The Floating Marshes of Louisiana- USGS Video

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: The Floating Marshes of Louisiana- USGS Video

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Bump...for Bill
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Montanafowler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Montanafowler wrote:realistically, how screwed are you if you punch through? would it be like getting stuck under a sheet of ice? :eek:

it varies from marsh to marsh....but at our cousin's lease, you punch through and there is no hard bottom for 8-9 feet-just decaying plant silt that is a soupy mess. It's a PITA trying to get back on top if you punch through.

well now that makes a guy wonder how many bodies are stuck under those things!

I know of two retrievers for sure that lost their lives to the floatant marsh. One hit a Nutria hole running on relatively hard marsh and went head first down and up under a wax myrtle root ball. no way for him to get air or see where to swim to. another went under on a water hyacinth covered island and never came up.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:31 pm

BTW...I will take a "plug" dog (one that is slow and methodical) on the floatant marsh over one that runs full bore on every retrieve-the methodical dog has a much higher chance of living on the floatant marsh...he does not disturb the marsh as much as one the runs on it.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Don't recall specifically where but I want to say OWB (Oakwood Bottoms) I got into some floaty stuff that had a crust and if you punched through...OMG. I punched through and for some reason decided to just lay down and go with the flow. I was face down on top but if I tried to change anything was sinking fast. I layed there a minute thinking and decided to try backstroking. Flipped over and pulled myself out on my back. I had to find poles and go back for the shotgun I abandoned in the struggle. :lol3:

We get some weird stuff too. I hardly would compare it to Louisiana but it sure sounds familiar listening to you guys talk about floatant marshes. You duck hunt long enough and eventually you will find something like they have described. Careful...
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:we have few floating marshes that jr and I hunt. I have broken through and gone to my armpits, the water under is silty and thick and is like grease when you are trying to get out. takes a bit of patience and a lot of work to get out, there has been times I have gone in where a muskrat had weakend the flotant that I am not sure I could get out wthout my gun to use as a bit of an aid

I did not know there was floatant marsh in michigan.

A majority of the shallow water marshes and some ponds we hunt are floatant, very common in MI.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:we have few floating marshes that jr and I hunt. I have broken through and gone to my armpits, the water under is silty and thick and is like grease when you are trying to get out. takes a bit of patience and a lot of work to get out, there has been times I have gone in where a muskrat had weakend the flotant that I am not sure I could get out wthout my gun to use as a bit of an aid

A majority of the shallow water marshes and some ponds we hunt are floatant, very common in MI.

What kind of rice do y'all grow up in Michigan? :lol3:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm

aunt betty wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Wild rice
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 pm

aunt betty wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Not sure I follow, AB.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Always better to lead woody
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 pm

jehler wrote:Always better to lead woody

:lol3:

But seriously, what does rice have to do with floating marsh?
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole