What would you do?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

What would you do?

Postby choclab » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:12 pm

I was out fishing the other day with my dad when two dogs came running up to us growling and barking. When the female got too close and nippy to me, she got a rod up-side the head. I didn't beat her by no means, just let her know she is not welcome in "my bubble". I kinda blew the whole deal off, because I grew up around animals alot meaner than dogs on our ranch. Anyways, I went back to the same spot later in the week with my better half. She doesn't fish, but likes to walk around. It is on public land. I am in the water when I hear a couple of dogs bark. This huge Boxer comes running up to her with his scruff raised up and growling. She freezes and lets the dog approach. The dog sniffs her and starts to growl again. She tries to walk away but the Boxer blocks her. This went on for about 30 seconds (I am still trying to make it to her) when the owners of the dogs finally call him off. They watched the whole time! I was so pissed. This was totally aviodable, and will not happen again. If this would have happend during duck season, those lazy fat arses sitting on their deck, watching a girl get the crap scared out of her, would be picking up pieces of a Boxer....courtesy of some 3" Nitro Steele Magnum 12 gauge rounds. I am gonna talk to the owners and try and work it out. I have never put up with a mean dog threating me or a loved one. It's kind of a family thing, my grandfather was the same way. I whole heartedly believe this dog would have done something if the owners were not there.

How would you handle the situation???
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:22 pm

Im assuming you went with your daughter? If it was bieng aggresive to one of my family members i would hit it once for it to back off but if it bit one of my family members id go all out and just start punching and hitting it. Find a stick or something. Hell even a rod.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:31 pm

do you have any leash laws in washington? if so report their sorry butts to the cops... even if you dont, report it anyways... everything worked out fine for you except for a scare, but what if it starts growling at some kid who gets scared and tries to run away?
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Unfortuntely talking to the people will get you no where! People like that are oblivious to common sense. The first words out of their mouths will be, oh Im sorry, she is really a harmless dog, she would never bite anybody. We will try to keep her in.

Ya right! They don't control their dog because they are too stupid to realize that their dog might bite the hell out of someone. When I was a kid I had a paper route. These people had a britney spaniel named Reggie. I had a brintey so I wasn't scared of the dog. I pulled up and the owner and the dog were both in the front yard. The dog ran up and started sniffing my leg. I didn't think much of it, because that's what dogs do. Next thing you know the thing bites me and I yell ooooooooooouch! The owner says oh, don't worry about it he is just playing! The bite didn't leave any serious marks so there wasn't much I could do about it. Then the same dog bit my partner and the owner said the same thing. :hammering: :pissed:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 pm

If it growls at a kid.....it's a dead dog.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:44 pm

I know a kid who i think was in kindergarden (sp) when a doberman attacked him. Hurt him really bad hes only in like 2nd grade now, but the owners are wealthy so they paid alot and are paying for his college education to wherever he wants to go. Still no excuse for what happened. This is why i feel that races like pit bulls should be exterminated (sorry to any pitbull owners) after bieng chased by one you dont feel to good about them.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby roscoesbuddy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:36 pm

i don't know how i would handle the sitution but use a little common sense Gooseboy. dogs are a product of thier enviroment just because one pitbull chased you doesn't mean there shouldn't be any pitbulls. if a lab chased someone should all labs be done away with or if a gun kills someone should all guns be destoryed thats the same stupid logic the anti's use. and for the sitution with the dog i don't think you can say what you would do, every sitution is different, but you have every right to protect a loved one in danger.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:57 pm

First off, there are no mean labs and if you find one put it down because something is wrong with it. Second, if any dog attacks anyone I know its getting put down hard. Last thing it will see is a jhp.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:58 pm

Gooseboy Gooseboy Gooseboy, like roscoe already told you most dogs are a product of their environment, as much as I don't want to I do agree pitbulls are not exactly a breed I am fond of, although my brother-in-law owns 2, and they have 2 daughters, 3 and 1, those dogs are the biggest sissy couch dogs you have ever seen.It's almost like beind racist, a few bad apples ruin the bunch, I can tell you I have draw guns on more labs than pitbulls
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:39 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Gooseboy Gooseboy Gooseboy, like roscoe already told you most dogs are a product of their environment,

To the question at hand, next time it happens pull that pistol off your belt and take those people the collars off them dogs
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:49 pm

If you are in "their" territory, it is almost expected that they will check out who is there. That being said, the owners were wrong in that they should have called the dogs off right away. Is it worth shooting a dog just for growling at you? There is a difference between a 'who goes there' and a "I'm coming for you" growl/posture of a dog. Best to know the difference and not be indiscriminently shooting a dog for no real good reason. That is my opinion. :smile:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby 2 tollers » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:15 pm

chcolab - my experience in talking with these type of people is that they blow you off as if there is nothing wrong with their dog. I have a couple of public areas that I walk and have had problems with agressive dogs. Funny my knee is usually bad on those days so I have my walking stick with me. Get your better half a nice diamond willow walking stick it will be easier for her to get around.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:19 pm

2 tollers wrote:chcolab - my experience in talking with these type of people is that they blow you off as if there is nothing wrong with their dog. I have a couple of public areas that I walk and have had problems with agressive dogs. Funny my knee is usually bad on those days so I have my walking stick with me. Get your better half a nice diamond willow walking stick it will be easier for her to get around.

:toofunny: I think she might develope a "knee problem" too. You da man 2tollers.....way too funny :thumbsup:
choclab
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Hey i have a 110 pound pitbull and he would hurt anybody that threatens me but if they don't he is cool and basically just a big cow the only reasons pitbulls are mean are because bad owners and poor training :cool:
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:10 pm

Regardless of what kind of dog it is, if it is in what appears to be an "Attack" mode with me, then look out, because "Im" in the defense mode. I have never ever tolerated dogs that are agressive and mean towards people, or other dogs and have sent a few of them to an early departure. I would caution a quick response to the situation though, most dogs will bark and growl at strangers, but usually keep a safe distance. But if I had one trying to corner me in and continued to show agression and I thought it was going to attack, then I'd take the route of ISD and give the collar back to the owner.
hankrt
hunter

Postby NoMansLand » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Down here in ny niche of the woods, counties allow for if an animal is so much as harassing person or property it may be killed if it is not on its designated property.
We'll walk miles to hunt, but we won't walk across the street to vote? Go hunting Go farther to preserve it.
NoMansLand
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:39 am

I would not be happy
Last edited by kcduckslayer on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby marcbme » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 am

Put a can of pepper spray in your tackle box. A full-on blast in the face will change ANY dogs attitude quickly. No harm to the dog and the owners can't do anything about it. (unlike if you killed the mutt)
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

better not

Postby BHUNTER » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 am

i think that my answer is to much for this pg forum, so i will set here and steam a little bit then go to the next topic.
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby NoMansLand » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:00 pm

Pepper Spray is a joke, it doesn't affect a dogs eyes hardly at all, or the dogs determination. You have to shoot it up their nose to get a response. You would be better off carrying a small squirt bottle of vinegar.
We'll walk miles to hunt, but we won't walk across the street to vote? Go hunting Go farther to preserve it.
NoMansLand
hunter

Postby marcbme » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:36 pm

NoMansLand wrote:Pepper Spray is a joke, it doesn't affect a dogs eyes hardly at all, or the dogs determination. You have to shoot it up their nose to get a response. You would be better off carrying a small squirt bottle of vinegar.

LOLOL....untold numbers of griz have been stopped dead in their tracks in Yellowstone NP, Glasier NP, and other places in my state.

Garunteed, if it'll stop a griz, it'll stop a dog.

Opinions like that are not only ill informed, but could be dangerous if someone accually belived your "guess"
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:09 pm

My dad used to work in a shop that had a watch dog. It was kind of german shepard mix. I was about eight and it was an awesome dog. It would play like no tomorrow but it was still a watch dog. It was never aggresive toward me. It would always lick me and was really friendly. All of the guys would give it food at lunch and break time. It was his territory. One day the owner brought in his snot nosed little grandkid and he was teasing the dog with food in the break room. The dog snapped at him and started growling. The owner grabbed the dog and took him behind the shop and that was the last that I saw of the dog. Was it the dog's fault? I firmly believe it was the owners fault. Now as far as the dogs owner at the park they are idiots. Not the dogs. If my lab started barking at your kid and you shot it you would have some more problems!!! She wouldn't hurt a fly...well actually she does eat them...but she is very gentle. She just gets excited. Of course I would have been yelling at her right away and you wouldn't have had a problem. I would rather you shoot the owner than the dog. Anyways.....................
maddiedog
hunter

Postby choclab » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:21 pm

Comparing labs to boxers is apples and oranges. The dog was very aggresive and did so in a very threating manner. I don't give a damn about the owners. Some dogs are just plain mean. There are a few breeds of dogs that don't even get a second chance for me......it sucks, but I would rather be safe than sorry. They have two golden ret. that where aggresive too. I thinks the owners are doing something very wrong to have goldens aggresive too. Next time that Boxer shows aggresion to me.....he will die. I will shot him in the head and end his life for being aggresive to me. I will then bring the blood stained collar to the owners and tell them they should watch what there animals do. I make it a point to keep my dogs under supervision at all times. When I am gone, they are in there crates. I have a fenced back yard that they go in. Just because you live in the country doesn't give you the right to let your damn animals run all over gods green earth. It sucks for the dog, but the owners will be to blame.
choclab
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:29 pm

I will say this, unless someone is doing some explaining if they bring me a bloody collar, they will have a serious issue. And it wont be with the cops. You know eventually everyones dog get lose every now and then stuff happens, but if you shoot my dog (my family member) because hes on your property, you havent seen the end of me. I live by you crap in my yard I will crap in yours.

There is always 2 sides to every story, yours just better be a real good one
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:48 pm

I'de have had a word with the owners and tell them that is total BS. I do not like pitbulls b/c i have not felt comfterable around them. Some girl died by being attacted by one earlier this year in Oklahoma. I wouldn't complain if they banned pitbulls in the town i live in.
"keep pissin i'm reloadin!"
vikingsfan
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole