3K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  18javelin 
#1 ·
. . . It's what's for dinner.

See less See more
#10 ·
capt1972 said:
goodkarmarising said:
Some of the better eating fish out there. :thumbsup:
compared to what? Every one I ever ate tasted like pond water.
that's why most folks I know say. I don't mind it. But there's better out there

#18 ·
capt1972 said:
goodkarmarising said:
The bigger they are, the worse they taste. They get pretty mealy.

It's a general rule here to practice catch and release here for bass. If we want to eat good fish, we keep walleyes between 18-24 inches. Bigger they get, the more the taste degrades.

#19 ·
ericrhaynes said:
capt1972 said:
goodkarmarising said:
The bigger they are, the worse they taste. They get pretty mealy.

It's a general rule here to practice catch and release here for bass. If we want to eat good fish, we keep walleyes between 18-24 inches. Bigger they get, the more the taste degrades.
Well, the St. Francis River was fresh outta walleyes today, and I have very limited experience with drinking pond water, so I'm not sure I could draw a fair comparison. As for the practice of catch & release, that's what we do, too. We catch 'em in the river . . . We release 'em in the livewell. I suppose I oughta try blackening some of that pond water & find out what the fuss is all about. :yes:

#22 ·
3legged_lab said:
They all taste like fish anyways. Cannon, eat the ones you like.
This.

Once you batter 'em up and fry 'em up, its still gonna taste like fish. Crappie will always be my favorite. After that, its just fried fish to me. Bass, perch, cats. They all taste the same.

#24 ·
MOhuntingGuy said:
3legged_lab said:
This.

Once you batter 'em up and fry 'em up, its still gonna taste like fish. Crappie will always be my favorite. After that, its just fried fish to me. Bass, perch, cats. They all taste the same.
they don't all taste the same....and I've got a gar hole full of gar to prove you wrong!
Best fish batter ever-1 egg, 4 TBSPS prepared mustard, 1 TBSP. Louisiana hot sauce. mix good and let fish sit in it for 20 minutes, then batter in 2 cups flour, 2 cups Zataran's Crispy Southern fish fry, and 1 TBSP Cajun seasoning.

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Indaswamp said:
MOhuntingGuy said:
3legged_lab said:
This.

they don't all taste the same....and I've got a gar hole full of gar to prove you wrong!
Best fish batter ever-1 egg, 4 TBSPS prepared mustard, 1 TBSP. Louisiana hot sauce. mix good and let fish sit in it for 20 minutes, then batter in 2 cups flour, 2 cups Zataran's Crispy Southern fish fry, and 1 TBSP Cajun seasoning.

You are welcome. :thumbsup:
I've eaten gar before. Quite good If the chef knows what he's doin. Probably wasn't a coincidence that the chef that prepped it was a full blown Cajun.

#26 ·
cannon said:
We catch 'em in the river . . . We release 'em in the livewell.
out salmon fishing with a buddy, when jr was a bit younger

Jr: "what's this valve for here on the console?"

Buddy: "that's the wash down valve, if you turn it this way it fills the live well"

Jr: "oh, that's cool, our boats only have death wells"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.