Largemouth Bass . . .

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Largemouth Bass . . .

Postby jehler » Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 am

cannon wrote: We catch 'em in the river . . . We release 'em in the livewell.

out salmon fishing with a buddy, when jr was a bit younger

Jr: "what's this valve for here on the console?"

Buddy: "that's the wash down valve, if you turn it this way it fills the live well"

Jr: "oh, that's cool, our boats only have death wells"
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Re: Largemouth Bass . . .

Postby grizz18 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 am

Attachments
napoleon-i-caught-you-a-delicious-bass.jpg
napoleon-i-caught-you-a-delicious-bass.jpg (49.64 KiB) Viewed 589 times
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby cannon » Tue May 29, 2012 6:49 am

jehler wrote:Jr: "oh, that's cool, our boats only have death wells"

Words of wisdom from a young man who I can guarantee will never starve to death.

You should definitely encourage Jr. to move down south some day. He'd fit in a lot better down here. People whom are familiar with the actual origination of tablefare down here are heaped with awards and accolades. Newspapers typically print pictures and long write-ups about what great citizens they are. Granted, I'm sure he'd have to do a little adjusting to acclimate himself to the local vernacular, but once he masters the proper use of terms and phrases like "y'all" and "fixin' to", he'd be pegged for one of the locals within days.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 am

I never really eat bass cause I'm too lazy to clean them. Up until this thread I thought my uncle was the only person who fished for them just to eat them. He gave me a look of disgust when I set this fat beast free haha

Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:I never really eat bass cause I'm too lazy to clean them. Up until this thread I thought my uncle was the only person who fished for them just to eat them. He gave me a look of disgust when I set this fat beast free haha

I
Dude is that a Tornado behind you??? :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby lostpup » Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 am

Indaswamp wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:They all taste like fish anyways. Cannon, eat the ones you like.

This.

Once you batter 'em up and fry 'em up, its still gonna taste like fish. Crappie will always be my favorite. After that, its just fried fish to me. Bass, perch, cats. They all taste the same.

they don't all taste the same....and I've got a gar hole full of gar to prove you wrong!
Best fish batter ever-1 egg, 4 TBSPS prepared mustard, 1 TBSP. Louisiana hot sauce. mix good and let fish sit in it for 20 minutes, then batter in 2 cups flour, 2 cups Zataran's Crispy Southern fish fry, and 1 TBSP Cajun seasoning.

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

Only reason to put that much spice and seasoning on something is to cover up the bad taste it leaves in your mouth !
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Tue May 29, 2012 8:44 am

:hi:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 am

HNTFSH wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:I never really eat bass cause I'm too lazy to clean them. Up until this thread I thought my uncle was the only person who fished for them just to eat them. He gave me a look of disgust when I set this fat beast free haha

I
Dude is that a Tornado behind you??? :lol3:

Grandpa always said they bite best before a storm haha
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 am

HNTFSH wrote:Dude is that a Tornado behind you??? :lol3:

Some of you guys will believe anything.
It's obviously a Photoshop.
I found the original in his Photobucket account.

Last edited by tucker301 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tucker301
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 am

hahahhahahhahahahaahahhaah! How did you do that!?

and I actually thought the picture looked photoshopped when I looked at it later.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 am

cannon wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:They all taste like fish anyways. Cannon, eat the ones you like.

This.

Once you batter 'em up and fry 'em up, its still gonna taste like fish. Crappie will always be my favorite. After that, its just fried fish to me. Bass, perch, cats. They all taste the same.

they don't all taste the same....and I've got a gar hole full of gar to prove you wrong!
Best fish batter ever-1 egg, 4 TBSPS prepared mustard, 1 TBSP. Louisiana hot sauce. mix good and let fish sit in it for 20 minutes, then batter in 2 cups flour, 2 cups Zataran's Crispy Southern fish fry, and 1 TBSP Cajun seasoning.

I've eaten gar before. Quite good If the chef knows what he's doin. Probably wasn't a coincidence that the chef that prepped it was a full blown Cajun.

do a side by side comparison with any other fish and prepare it like the recipe above....then come tell me they all taste the same.

I do agree with you Cannon-properly prepared it is pretty good. About the only thing you can do with em is patties since you have to par-boil the meat.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 am

Taste all depends on the water quality. We irrigate through our pond to the tune of 1500 gallon per minute for over 90 days straight. It makes for remarkably clean tasting fish. River fish seem to taste more like muddy water. That's just the nature of the beast.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Rick Hall » Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
cannon wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

This.

I've eaten gar before. Quite good If the chef knows what he's doin. Probably wasn't a coincidence that the chef that prepped it was a full blown Cajun.

do a side by side comparison with any other fish and prepare it like the recipe above....then come tell me they all taste the same.

I do agree with you Cannon-properly prepared it is pretty good. About the only thing you can do with em is patties since you have to par-boil the meat.

I've only had what I thought pretty bad gar patties, but Sweet Chereaux makes a gar roast (just a big section of big gar) in white gravy that's been knock-me-over-with-a-feather-surprisingly good every time I've eaten it. Which isn't often, because neither idea of eating gar or the hassle of peeling them appeals to this old hillbilly when there are so many better tasting, easier to crack fish around.

When we fry fish, it's usually bluegill and/or chinquapin/shell-crackers with nothing but an egg and milk wash and Prego's or other lightly seasoned bread crumbs, so we can taste the fish.

(No bass for our table, thanks.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue May 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Nothing wrong with eating largemouth. There are ponds full of them all over the place. Why let 'em go to waste? :huh:

Indaswamp wrote:they don't all taste the same....and I've got a gar hole full of gar to prove you wrong!

I'll definitely give it a try. I'm hoping to do some bowfishing this weekend. Not sure what was meant by the gar comment, but gar (normally shortnose and occassionally a longnose for me) are good eating. One of my wife's favorites. Better than largemouth. Small grass carp are probably what I will be targetting for the frying pan, but I'll have a rod handy if I come across any schools of white bass which are also good eating.

I took your blackened recipe. Very good. Thanks. I have use it frequently on a wide variety of things from scallops to deer liver (yeah, I have a weird tastes). Unfortunately, I over cooked the liver because I had sliced it too thin when I put it in the freezer :sad: Blackened goose breasts :thumbsup:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed May 30, 2012 7:04 am

capt1972 wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Some of the better eating fish out there. :thumbsup:

compared to what? Every one I ever ate tasted like pond water.

I have had a few and they are not too bad... smallies on the other hand... at least those here in NH.... taste like dirt.

Only fish I constantly keep are catfish/bullhead but if a LM isn't in good shape (I use plastic worms like culprit or senko and sometimes they swallow it) I'll keep it. :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 am

1) Dave is obviously whithering away to nothingness.

2) Why do we never catch fish like that when you take me?

3) Thanks for the invite to dinner!!!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

whisperin' duck wrote:1) Dave is obviously whithering away to nothingness.

1) Since Dave got on the Meth, he's been dropping weight fairly effortlessly.

2) Because I don't take you to the spots that hold fish like that.

3) No problem! We're cookin' em at Dave's tonight. Don't bother calling . . . just show up and ring the bell 'bout 7:00.
cannon
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm

cannon wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:1) Dave is obviously whithering away to nothingness.

1) Since Dave got on the Meth, he's been dropping weight fairly effortlessly.

2) Because I don't take you to the spots that hold fish like that.

3) No problem! We're cookin' em at Dave's tonight. Don't bother calling . . . just show up and ring the bell 'bout 7:00.

Feelin' the love!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Wed May 30, 2012 5:54 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:

This.

They taste like all other fresh water fish, exactly like mud. Image
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Largemouth Bass . . .

Postby jehler » Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 pm

vincentpa wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

This.

all you mud guys, you need to come up north here where you an see bottom in 50' of water, yes fifty feet, not inches. I'll bet even the carp taste good, not tht I'm going to try....

Bass taste the same as bluegill, perch or crappie here
jehler

Largemouth Bass . . .

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 pm

jehler wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

This.

all you mud guys, you need to come up north here where you an see bottom in 50' of water, yes fifty feet, not inches. I'll bet even the carp taste good, not tht I'm going to try....

yeah - but with all the northerns, walleye, perch & gills, why waste time with bass?
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Largemouth Bass . . .

Postby jehler » Thu May 31, 2012 5:07 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
jehler wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

This.

yeah - but with all the northerns, walleye, perch & gills, why waste time with bass?

sometimes when we're spearing the bass are so big we mistake them for walleye...er...a, carp...
jehler

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 am

Hey Cannon-
Nice fishin'! Question for ya'..Did you catch your Bass in a place that has a sandy bottom, or a "muddy" tint to the water?

Just curious.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Hey Cannon-
Nice fishin'! Question for ya'..Did you catch your Bass in a place that has a sandy bottom, or a "muddy" tint to the water?

Just curious.

Yes, and yes. Commonly referred to as the kahuna-colored waters of the St. Francis River. She's always dirty.

Doesn't bother me a bit, but I'm neither a fish snob nor a food critic. We eats 'em and we likes 'em. Of course, I'm also a huge fan of the mud bug, and it makes me no difference whatsoever whether they've been cleaned and/or purged, so maybe I just don't have the delicate girly-buds that the yanks have.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu May 31, 2012 6:57 am

jehler wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:

This.

We have plenty of clear water down here. Even manage to have some renowned trout fishing.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole