Sloughs!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Sloughs!

Postby BlueDuck » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:42 pm

This weekend Im going hunting on a big slough that doesnt have a tree around it and there are atleast 600 ducks on it everyday, please help me with some info. on how to go about hunting it.
Hammer Time!
BlueDuck
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:50 pm

When you do go, if the ducks are all already there. Then I would think twice before going out there. If there are a bunch of ducks out there and you go out there and scare them all off and put your decoys out etc... There's a good chance those ducks may not come back. If you can, you really need to try and go out there when the ducks are gone, or the majority of them are gone. I know this from experience, I went to my hole one morning and there were about 150 mallards sitting on it and I figured, what the heck, I'll just jump em out of here and set up real fast. So I did, and barely any ducks came back that day. I only killed 2. So try not to run all the ducks off. That's probly the worst thing you can do.
quackkiller
hunter

sloughs

Postby kilndux » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:52 pm

Spy on them birds and see where they prefer to sit. Note the wind direction. Set up there really early in the morning. Trow out 1 to 2 doz decoys and enjoy. Call as needed. Most importantly stay conceled. If at all possible, dont hunt with the sun in your face ( sometimes its inevitable). Good luck, what state you in?
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Postby BlueDuck » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:57 pm

Thanks for you input guys....i live in central texas...i go hunting quite a bit, ive just never really been anywhere where there isnt any cover. As far as when i set up, what do think i should do since i dont have a ground blind.
Hammer Time!
BlueDuck
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:46 pm

So is there any cover at all around this slough? Any crops around it? What about any brush in the water? Do you know how deep it is?

If all else fails, get some camo cloth material and just lay on the ground and cover up with it. My dad used to cover up with white sheets to hunt snow geese when it would snow. Worked like a charm.
quackkiller
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole