Lobsters have rights

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Lobsters have rights

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:10 pm

ROME (April 28) - An Italian restaurant was fined 688 euros, or $855, for displaying live lobsters on ice to attract patrons, in an innovative application of an anti-cruelty law usually affecting to household pets.

A court in the northeastern city of Vicenza ruled the display was a form of abuse dooming the crustaceans to a slow death by suffocation.

"We're appealing," said Giuseppe Scalesia, who runs La Conchiglia D'Oro, or "Golden Shell," restaurant along with his brother Camillo.

"They said that the lobsters, laying on the ice, suffer... They compared them in court to other animals, like cats and dogs."

The case was brought by Gianpaolo Cecchetto, a former environmental activist, who took his two young children to the Vicenza restaurant in May 2002.

"They were shocked by the display," Cecchetto told Reuters, adding he immediately got in touch with the ENPA national animal protection entity. "ENPA took care of the lawyers and legal proceedings."

Italy has some of the world's toughest animal rights laws. The city of Rome in October banned goldfish bowls, seen as cruel, while Turin passed a law last year that would fine dog owners 500 euros unless they walked their canine friends at least three times a day.

I beleive Lobsters should be right too, on the right side of my plate, with the Potatoes on the left and the beans in the middle :yes:

Damned idiots in Europe, it is this thinking that started PETA, eta ll here in the US. :thumbsdown:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:17 pm

Chucking lobsters shortly in the frezzer (or on ice) is the cleanest way to kill'em. They dont take long at all. Chucking them in fresh water is silly because they go spastic and throwing them straight into boiling waters just crazy also unless you like boiling water flying everywhere. Damn PETA, next bacteria will have rights also.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:39 pm

i once kept a couple of live lobsters in the fridge overnight for consumption at a superbowl party the next day....they were still kickin' i dropped them in the pot the next day.

silly europeans...lol
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:42 pm

for all they know, the lobsters might like to be on ice.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:06 pm

A lobster is one step up from a bug. Tasty bugs from the sea that is.
Man everywhere I go, and who I talk to today...has been all about food.
Puddlejumper and his homemade cornbread to MM77 and I talking about wild game...stop it. Now I want lobster and crablegs with wild bore bacon.
Last edited by Snaph on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Heck during Colonial times lobster was considered poor mans food.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:54 pm

Gooseboy wrote:Heck during Colonial times lobster was considered poor mans food.

It is around some parts here too. Chuck'em to the dogs as far as I'm concerned. They're far to rich in taste for me.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon May 01, 2006 7:34 am

Fishing for lobster was once considered work for those who couldn't get a real job.That too was in colonial times.Maine lobster was used for bait,fertilizer,hog feed and not much else.No one ate lobster(or at least admit it)until rather recently.
Now lobstering is major bucks.
Funny how things turn around.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mikeyschk518 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:43 pm

at least you all on the east coast...mostly new england(where i used to reside for many years) can buy lobster for dirt cheap!!!! out here in washington state........i start twitching everytime i see the prices for them. considering where i'm located and what the tasty morsel is, and where it's coming from....(maine) it's not too bad of a price....10.99 a pound. but i'm used to paying anywhere from 4-6 dollars a pound...OR FREE!!! :eek: one of these days i'll just have to suck it up and buy one out here just to get it out of my system :mrgreen: by the way.......HI DADDY!!!! :getdown:
GUNS CAUSE CRIME LIKE A SPOON MADE ROSIE ODONNEL FAT...

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, HUSBANDS COMING HOME EARLY DO!.....

IF YOU DON'T STAND UP AND SPEAK UP, THEN YOU HAVE TO SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP.
mikeyschk518
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu May 04, 2006 3:17 am

kiwismakebetterhunters wrote:
Gooseboy wrote:Heck during Colonial times lobster was considered poor mans food.

It is around some parts here too. Chuck'em to the dogs as far as I'm concerned. They're far to rich in taste for me.

Instead of chucking them to the dogs.....you could just ship them to me....want my addy?.... :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Thu May 04, 2006 8:33 am

I don't know what all the fuss is about, i have never tried lobster. I would like to but i am alergic to shell fish. I took a bite of a crab once, its a good thing i didn't like it, my face got red a puffy and my throte started swelling up. the doc said if i would have eaten more i would have been in some trouble.
BurnZ
hunter

LOBSTERS HAVE RIGHTS

Postby scott m ward » Thu May 04, 2006 8:41 am

Lobsters have rights!!! At least if you place them on the left side of the plate :toofunny: their rights generally consist of melted butter or a garlic/wine sauce and a loaded baked potato :thumbsup:
S-
You did a great job with this coot sandwich! Tastes almost as good as your sliced shoveler loaf!
scott m ward
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu May 04, 2006 9:40 am

THOSE ARE SOME GOOD RIGHTS!
:withstupid:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole