Excuses for missing

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Excuses for missing

Postby Snaph » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 pm

I missed a bunch of deer last year. I blamed my 7mm rifle, I blamed my scope for somehow being knocked out of place, or not being able to handle the "kick" of the gun. Well after sighting in yesterday (the weather was too nice to duck hunt) I have other things to blame. I put three shots within 4 inches of each other at 100 yards. So I guess there are other things to blame.

1. My hat must be wrong.
2. The ground could be at fault.
3. Clouds can pull a bullet off its trajectory.
4. My scope was set on "doe" instead of "buck".
5. My gloves don't match my coat.
6. PA deer know they are part of "the matrix" and can stop bullets like "Neo" in the movies.
7. My bullet froze to a stop in the cold air.
8. I bought the wrong boots.
9. PETA was useing will power to help the deer.
10. The deer use "lightsabers" to defect bullets like the Jedi knights do to lasers.

I wish I knew what the problem is. Cuz I have to get a deer early in the season so I can go back to duck hunting.
Snaph
hunter

Scope

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:47 am

Maybe target panic or adrenaline was your problem. I had it when I first started bow hunting. How soon after the deer appeared did you take the shot. I find hunting out of a ground blind that slowing the pace makes a better shot. Maybe you need to ease up and relax.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:34 am

My favorite is "the sun was in my eyes" I like to hunt the NW winds, but that means in the mroning I have sun in my eyes which makes for missed shots.

As for deer hunting.... how about the the "my glove was caught on my jacket" serious - I pushed a 12 pt buck within 50 yds of my Great Uncle about 20 years ago, I had jumped him on a drive, and was waiting for a bang-silence-nothing. A walked in the hoof prints in the snow to a clearing within 50 yds of my GU, I ask him-what happened, he says what you mean. I say, see where I am standing? Right here the buck stood here a was watching you. He says oh that must have been when the glove got caught on my jacket as I never saw him. Arghhhhh.... He had those ski style glove that you can hook them together with the little hook and loops. Well those little hooks cost him the chance to bag THE biggest buck I had or ever seen since. At least a 170 if not a 180 B&C score. And some of you are probably wondering why I did not shoot. I jumped it up on a hillside 40 yds away sloping away from me, I threw up my gun and it was gone after 1 jump down the hill out of view. My GU was only 200 yds further away. This was in dense cover. Oh well. BTW, we tracked that deer foe over 5 miles, never did get in front of him. He crossed 3 roads. We kept putting standers up at the next road up - but he kept slipping through the standers in the thick brush.... (for safety-it is illegal to shoot down or across a road here in MN). Man was I exhausted, 10" of snow, 20 for the high and tracking him all afternoon. Lesson learned, deer I think have the ability to uncanningly appear at the least opputune time... seems the ducks have taken the same lessons... peeing, pouring coffee, eating a sandwich, .....
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:39 am

Snafu: I agree; probably adrenaline. But also, don't discount the ground being @ fault. Isn't that why there are "ground fault interrupters"? :toofunny: If the ground is @ fault in electricity, then why can't it be @ fault when you're shooting? Sometimes when the ground rises to meet my feet, it causes me to trip & fall. :yes: The less we blame ourselves, the better we become, right? Right? :oops:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:06 am

when i shouldered my gun the thick coat threw my shot off. :toofunny:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:33 pm

Mark, I like your thinking. Yeah...I know it is me, but it is fun to blame everything else. When I shot at those deer last, I don't remember being excited. When I took the shot a doe that was standing still, crosshairs on the shoulder...squeeze...bang. I bought my rifle down thinking I had a dead deer. I could not believe my eyes to watch that thing run away. I was so sure I hit that thing, I spent two hours looking for blood and fur...nothing. It must be a curse. In 23 years of deer hunting (minus 4 spent in the Navy) I have tagged two doe. That is sad. I guess this explains my love of small game hunting, and now duck hunting.

Like I said I know it is me. I was just trying to have fun with it.
Maybe this year is my year. I don't care if it has antlers. I just want meat.
Deer sausage over an open campfire...mmmmmmmmmm.
Snaph
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:46 pm

I couldn't help it, but I shot too early I thought they were closer then they were.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:03 pm

Flock shooting when you have 1000 mallards circling the decoys in the field.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:02 am

You guys really miss? I hit everything. Sometimes it just bounces off or something because they dont allways fall down. HAHA
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby brdprey » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:01 am

THERES A SAFETY ON THIS THING.
:laughing:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:32 pm

I went out today and had to prove to myself that I could hit the broad side of a barn. Had to run off before the farmer got there. Still could not hit anything with wings on it though...

(And NO I did not really shoot at a barn or anything for that matter)[/i]
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:34 pm

Some days the only way I can hit the broad side of a barn is if I'm inside it. :eek: I was looking at antlers and not gun sights.I sneezed just as I sqeezed the trigger, I got something in my eye, That tree jumped in front of the bullet. Or as my hunting buddy tells me he always fires a warning shot so the game stands a chance. :yes:
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby twoscoots » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:23 pm

ok , check list. ....10 seconds to shooting time....
gun is loaded...
great spot because the birds are just pouring in on me...
3 seconds to shooting time, oh man oh man......
I'm gonna take the two drakes on the left first and then the big one on the far right....
OKKKKKKK ...jump to my feet and pull on the first bird as the entire area explodes with ducks rising into the air.....
pull the trigger and hear the "not familiar sound of the firing pin falling on a empty chamber????

what the h.........
I know I did'nt...
I did!!!!
What a stupid dumb a....
two in the mag and nothing,nothing in the chamber!
:withstupid:
II want to be in PETA ....people eating tasty animals, pass the gravy please!
twoscoots
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole