Pulling an all nighter.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Pulling an all nighter.

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Okay, there have to be some of you that can give me some advice. My new job asks that every once in a while I pull an overnight shift. 11pm-7am. That's not my thing at all, but I'm willing to oblige for the time being.
My question is. How in heck do I do it? I'm usually asleep through most of those hours! I've heard; "go to bed like usuall, but get up really early, then go to sleep again around 2 or 3pm." so I can sleep somewhat normally after I get off work, or "stay up as alte as you can the night before, then sleep as much as possible so you can stay up through the next day", then I can return to my normal schedule.
MY plan so far is to stay up till I can't take it, then try to sleep most of tomorrow, and a few hours on sat. morn after I get off work.
My girlfriend wants me around for her on saturday. I suppose that means awake :toofunny:
How would you do it?
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 pm

ok i worked graves for a year and this is how we did it on weekends... i dont know what your schedule is like so i cant tell you if it will work for you or not, but anyways...

got off work friday night/ saturday morning at like 7 am... stay up the rest of the day... go to bed normal time on saturday night... wake up at like 9 am sunday morning... dont go to bed until 7 am monday morning... wake up at like 4 monday afternoon and you are good to go for work again monday night....

like i said i dont know if it'll help you or not, but the trick is all nighters to go back and fourth...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby dukhnter7 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:55 pm

I've been on graveyards for 9 years now. I can give you a couple of tips. Get your self some "Simply Sleep". Take 2 of those when you go to bed and you will get 7-8 hours of very restful sleep. If you get tired at work, 2 extra strength excedrines with a coke. Excedrine has 65mg of caffienne per tablet. Not sure what you do for a living, but if you start getting tired, get up and move around. Get the blood going. For me, I'm usually up close to 24 hours my first night. I get up around 7 or 8 in the morning and maybe catch a nap in the afternoon and then I work from 8 til 0600. It's the second night that it usually catches up to me. Good luck. :salude:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:13 pm

When I have to get ready for the night shift I always go night fishin. I love to night fish so it always keep me awake. But bring a friend for safety reasons :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:14 pm

I pull all nighters all the time all depends how well the beers are going down.In all seriousness I worked graveyards for a few months, I actually enjoyed it, barely slept at all but I like the shift
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'm awake at this point...which isn't rare. I figure I'll sleep for 8+ hours when I finally can't stand it anymore tonite, nap for about two hours or more before I go to work, then sleep for 3-4 more after I get off of work and tough it out for the next day so I can return to s slightly normal schedule.
So I can see some of you are wondering what I do. Simply put, I work at a home for judicated youth. It's a simple way of saying that these boys in the home are placed there by the state for a myriad of reasons. Some have mental health issues, some have criminal records, while others have both. During the day we are like parents to them. During the night we have to stay awake and check on them every half hour. This'll be my first night shift in many years. After I take a few of these shifts, I'm thinking about telling them to piss up a rope when it comes to night shifts. I don't make any more money for doing them.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:28 am

I know how you feel Trois beaux. Every now again I cover a midnight shift from 6p to 6a here at the hospital and its usually only one or two nights and then I'm back to my usual schedule.

My first night, say Friday, I just tought it out. I wake up at my usual time that morning and I try not to do anything too strenuous during the day. Then I pull my shift and go to bed about 630 am on Sat morning. Wake up about noon and do it all over again. When I get off the next morning I'll try to get a few hours of sleep, no more than 5, and I'll stay up the rest of the day and go to bed about 10 pm that evening and get up at 630 am to start my regular shift on Monday again. As you know the occasional all-nighter is the worst. I use the next week to get plenty of sleep. Its not the best plan but it works for me.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:37 am

If it were me and it was just every once in a while I would probably just suck it up and just miss a days worth of sleep. I am sure you have pulled all nighters sitting in a swamp to hold down a spot for an opening moring. It shouldn't be that tough if it is only once a month or something like that.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

all nighter

Postby BHUNTER » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:05 am

two words "combat naps"
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:40 am

goosecaller wrote:If it were me and it was just every once in a while I would probably just suck it up and just miss a days worth of sleep. I am sure you have pulled all nighters sitting in a swamp to hold down a spot for an opening moring. It shouldn't be that tough if it is only once a month or something like that.

Ditto. If it is just one day every now and then, try to suffer through with no sleep. This happens to me occasionally and I usually try to catch up with about 9 – 10 hours of sleep the next time I get the chance. And as my friend the surgeon says- Sleep is overrated.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:33 am

I dont know if you want to do this but alot of soldiers ive talked to either put tobasco in their eyes or eat the coffee packets that come in their MREs.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:51 am

Let me guess Gooseboy you eat sugar cubes huh?
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:52 am

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Let me guess Gooseboy you eat sugar cubes huh?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:46 am

Gooseboy wrote:I dont know if you want to do this but alot of soldiers ive talked to either put tobasco in their eyes or eat the coffee packets that come in their MREs.

mmmmkay. I don't have Meals Rejected by Ethiopia.

I did the shift fine, though it felt really awkward by the last three hours of it. Just kept moving through it, drank enough mountain dew to sink gooseboys duckboat.

Thanks again for all your help!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:06 am

Gooseboy wrote:
I dont know if you want to do this but alot of soldiers ive talked to either put tobasco in their eyes or eat the coffee packets that come in their MREs.

I am sure the kids in the Juvy center won't look at you weird if you are squirting tobasco sauce in your eyeballs!!!
maddiedog
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:23 am

Quote:
Gooseboy wrote:

I am sure the kids in the Juvy center won't look at you weird if you are squirting tobasco sauce in your eyeballs!!![quote][/quote]

LOL Only a matter of time!!!

No offense to anyone just if I am at war the last thing I am going to do is put tobasco in my eyes so I cant see the enemy. If you are that worried about the enemy you wont be sleeping anyway.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 am

My mom has worked that same shift at the same type of place for about 7 years now and while she had some trouble to start with she seems to be getting along fine now. What she did that really helped her was to put a black sheet over the window of her bedroom so that when she finally gets home from work and gets to bed her bedroom is dark just as if it were nighttime, she also lays down about about 7pm and sleeps for a couple of hours before she goes in. The nap before her shift has really seemed to help her get through the night. It also helps that when she is at home to sleep during the day there is nobody there and the house is nice and quiet.
Teach and the BUILD then build on what you TEACH. Baby steps, its all about baby steps.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:03 am

why why why would ANYONE put tobasco in their OWN EYES????? wanna stay awake? put tobasco in ur BUDDIES eyes!!!!!! he'll keep u up for quite a bit i bet!! :getdown:
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:05 am

:laughing: :laughing: :salude:
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:31 am

To bad I didn't find this post earlier. I work strange hours all the time. I'll work day shifts for weeks then have a night of 2am to noon or later. I try to keep the same sleep schedule and just tough through the nights. But I'm usually moving so its easier to stay awake. I managed a 46 out of 48 hr job 2 years ago. Then went to a christmas party. They said I acted more drunk when I walked in then after I had 2 beers.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole