It will become a duck haven for the area, and the only ones who can hunt it are the ones who can shoot 25 birds!!!!! Please reply, i am very interested about what other people think about this
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:10 am

Indian rules is indian rules, not much that white men can do about it. As long as they are not breaking any laws....more power to em. Research the Native American history a little...you'll understand the "why's" and "howcomes". Y'all have a nice day!

:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:33 pm

I guess I understand about the indians being able to hunt it. That's reasonable, but 25 Ducks!!!! That's ****ing crazy!!! I don't care who you are or where you live, In my opinion you should only be allowed to kill the same number of birds as every one else. Whoever set the limit for them needs to have their head checked! I can't believe someone would let them do that. No wonder the duck population is declining, we've got a bunch of idiots makin the rules.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:12 pm

I don't agree with the rules on native hunting here either but I also don't agree with the if its alright for them then its alright for me group. Game laws were made to protect animal species not to allow select groups more freedom to exploit them. Natives here can and do hunt game all year long and Our DNR has been hand cuffed when it comes to dealing with infractions such as jacking, shooting from vehicles, uncased firearms in vehicles, etc... when it comes to the First Nations status peoples. Laws need to change with the times not regress because of some old treaties that were signed by long since dead men in a time in which they fit. We as hunters also need to do our part and obey the laws and help the DNR by reporting wild life infractions if we see or know of them. By the way one of my grand children is over 1/3 native blood just so you know I'm not anti native.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm not anti native either. I just don't agree with the hunting regulations that have been made for them.

I agree, we all need to do our part to help the DNR. I sure do. On my deer lease I have a bad problem with people spot lighting. For example, yesterday morning, My dad and I went hunting for the muzzleloader opener and were driving through one of the fields and I saw something odd looking about 50 yds. away. I pulled up to find a 4pt buck that someone had shot the nite before and left in the field. It really ticks me off.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby had » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:07 pm

greg said,
Game laws were made to protect animal species not to allow select groups more freedom to exploit them.

i agree. the indian tribe here has its own rules but they are simalar to the states. and we can hunt on their land for a fee. 25 ducks :eek: thats just bad for the ducks.

had
had
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:38 pm

Yea that is bad for the ducks. I mean 25 ducks is a four man limit down here. So for the indians a four man limit would be 100 ducks. If that many ducks were killed at that refuge alone every single day it would devestate the waterfowl population. This has never been brought to my attention before but now since hearing about it I think it is a serious problem that should be looked in to. But I guess there's nothing we can do about it. After all the ducks are gone someone will finally realize the mistake they made and it will be too late.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:39 am

I'd like to point out also that it is not all Native Americans who exploit game because of their status and the laws, as in all cases it is an ignorant few that make things bad for the rest. When we read the histories of our Great Nations we can understand more of the whys and how comes of some of our laws today. The point being "no one" in the United States or in Canada needs to poach or harvest game in access to survive. The claims of the Natives that they were and are the guardians of the land and that they are conservationists may be true to some but when the Plains Indians( 30 to 60 per tribal group) herded hundreds of bison over bluffs was that the act of conservatism or of survial for the Natives? Did all the bison get used and preserved before it spoiled? Were the Natives conservationests or was it that they did not have the means to really exploit nature until the White Man provided it for them. These are only some points to ponder.
And as for there is nothing we can do about it that is an easy cop out for any one who just wants to whine. To you I say have some cheese and enjoy your whine or write to the Native counsels and the law makers to see if they might be enlightend enough to come out of the past and forage onward into the future. We all live in this great land so lets do it together not in little narrow minded groups.

May God Direct Us into the future and may We be humble enough to follow.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Last edited by Greg Wile on Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby duckbuster808 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:35 am

Populations are already on the incline so why 25 birds?! thats just ****ing dumb as H***!!!!
duckbuster808
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:46 pm

From what Ive seen...not many natives actually hunt, let alone ducks. I'm surprised that there is a limit at all for native duck hunters. I say "MORE POWER TO EM!" If 25 birds is the set limit...SO BE IT. I have no problem with an ethical hunter practicing good sportsmanship. I'M 100% SURE that more ducks are killed by outlaw and thrill kill hunters than by natives with a 25 bird limit. Maybe the Government feels that granting a liberall limit will almost make up for stealing thier land and slaughtering the masses. Just my opinion. Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:01 pm

pretty bold statement above....

With that said- I have also seen VERY few natives that hunt birds. Around here the grouse are so thick on the reservation roads you can run them over, same with turkeys. Most natives around here worry more about salmon, steelhead, deer and elk.

edited-Mike
Last edited by 98ramtough on Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Hunten E Guy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:13 pm

I am sorry if this post came off as sounding like it was the native americans i was blaiming, that was not what i was trying to say, if that s their limit then they should be alowed to hunt that many, i just feel it is a large amount of ducks, and if something is going to be classified as a duck refuge, then it should truly be a spot for the birds to rest, and we have talked to dnr and tribe officiles, but in the end it is the politics, and not the hunting that both groups feel is more important. Once again i am not trying to offend anyone or push blaim on anyone, i thought it was interesting and thought maybe other people would like to know too
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:35 pm

ok really ducks aren't that good to eat
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:35 pm

Hmmmmm. :umm: i think i'd have to take bits from everyone here and say that its ok for them to hunt them and not others, but also that 25 per person is ridiculous. Plus the ducks will be smart in a year or two and quit going there. and no offense to anyone out there and i remind you all that the following is a JOKE:... honestly how many can you get with a bow and arrow?..... alright it ruined it that i put that stuff before the joke but i dont want anyone mad at me.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:41 pm

:toofunny: :toofunny:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby quack_attack » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:04 pm

Personally I think that the government should stop giving special treatment to Native Americans. They have had how many years to get their stuff together? As long as there is this preferential treatment they are never going to. Before you all jump my case, I understand there is exceptions, I come from Native American descent, but dont live on the res. or take any handouts the gov gives, it pisses me off everytime I read about this kind of thing.
If God didn't want you to eat the animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
quack_attack
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:34 pm

waterfowl refuges can be a pain in the but cuz u think u have no where to hunt but if you do ur research and stuff i have found out that they produce some fo the best hunting around.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby yakima hunter » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:46 pm

where i live in washington we have a reservation and there are alot of draw backs when it comes to indians. Yes we took there land but in a poll taken in washington it showed that only a 1/4 of the population of the tribe lives on the reservation alot of them just take the benifits from it. I think hunting and fishing should be the same for all. Why can the indians be able to hunt animals and birds year round and we can not its a question of ethics. If we want wildlife to be able to stay around for our children we need to stop this.
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:40 pm

Not to get anybody mad but if they are doing everything all wrong why are their reservations overrun with game? Every res I've been on has game animals in abundance. #2 it their property-with their goverment, and their ways if someone from one of the anti-groups does'nt like your bag limits or methods of hunting are you going to stop? If the antihunters ever get ahold of our goverment I hope to hell that someone is there to stand up for our rights and say we can do our thing because thats the way it's always been. #3 I've lived near 2 differnt res in the past and I can't honestly say I knew even one native american that you could call a waterfowl hunter (not that there isn't a few out there) but not many I knew would even shoot at a duck or goose. IMO letem be. In response to the original problem of them being allowed to hunt it and you can't I guess thats the breaks it happens all the time for alot worse reasons around here, it's called land leases somebody pays someone a bunch of money to hunt some land and noboby else can hunt there anymore. Thats a travesty the game according to the law here belongs to the state not the guy with the most money to shell out.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Return to The Honey Hole