Pit blind comfort

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Pit blind comfort

Postby Peake » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:42 pm

I'm new to hunting and was curious about this: a hunting spot near me has installed blinds that are basically concrete barrels about 5' deep (the bottom couple of inches are putrid water). Do any of you hunt out of this type of blind, and if so, do you spend the entire day standing, or is there a good way to be able to sit and still see out?
Peake
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:55 am

I have never hunted out of a blind like that. I have seen them and thought they looked very uncomfortable. I can 't imagine how quickly the concrete would wick heat form you if you are touching it. And to your point spending time stooped over in a 5 foot hole for a 6'2" guy doesn’t make it sound any more attractive. And I wouldn't think too much about the putrid water at the bottom I am sure all the recycled coffee form previous hunters would have killed most things. :eek:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:29 pm

I have seen them on some hunting videos. THey don't look too comfortable but I do think you would be able to hide very well. I also think it would be alot cheaper than buying a pit. Seems like a good idea for someone who can't afford to get a pit. I'd rather have the little holes in the ground due to the fact the they are probably cheaper and I could have more of them so I could go to different spots, instead of blowing all my money on 1 pit. Just my opinion :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:06 pm

doesnt sound like too much fun to stand up all day in a 5' hole when your 6' or so, let alone having to smell stagnant water all day... just my opinion and $0.02 worth.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole