Gobble this sucka

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Gobble this sucka

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:23 am

1-1/4" Spurs, 10-1/4" Beard, 23lbs 11 oz.

[siteimg]1613[/siteimg]
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:44 am

wow! Thats a nice bird hvac, season opens here april 30th. I can't wait...it will be my first time out for turkey and i'm hoping to shoot a bird just like that!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:55 am

Very nice turkey, I leave in 2 weeks to go chase some gobblers :thumbsup:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:29 pm

Nice Tom! Unfortunately I had to work the next day, so I settled for a Jake. 4" beard, 1/4" spurs, and probably 11 or 12 lbs. :laughing:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:20 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Nice Tom! Unfortunately I had to work the next day, so I settled for a Jake. 4" beard, 1/4" spurs, and probably 11 or 12 lbs. :laughing:

Hey Bud, Jakes eat even better!

Yeah MM77, I'm still tryin to top my first bird.......this is the closest I've gotten. The most important lesson I've learned turkey hunting; SHUT THE HELL UP! I knew where some birds were roosted, yelped at em twice and put the call away. 10 minutes later that fella tried to molest my hen decoy. If a gobbler cuts off your call put it away for at least 15 minutes. PATIENCE! Good luck.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:28 pm

Nice bird hvac, yea i'm with ya man, i can't stand it when your all set up and you here some idiot across the drain just yelpin his ass off. And yes patience is the key, don't know how many times that a bird just locked up on me and i just had to wait'm out.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Thats a nice lookin bird :salude:

Good job.
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:56 pm

I agree with you 100%. There used to be a time when you could call to the birds, and they either didn't mind it, or they actually enjoyed it, but as of late, the birds around here head the completely opposite direction when you start to call to them. My favorite technique right now is to put them to bed the night before, and hunt them the following morning relatively close to their roost. While it's still dark, I'll do a few anxious hen clucks (like their ready to fly down) followed with a couple of flaps with a "fly-down" wing. I'll do it 1 to 3 times, and it's almost a sure bet that they'll come flying right down when it gets just light enough. As soon as they fly down and hit the green field, I'll give it just a couple of real quiet purrs, and they usually come straight into my decoy. I'm not sure what you think about using a "jake" decoy, but I found more often than not, the turkeys have a harder time committing, so therefore, I only use 1 hen decoy. It's worked so well for me that I don't hunt as hard as I used to. But like you and LA said, it sucks real bad when you have some jackass calling to them on the roost over and over just to hear them "shock-gobble"! The problem with over-calling to them on the roost is that they think they have a real eager hen, and when they fly down (which is usually in the absolute opposite direction than you want) they expect you "the hen" to follow. Unlike most birds in the wild, Tom Turkeys want the hen to come to him. Now the Jakes on the other hand, they'll come in running. The Jake I shot on Friday was the first time I ever took a Jake. Our seasons are only 5 days long with a lottery drawing of 1 of 6 seasons, so with only 3 days to hunt because of my work schedule, I had to settle on a "skinny". I really wanted to get one for one of my fellow taxidermist friends in Alaska. Seeing how he'll probably never get a chance to shoot one there, I wanted to give him the skin so he'd have a specimen for his display room. Maybe next year? :salude:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Nice hvac. I need to head out to ky next year and have you guide me. I have been wanting to whack a dang gobler for a while, just lack the access to land.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Pete's got the right idea regarding calling........at least in my area. I'm kinda spoiled......we have several large flocks that get pressured by only a few guys. In my neck of the woods and I believe in most places east of the Mississippi, as long as you know where the birds are you should be able to harvest one.(On private land) My scouting consisted of literally the day before opening day. Turkeys are very easy to pattern. I set up where I believed the birds would be. Turns out there were at least 5 different Toms gobbling this particular block of woods. All I did was let them know where I was by doing just what Pete said, a little cluckin and purrin and put it away. The mistake I made in the past was that I couldnt sit still and shut up. Like I was afraid the Tom was going elsewhere. I couldnt help myself but to over call just to get that shock gobble. As long as your sure that they arent in there locked up with hens, call once or twice so they can get you on radar and put the calls away. You'll see that if your still and quite, NOT CALLING AT ALL, that big ole gobbler will start to think his girlfriend is gettin away and come a runnin in hot pursuit. I shot that bird and looked at my phone and it said 6:58a.m. I was on my couch and in my underware by 8. Thats my nickles worth on that.

Decoys are fun. I put out anything from none to as much as 5. This morning I had 2, one jake and one hen. That gobbler never paid a second thought to that jake. Right before he was about to mount her I let em have it. Now, I've seen dekes spook birds and I've seen birds kick the crap out of jake decoys. It's just another thing to bring to the woods. Just like ducks, turkeys will tell you all you want to know by how they react to what you are doing.

Josh, Louisville is a great town..........come around anytime, something is always in season(or swimmin)..................I'd be glad to take ya.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks alot for the tips guys! They will come in very handy since i'm a total newbie to turkey hunting. Now I have a total "greenhorn" question to ask. What exactly is the difference between a jake and a tom? I always thought they were the same thing. :oops:

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:52 pm

Jakes just a young bird.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 pm

Also most toms will have a red head while the jakes will tend to be blue.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2 tollers » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:07 pm

hvacfowler - that is a nice bird. Sure wish we had some of those up here.
:thumbsup:
Hugh
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 am

Good work, our season opens soon. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:54 pm

I am GREEN with envy. any way Havac thats one nice bird and good luck to the rest of you Turkeys hunting those big Toms :eek: I mean you turkey hunters :laughing: Any way good luck to you all :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:11 pm

Very nice one.

Good work!
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:34 am

Mallardman, the easiest way to tell a jake from a tom is by the fan. when a gobbler struts, look at his fan. If the two feathers in the middle stick up past all the other ones, more often than not you are looking at a jake. A toms fan will be even all the way around. this is not fullproof, but it usually works.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:11 am

very nice bird hvac! i sure wouldn't mind taking one like that!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole