SMOKING AGAIN

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby lancej » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:53 am

So, your post motivated me to smoke a couple of chickens. Unfortunately, all I had was oak. Oak does not produce good results in my opinion.

So, in classic DHC fashion, what is the best wood for smoking meat. If you also have a good source for that wood, and are willing to share, that would be cool too.

Lance
It is the shared experiences of companionship that make loss bearable.
RIP Orion, May where you are be full of Rabbits.

when you start explaining what you're seeing, you see what you've been looking at
User avatar
lancej
hunter
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: Mount Aukum, CA


Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Ship wood to California? Not economical.

I've used mesquite, hickory, and several fruit woods. I like apple and hickory.
If you are smoking pork, hickory is the choice. I use apple because it's free for me and I didn't have any hickory last week. Mesquite is way too strong for my wife and I. Have heard of using oak for smoking but...

I'm a carpenter and whenever I saw a piece of OAK it smells like burnt farts. NO WAY am I smoking w/oak.

Now for chicken. First of all when I smoke a chicken the texture just isn't right. Don't know how to describe the texture other than "gooie".

For smoking a chicken here's what I do. It took me lots of trial and error to discover.

Notice how my smoker has two chambers..one is the fire-box and the other side is for smoking.
I can put the grill in the fire-box and GRILL stuff. That's what I do for chicken. I grill it for about 15-20 minutes, turning it every 3-4. My wife likes the skin burnt a bit. (not THAT skin you perv)

Grill the chicken until it's almost done. Then move it to the smoker side. That's when I re-arrange the fire into a pile and stick some wood chips or a big chunk of apple-wood in. Let it smoke for an hour. You will love it.

Pm me if you have questions.
Last edited by aunt betty on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Someone told me NOT to wet wood before smoking. It makes steam and that is bad. There's another reason as well. Forget what it was. I used to dampen my smoking wood before cooking until someone taught me not to. Can't remember the details but I think whoever it was is correct.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby Weston81 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:06 pm

AB, if you have access to Pecan wood I highly reccommend it as well. I am a big fan of apple, hickory, and cherry too.
Weston81
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Wentzville, Mo

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:09 pm

I'll grab me some Pecan wood this duck season when I'm down in Arkansas. Pecan trees grow there and I've heard of people picking up the pecans. Last season was bad for that or I would have brought some nuts home w/me.
I'm pretty sure I'm too far north for that kind of wood. I'll try it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby Weston81 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Don't know the route you take down south but if you pass through on the St/ Louis area there are ACE hardware stores that sell bags of big ol logs/chunks of it. Reminds me a lot of hickory. Worth a shot if you get the chance. I want to try peach wood myself but don't have access to it.
Last edited by Weston81 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weston81
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Wentzville, Mo

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I have a really huge pork roast in the freezer. Plan on cooking it on July 4. I'll be needing to go buy some hickory chips this time. Hickory and Pork...Pork and Hickory. :drool:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Somebody I know will come down thru St. Louis.
I'll try and hittem up to stop and grab me some.
The real trick is keeping the guys at the club from burning any for recreational fires. Wood is wood to them.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I know where there's a peach tree but my mom would shoot me if I cut it.
She's been "nursing" it for years. Silly woman. You can't get peaches in Champaign. NO WAY.
I think it MIGHT have made a peach once. Better go check it this year because it's been so warm. lol
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:12 pm

colton341 wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
colton341 wrote:
DanJeffandJack wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:Should be good. :thumbsup: Going to the T-Bones game on Saturday(Kansas City's indpendent league baseball). Have a pork butt in a brine today, will start it in the morning, and finish while tailgating, along with tons of beer.

love tbones games.


My juco pitching coach played with the T-Bones for a short period. He said it was the greatest time of his life.

Who was that? The whole setup is cool with the T-Bones, NASCAR track across the road, Cabelas down the block, tons of restaurants, stores, and unfortunately D-bags if you get to close to The Legends. Always a good time.

Aunt Betty got me hungry for some wild game this morning, couldn't wait for the smoker, instead had a perfectly cookd deer burger, YUM!



Ty Reese, he played at Emporia and Butler CC, and coached me at Butler CC.

That is cool you played at Butler, I played a t Highland CC, many years ago.
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3441
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby lancej » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:54 pm

aunt betty wrote:Ship wood to California? Not economical.

I've used mesquite, hickory, and several fruit woods. I like apple and hickory.
If you are smoking pork, hickory is the choice. I use apple because it's free for me and I didn't have any hickory last week. Mesquite is way too strong for my wife and I. Have heard of using oak for smoking but...

I'm a carpenter and whenever I saw a piece of OAK it smells like burnt farts. NO WAY am I smoking w/oak.

Now for chicken. First of all when I smoke a chicken the texture just isn't right. Don't know how to describe the texture other than "gooie".

For smoking a chicken here's what I do. It took me lots of trial and error to discover.

Notice how my smoker has two chambers..one is the fire-box and the other side is for smoking.
I can put the grill in the fire-box and GRILL stuff. That's what I do for chicken. I grill it for about 15-20 minutes, turning it every 3-4. My wife likes the skin burnt a bit. (not THAT skin you perv)

Grill the chicken until it's almost done. Then move it to the smoker side. That's when I re-arrange the fire into a pile and stick some wood chips or a big chunk of apple-wood in. Let it smoke for an hour. You will love it.

Pm me if you have questions.



I'll try that. And I was wetting the wood, but if that's not right, then I'll skip that. My setup is pretty much the same as yours. Now I have to find a source of "good" wood. Lots of walnut in the area, hows that for smoking? I know I won't use Oak again. OK for grilling, since its a faster process, but no good for smoking.

Lance
It is the shared experiences of companionship that make loss bearable.
RIP Orion, May where you are be full of Rabbits.

when you start explaining what you're seeing, you see what you've been looking at
User avatar
lancej
hunter
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: Mount Aukum, CA

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby colton341 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 am

Jarbo03 wrote:
colton341 wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:
colton341 wrote:
DanJeffandJack wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:Should be good. :thumbsup: Going to the T-Bones game on Saturday(Kansas City's indpendent league baseball). Have a pork butt in a brine today, will start it in the morning, and finish while tailgating, along with tons of beer.

love tbones games.


My juco pitching coach played with the T-Bones for a short period. He said it was the greatest time of his life.

Who was that? The whole setup is cool with the T-Bones, NASCAR track across the road, Cabelas down the block, tons of restaurants, stores, and unfortunately D-bags if you get to close to The Legends. Always a good time.

Aunt Betty got me hungry for some wild game this morning, couldn't wait for the smoker, instead had a perfectly cookd deer burger, YUM!



Ty Reese, he played at Emporia and Butler CC, and coached me at Butler CC.

That is cool you played at Butler, I played a t Highland CC, many years ago.


Two fo the greatest years of my life. Met my best friend there and only spent a year and a half getting to know each other.
User avatar
colton341
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Stillwater, America

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Just finished putting the spice rub onto my 5.5 pound baby. (Pork loin roast)
Will be putting it into the smoker tomorrow morning about 7 AM and will let it smoke all day. Let it rest all night.
Will then pull it apart and put some sauce on it and let it stew in the oven for a couple hours on low heat before serving on the fourth.
I'm gunna smoke a bunch of brats and hot dogs during the day. It's going to be a fine barbeque on Wednesday.

Walnut? If you've ever smelled a green walnut that's just fell off the tree you might not think using it for smoking was too good an idea. Never heard of using walnut.

Have heard of hickory and pecan. Oak and walnut just don't sound right to me.
Pear is what I really want to try.
Last edited by aunt betty on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Our head cook/chef in the BBQ team just won this bad boy in a raffle. He bought 5 tickets for $100! :beer:

[url] http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/index.p ... &Itemid=87 .

[/url]
User avatar
grizz18
Squatch Life
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Cool. The design is kind of odd in that the firebox is inside the smoker.
The best smokers I've seen all had separate fire boxes.

Now that I think about why...imagine having to regularly tend a fire in that thing.
You'd lose a ton of heat just checking the fire.
Just noticed it has two doors. NVM.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm

aunt betty wrote:Cool. The design is kind of odd in that the firebox is inside the smoker.
The best smokers I've seen all had separate fire boxes.

Now that I think about why...imagine having to regularly tend a fire in that thing.
You'd lose a ton of heat just checking the fire.
Just noticed it has two doors. NVM.


I know nothing about them so you could very well be right. I did some research though, and there are several used in competitions, they have done very well in standings.
User avatar
grizz18
Squatch Life
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:51 pm

They use all different kinds of smokers at them competitions. Everything from "the green egg" to grills made out of old fire engines.

Some smokers are different like the one that uses chips of wood and you adjust the heat by the rate it drops the bits of wood.

The old smoke-houses had a separate fire-house so you didn't burn down the one with all your meat in it. I always thought that was the correct set-up. My grandparents had a smoke-house and I made a ham or two in it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:53 pm

aunt betty wrote:They use all different kinds of smokers at them competitions. Everything from "the green egg" to grills made out of old fire engines.

Some smokers are different like the one that uses chips of wood and you adjust the heat by the rate it drops the bits of wood.

The old smoke-houses had a separate fire-house so you didn't burn down the one with all your meat in it. I always thought that was the correct set-up. My grandparents had a smoke-house and I made a ham or two in it.


I feel like you're being a little modest with that number. :biggrin:
User avatar
grizz18
Squatch Life
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 am

Have had another big pork roast going since early today. It's almost done. Just got an advanced order for ice cream. There's stuff to make a gallon in the pantry...get busy she says. :yes:
My family is gunna love me tomorrow.

Thawing out some ducks for them to try. Will cook them tomorrow and surprise everybody with a taste of what I love doing the most. (Duck hunting)
The hot-pepper and cheese stuffed duck breasts are sounding good.

Any tips on making those would be appreciated.
I've cooked a lot of duck breasts but not stuffed.
I'm thinking about marinading with mixture of soy sauce and worcestershire. Maybe a little honey added.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm

lancej wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Ship wood to California? Not economical.

I've used mesquite, hickory, and several fruit woods. I like apple and hickory.
If you are smoking pork, hickory is the choice. I use apple because it's free for me and I didn't have any hickory last week. Mesquite is way too strong for my wife and I. Have heard of using oak for smoking but...

I'm a carpenter and whenever I saw a piece of OAK it smells like burnt farts. NO WAY am I smoking w/oak.

Now for chicken. First of all when I smoke a chicken the texture just isn't right. Don't know how to describe the texture other than "gooie".

For smoking a chicken here's what I do. It took me lots of trial and error to discover.

Notice how my smoker has two chambers..one is the fire-box and the other side is for smoking.
I can put the grill in the fire-box and GRILL stuff. That's what I do for chicken. I grill it for about 15-20 minutes, turning it every 3-4. My wife likes the skin burnt a bit. (not THAT skin you perv)

Grill the chicken until it's almost done. Then move it to the smoker side. That's when I re-arrange the fire into a pile and stick some wood chips or a big chunk of apple-wood in. Let it smoke for an hour. You will love it.

Pm me if you have questions.



I'll try that. And I was wetting the wood, but if that's not right, then I'll skip that. My setup is pretty much the same as yours. Now I have to find a source of "good" wood. Lots of walnut in the area, hows that for smoking? I know I won't use Oak again. OK for grilling, since its a faster process, but no good for smoking.

Lance

you can smoke with oak-but only for a short while (1.5 hours max) and then switch over to other wood or charcoal only to finish cooking.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58100
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Pork's cooked and ready to go. All I need to do is heat it and then pull it apart with forks.
Made a gallon of ice cream. Decided to try something different. Went to the store and got a couple of vanilla beans. Them little suckers ain't cheap.
Tried the ice cream after it hardened a bit and it was not a mistake getting them beans.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 pm

aunt betty wrote:Pork's cooked and ready to go. All I need to do is heat it and then pull it apart with forks.
Made a gallon of ice cream. Decided to try something different. Went to the store and got a couple of vanilla beans. Them little suckers ain't cheap.
Tried the ice cream after it hardened a bit and it was not a mistake getting them beans.

Them beans arent cheap for sure,but sure do make a big difference.I made up a batch of home made Vanilla and fresh Strawberry ice cream for tomorrow. :drool:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
User avatar
ColoradoGooser
hunter
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:25 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby CAber18 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:30 am

Butler CC in Texas or Oklahoma??
CAber18
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby flyfisher76544 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:07 am

I have always soaked wood chips with no issues. Steam isn't the issue since we put a pan of water or a canned beverage next to the fire box to produce moisture so that the meat doesn't dry out. Smoke some bacon (cold smoke) you'll thank me later when it is frying in the pan!!
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
User avatar
flyfisher76544
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Ludowici, Ga

Re: SMOKING AGAIN

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:45 am

I tried to find the "do your neighbors think your are weird?" thread but gave up and will use this one.

When you get up at just before 6am and start the fire for the smoker...they think you're a little weird. I don't care. Knowing the smells are torturing them is fun. Who cares what they think?

I'm working on a rack of pork spare ribs. They been going since 6 and it's 10:45. By the time the second round of football games get going I'll be eating ribs, fried okra, and red potatoes with garlic, onions, and margarine.
The end of summer cook-out.

I still cook out the whole year but Labor Day, Memorial Day , and July 4th are the ones I make sure and cook something really good.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boatman, cajunblaster, clif12345, duck1996, Exabot [Bot] and 35 guests