How are your waterfowl numbers?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

How are your waterfowl numbers?

Postby Chris_Hustad » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:16 pm

Lots of waterfowl migrating through North Dakota the past week, and I'm assuming we're not the only state with birds moving through.

I'm curious to hear what everyone is seeing for duck numbers. No need to give your exact area or honey hole, but which state would be great. Maybe this could be a good year for birds moving further south.

Eyes to the sky...
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:25 pm

There is plenty of ducks and geese around here. I found a spot that I am going to try to get on this weekend. There has been ducks on it 3 night from what I know. It would be great for a evening hunt.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:27 pm

theres a few moving late and early around here. tell us when they are coming!
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:28 pm

They have been comming more and more everyday. I am not sure there is many south of us.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:43 pm

Starting to see some mallards and gadwalls arriving little by little down here. Our openere is in 3 more weeks and with the weather forecasts I've been seeing, I'm confident we will have good numbers by opening day.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:59 pm

Nebraska Getting quite a few birds around here ,but scattered in groups won,t see any and then you'll be driving home and see a small pond literally covered in ducks lot of mallards and a few of everything mixed in. They are really hitting the feilds hard some just staying in the feilds all night. Jump shooting has been the best bet in the afternoons between 1 and 4 o'clock.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:41 pm

every cold spell it seems like the number of birds double here in ks it is begining to become worth spending the time setting out the dekes... can't wait for the weekend
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:43 pm

The birds are going to be moving this week really good because a cold front comming in. I am glad we don't have any school friday. :hammering:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 pm

yeah we don;t have school on thrusday and i plan on trying to get out i really wish it was 4 day weekend
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby saintsfan » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:17 am

I hunt in Southwest Louisiana and saw a couple of small flocks of ducks, nothing to get excited about but hopefully this next cold front will push some ducks down. Saw some flocks of geese the past week.
saintsfan
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:40 am

Saw fair numbers of mallards, greys, and widgeon yesterday. North Mississippi Delta. Season opens the 26th. Y'all have a nice day!
:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:58 am

Its been a poor year for MN for the grrenheads-few of them around in the southern 1/2 of the state when compared to other years. Lots of geese though. And big push of geese happened Sunday night of EPP geese into Lac Qui Parle area out of the Oak Hammock area of MB.
There wasa good NW sat Pm throgh Sunday and I went out SUnday think Oboy new ducks should be in--NOT! I only sawa few small flocks of Geese, Redheads and Bluebills that were fresh. The Mallards are not even 10% of what is normal for this time of year IMO. A few Mallards moved into the northen 1/2 of MN though. Yesterday there was constant Tundura Swans migrating SE in the afternoon-the Swans are generally the last to migrate from the sloughs and only migrate when it freezes up.

Still no ice here-but that will be changing quick this week. Forcast for 18 degrees for a low on Friday here in southern MN, that means single digits for lows in MB and that'll push them down. My concern is if it'll push them so hard that they do a flyby and completely over fly MN, I've seen it happen before too mnay times :thumbsdown: We have 2 weeks left of the season so we should be able to hunt the whole season over water up here in MN, last year by this time most sloughs and small lakes were froze over.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:59 am

Flushed about 2,000 mallards, gadwall, widgeon, pintail, spoonies and greenwing teal from in front of our blind last Saturday. Sunday we went to one of our spots in Oklahoma and all we saw were resident wood ducks. With the cold weather hitting us later this week we should have some more birds.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:03 am

A fair amount of ducks and geese moving through here...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby BlueDuck » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Numbers are pretty good here, got 30 ducks the first morning. Mostly bluebills and ringnecks.
Hammer Time!
BlueDuck
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:28 pm

I talked to a few in the Canadian provinces and it sounds like there's still a ton holding up north. They need a pile of snow or multiple days in a row with single digits with no wind to make it interesting.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:35 pm

not very many birds here yet. were getting a few.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phillipstd » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:20 pm

nothing thick in western wa, small amounts of geese, a few teal and widgeon, that's about it.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:39 pm

No flight ducks here yet, had some cacklers land in my spread Sunday but we can't touch them now.
Cobra
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:04 pm

wouldn't you know it. The first good cold front of the season this weekend and i wont even get to take full advantage of it. Oh well, ill still be hunting pheasant and quail so it should be worth it to me. Plus I might go out Sunday...
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:07 pm

Yep, I think we are going to get alot of birds here and some might leave, its going to get cold and we might get very little snow. You boys down south will see some action soon.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:01 pm

great in central texas we had shooting up to 11.
texan68
hunter

Postby tnduckhunter » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:36 am

I checked one of the DU/TWRA Refuges in Lauderdale Co. Yesterday and there must have been over 1,000 ducks there. Seen lots of Canadas and snows also. Been seeing lots of Canadas moving the last couple weeks.
I checked on my hunting hole about two weeks ago and seen a few mallards.
tnduckhunter
Newb

Postby vanvo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:41 pm

i live just south of toledo and we have any where from 1500 to 2500 geese at any time and as of to day abot 500 or more mallard stickin around which is very weird for here. in the pass two days we have been hittin the ducks hard becasue the geese are too smart to come in.
vanvo
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:19 am

The paper said that we had 110,000 snow geese on the refuge and 100,000 ducks and 4,000 canada geese. There is alot to hunt now :getdown: It is getting really good. I plan on going out all weekend.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole