2 Whooping Cranes Shot

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

2 Whooping Cranes Shot

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:59 pm

HUTCHINSON, Kan. Two of the world's small whooping crane population have been found injured in Kansas.

The U-S Fish and Wildlife Service and the Kansas Department of Wildlife are trying to find out how the birds were injured. One has a broken wing, and the second had led a leg so badly injured it had to be amputated.

The endangered birds were found over the weekend by farmers in two different fields in south-central Kansas.

The Kansas State University Veterinary Medical Center says there's a good chance both birds will survive.

There are only about 500 whooping cranes in the world.

This story was just on Channel 10, both whooping cranes were shot, one had 4 pellets and the other had 11.

Got this from another site I am a member of. I heard about it, but here is the proof. If you don't know what you are shooting at don't pull the trigger.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:31 pm

Sounds like some of those people who will shoot whatever flies over them. I hope they catch the people who did it. I can't stand it when guys go out there and kill birds just for the heck of it. When people do stuff like that it makes us real hunters look bad.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:40 pm

Why would someone do that. :pissed:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:53 pm

i agree that is jsut useless and a waste
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:58 pm

:withstupid: Yellowlab said it perfectly (with the exception of a few gramatical errors). :hammering:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:59 pm

At least they will probly survive
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:50 am

Thrill killers...they give the antis more than enough ammo. One time I had to retrieve a swan for the game warden that someone had shot and left floating in the marsh. A swan....a crane....they look like ducks or geese to me :eek: Scary. Y'all have a nice day!
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:17 pm

One of the biggest reasons they were against the sandhill crane season was the accidental shooting of whoopers. They idiots made it a reality. I ahve seen both types of cranes, and I find it hard to believe that they don't know what it was unless they are freaking idiots.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:54 pm

I always wanted to see a dog retrieve a big swan or something, but would never shoot a damn whooping crane. People down here mistake trumpeter swans for snowgeese all the time.

Give me a break, if the bird is bigger than your damn dog don't shoot!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:23 am

ks & 98 are right. Up here in West PA guys were mistaking trumpeter swans for snow geese up @ Pymatuning. That's right - despite the size difference & the swans' all white wings, they were shooting. Who knows - lack of experience? Stupidity? Some folks are simply stone stupid. The "if it has wings - shoot it" mentality. May God help us; this will be plenty of ammo for the antis.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:21 am

Rumor has it that they caught the guys who shot them. There were 7 guys hunting sandhill cranes, and they accidentally shot the whoopers. I have seen both types of cranes, and I am still trying to figure out how they shot those birds. Like you guys said, it is the kill anything with wings mentality.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:24 am

You can actually shoot sandhill cranes down there? Up here you can't shoot any swans or cranes or anything. Seems like they would taste bad anyway. Fish eaters....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:37 am

Sandhill cranes are rather good eating I have been told. They hunt them in grain fields like you would ducks and geese. Really hard to decoy. Are we talkin about the same type of cranes? Sandhill cranes it in grain fields.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:39 am

KS-

I have never seen a sandhill crane. I just looked at a pic of one online and it said it ate minnows and stuff.. I believe ya though, I have never even seen one.

Those things look huge though, probably hard to bring down like a turkey...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:35 am

We took two Sandhill Cranes a couple of years ago on a duck hunt near Liverpool. They are BIG, and hard to bring down (especially with duck loads). Pretty good eatin...tasted like chicken :mrgreen: I'll try to post a couple of pics here...not sure if it'll worj though....if it doesn't work, you can check out my photo album.

[img]http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_page.php?pic_id=62

[/img]http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_page.php?pic_id=61
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:38 am

Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:40 am

HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:52 am

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports ... 151622.htm

This is the latest. One of the whooping cranes died. The guys said that they couldn't tell what the birds were in the early morning light, and fired into a flock of 3 whooping cranes, wounding 2. They though the birds would be okay after watching them fly off and continued hunting.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:09 pm

Wow! I know sometimes it may be hard, but ya gotta be sure of what you're shooting at.

The last number of Whooping Cranes I heard of was 500 or so still remaing. That article stated there may be only around 230 or so left.
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HENDU3270 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:35 pm

Ok, I finally figured out to post the pics of the Sandhill Cranes I was talking about earlier. Thanks 98Ramtough for the help.

HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:03 pm

I can't believe he shot at them and then he kept hunting. :thumbsdown:
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby had » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:31 pm

my dad was telling me that the penalty for those guys was like 100,000 grand and a year in jail. ok i know that sounds crazy but he herd it on the news.i'm sure that those are the max sentences. i haven't seen the artical yet so if anyone hears something like that or sees the article post up the link.

had
had
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:36 pm

the link is posted in this thread. I wrote it today, and it is the latest news so far.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby had » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:43 pm

oops thats it right there. thanks ks.

had
had
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:51 pm

sandhill cranes are legal game in tx.....you have to be an idiot to mistake a whopping crane for a goose
NS39340
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole