Mud bugs

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: Mud bugs

Postby Indaswamp » Fri May 25, 2012 11:56 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Why do you pimp the John folse recipe so hard when you follow this one. I feel cheated

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri May 25, 2012 11:59 pm

BTW, you can add sausages or hot dogs to the boil if you want them...I like adding fresh green onion sausage and letting the boil cook it. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 26, 2012 12:07 am

Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Why do you pimp the John folse recipe so hard when you follow this one. I feel cheated

worst boiled shrimp I've ever eaten was in Dallas Texas. The only thing they added to the 50 gallon pot was 10 bay leaves...no salt, no cayenne, no nothin..... :rolleyes: :no: I cooked a jambalaya for the reception so I peeled a bunch of the shrimp and blackened them in the parking lot! :lol3: a line started forming.... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: the caterer was pissed!! :biggrin: :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

worst boiled shrimp I've ever eaten was in Dallas Texas. The only thing they added to the 50 gallon pot was 10 bay leaves...no salt, no cayenne, no nothin..... :rolleyes: :no: I cooked a jambalaya for the reception so I peeled a bunch of the shrimp and blackened them in the parking lot! :lol3: a line started forming.... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: the caterer was pissed!! :biggrin: :beer:

I can see that! Loved the shrimp boils we did in Alabama, Awesome and they are magnets for the girls.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby MontanaMatt » Sat May 26, 2012 3:10 am

Good God you dudes are makin me hungry. After 3 am here and I want me some shrimp boil real bad right now. I know what I am eating for my Memorial Day meal. Several bottles of wine will make that perfect. Thanks for the incentive.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Mud bugs

Postby assateague » Sat May 26, 2012 6:50 am

I can't believe you guys boil crabs :no:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby archerykid13 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:41 am

I might have to try some crawfish when I go down to Louisiana for my campus tour at LSU.

Jake
archerykid13
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat May 26, 2012 10:40 am

That recipe sounds good swamp Ill have to try that out :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 26, 2012 10:57 am

assateague wrote:I can't believe you guys boil crabs :no:

I was a fan of steamed crabs long before boiled, but don't know that I'd want to go back to it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Mud bugs

Postby La. Hunter » Sat May 26, 2012 11:13 am

We are putting a little over 100 pounds of crawfish on to boil in a couple of hours. I'll try to remember to take some pictures for all you yanks. :)
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 26, 2012 11:21 am

La. Hunter wrote:We are putting a little over 100 pounds of crawfish on to boil in a couple of hours. I'll try to remember to take some pictures for all you yanks. :)

:yes: :yes: :yes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Cujo1 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

La. Hunter wrote:We are putting a little over 100 pounds of crawfish on to boil in a couple of hours. I'll try to remember to take some pictures for all you yanks. :)

Thank You very much! As stated before some things just don't happen in Southern Illinois! And if they do.......it came out of a frozen box :no:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 am

Rick Hall wrote:

I was a fan of steamed crabs long before boiled, but don't know that I'd want to go back to it.

Our Honorary Coonass has spoken. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If Yanks are squeemish about boiling the crabs live I recommend popping the shells and cleaning before boiling. :thumbsup: Beats bland steamed crabs any day!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Madmooner » Sat May 26, 2012 11:51 am

Pop often traveled to the gulf coast area for work while I was growing up. In the summers my brother and I would tag along. Some of my favorite memories are the foods we would eat, roast pork and flan in Miami, BBQ in south Alabama, fresh oysters, shrimp, and crawfish in lousianna.

We'd get a big ol sack of boiled crawfish right off the dock, a six pack of grape soda for us, beer for pops.

Good times.
Madmooner
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

If Yanks are squeemish about boiling the crabs live I recommend popping the shells and cleaning before boiling. :thumbsup: Beats bland steamed crabs any day!

They ain't squeamish, the sadistic bastages steam 'em so it takes 'em longer to die. That's the kind of cruel turn them what can't even shoot a pintail take. Makes a Southern boy thankful to be covered up in sprig that hover off the end of his barrel begging to be shot.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Duckcommander727 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Ole Rick is on a roll. :lol: :lol:
Nick Roehl wrote:Anymore of it on the open forum will result in a 2 week time out. You know the type you give to children when they won't listen.
Duckcommander727
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

They ain't squeamish, the sadistic bastages steam 'em so it takes 'em longer to die. That's the kind of cruel turn them what can't even shoot a pintail take. Makes a Southern boy thankful to be covered up in sprig that hover off the end of his barrel begging to be shot.

:lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat May 26, 2012 1:11 pm

jehler wrote:
Outdoor Gal wrote:We've caught two this spring crawling across our lawn. It was weird. We've never seen them here before. But two wouldn't even be much of an appetizer.

they wouldn't have escaped a pan at the jehler house lol!

Honestly, we're clueless when it comes to crawfish. lol. They were huge though, at least it seems so to me, about 6 inches long. We caught them, put them in a bucket and let the boys drop them in a nearby stream. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Sat May 26, 2012 1:57 pm

archerykid13 wrote:I might have to try some crawfish when I go down to Louisiana for my campus tour at LSU.

Jake

better hurry. Crawfish season is almost over.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Mud bugs

Postby flightstopper » Sat May 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:"Uncle Pan's Crawfish, Crab and Shrimp Boil Recipe"

My great Uncle Francis (Uncle Pan) lived in Pierre Part, Louisiana. He was a school teacher and then principle at the elementary school there. He knew EVERYONE in town. He taught the Landry gang on swamp people. This is about as authentic a boil recipe as it gets... :thumbsup:

(recipe is per 10 lbs. of crawfish or shrimp)
5 gallons of water
2 lbs. Salt
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
1 cup vinegar
20-25 bay leaves (fresher the better! we pick them off the bay tree in the yard)
(1) 12 oz. bottle Zataran's Liquid crab boil
3-4 spice bags Zataran's crab boil
6-8 lemons cut in half
10-12 onions cut in 1/2 top to root
6 whole pods of garlic cut in half (cut so each clove is in half)
12-18 small new potatoes (small bag)
4-6 ears of corn cut in half

bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat...boil for 20 minutes. Add new potatoes and boil additional 10 minutes. add crawfish and corn, bring to a rolling boil (start timing it when it reaches a boil) and boil for 5 minutes. turn fire off and let soak 15 minutes...check one bug for taste and if it ain't der yet-soak it som mo until it is spicy enough for you (another 5-10 minutes).

And der ya go....enjoy! :yes: :thumbsup:

Can you use the same pot of water multiple times or throw in more onion, garlic etc every time you put another 10lbs in the pot?
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Indawoods wrote:
archerykid13 wrote:I might have to try some crawfish when I go down to Louisiana for my campus tour at LSU.

Jake

That sucks! I don't go to Louisiana til November
archerykid13
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 26, 2012 7:55 pm

flightstopper wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:"Uncle Pan's Crawfish, Crab and Shrimp Boil Recipe"

My great Uncle Francis (Uncle Pan) lived in Pierre Part, Louisiana. He was a school teacher and then principle at the elementary school there. He knew EVERYONE in town. He taught the Landry gang on swamp people. This is about as authentic a boil recipe as it gets... :thumbsup:

(recipe is per 10 lbs. of crawfish or shrimp)
5 gallons of water
2 lbs. Salt
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
1 cup vinegar
20-25 bay leaves (fresher the better! we pick them off the bay tree in the yard)
(1) 12 oz. bottle Zataran's Liquid crab boil
3-4 spice bags Zataran's crab boil
6-8 lemons cut in half
10-12 onions cut in 1/2 top to root
6 whole pods of garlic cut in half (cut so each clove is in half)
12-18 small new potatoes (small bag)
4-6 ears of corn cut in half

bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat...boil for 20 minutes. Add new potatoes and boil additional 10 minutes. add crawfish and corn, bring to a rolling boil (start timing it when it reaches a boil) and boil for 5 minutes. turn fire off and let soak 15 minutes...check one bug for taste and if it ain't der yet-soak it som mo until it is spicy enough for you (another 5-10 minutes).

And der ya go....enjoy! :yes: :thumbsup:

Can you use the same pot of water multiple times or throw in more onion, garlic etc every time you put another 10lbs in the pot?

if you are going to do 20 lbs. just double the recipe and boil 'em all at once. You can do this for up to 50 lbs. for most crawfish boiling pots. once you start doing multiple batches, the adjustments can get interesting to make each batch just like the first. What usually happens is the first batch is a little mild and each batch after that gets more seasoned. We let the kids and women eat first and save the last batch for the guys. :thumbsup: and yes-we add more garlic and onions with each batch.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 pm

archerykid13 wrote:
Indawoods wrote:

Jake

That sucks! I don't go to Louisiana til November

you will not be able to get live crawfish in november (for a price you will be willing to pay anyways). You can get crawfish tails in an etoufee' though. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby archerykid13 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, I'll be going to college in either Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, or Mississippi. So I'll be able to try some crawfish sooner or later.

Jake
archerykid13
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 pm

MS, ARK or LA for duck hunting.

If you go to Bama I shall taunt you mercilessly and make you cry big boy tears. Disregard anything the bamtard ginger says.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole