decoy spreads

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

which do you concentrate more on:

Poll ended at Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:32 am

the shape of your spread
75%
the number of decoys
25%
the position of drakes to hens within spread
No votes

Total votes : 20

decoy spreads

Postby patchief » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:32 am

just picking brains
Strength and Honor
patchief
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:17 pm

I'm gonna go with number of decoys. Where I hunt in the timber, I've got about a 4 acre hole and I've never seen more than 30-40 ducks on it at once. I always use no more than a dozen decoys here. Here's why, we hunted it for one of the first times and put out about 2 and half dozen decoys. The ducks didn't like it, would circle a few times and move on somewhere else. So we decided to go from 2 dozen to only 9 decoys. Now every bunch that came by would lock up and sail right into the dekes. They wouldn't work with all the decoys because it just didn't look natural on a small hole like that.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:47 pm

I like to think about how I should shape my spread because I want the ducks and geese right in front of me. I want them to come in right away too.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:40 am

number of dekes is my primary concern...I want to match the local flocks.....I do not "shape" or "pattern" my spread anyhow.....ever see a flock of blacks in a "j"????! NOT

seriously, there are some hunts, particularly in the afternoon, when I will only put out four blocks....other times I will have four dozen....depends on weather, wind, exact location and of course what amount of ducks are in the are

as for geese in a field....I set more of a pattern to get them to land on the 'x'.....again, number of decoys is important to me because if there are too many the geese may be suspect.....and I have done excellent with less than a dozen or even four if the local flock would indicate that as appropriate
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LOVEMYLABXS » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:32 am

I thought about this and picked the shape but would have picked other if it had been there.

I hunt a lot of small lakes and ponds and most are pack ins so normally around a dozen goose or duck deks is all I take in. Being that they are small ponds I don't worry to much about the shape but think about the wind more than anything. If I can I'd rather have the wind to my back so that the birds are coming into me which makes for a better bust them head on type shots, normally that first bird shot is DEAD so then you can consentrate on the second one plus with the wind at my back I don't get as cold as quick. Other than the warmth of the sun on me I'd rather have it behind me but there again I go with the wind direction first. Most time I guess you could say I put them in a "J" or a "U" but mostly using small numbers of deks I really seem to end up with a clump. With the idea of having the birds more or less coming straight in I do kind of set the spread a little to one side or the other but that's about it. With a set up like this the placement of hens and drake to each other don't really come in to play a lot, number of drakes and hens might if hunting early season and using more hens to look like eciples birds and maybe more drakes late but there again I only have the dozen so for me the number of hens and drake don't change.
He wags his tail, and the room looks as if a devastating army had marched through it.
LOVEMYLABXS
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole