Pan Seared Duck Breasts with Balsamic and Fig Reduction-Pics

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Pan Seared Duck Breasts with Balsamic and Fig Reduction-

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:57 pm

I order the Dis n Dat poultry seasoning in a 1 gallon tub....

http://disndat.us/
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Glad this thread resurfaced, my bride is in GA as I write this, a family reunion, I just left a message on her phone two words. Fig Preserves, she will know what I mean, she went to Anchorage a few weeks ago and could not find it, she's gotta score in South GA, one would hope. If she does she will be home 18 days before our season opens, so the timing won't be too bad. :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Black Brant wrote:Glad this thread resurfaced, my bride is in GA as I write this, a family reunion, I just left a message on her phone two words. Fig Preserves, she will know what I mean, she went to Anchorage a few weeks ago and could not find it, she's gotta score in South GA, one would hope. If she does she will be home 18 days before our season opens, so the timing won't be too bad. :beer:

One would think that fig preserves could be found in Georgia...but I have done this with Apricot brandy and peach preserves and it's a damn good combo too. :thumbsup: The world will have ended if peach preserves can't be found in Georgia!! :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Guess after being married for 32 years we are starting to think alike, my bride bought some fig preserves on the way to the reunion today :lol3:

Inda, I am trying the sous-vid with some brant breast as I type, will use your orange liqueur-black cherry recipe, but not pan seared, well, will sear them for a minute per side then go for it, should be good. Will post results in a couple of hours. Oh when you marinate the breast do you add some olive oil at that point? An earlier poster said he wish he had, I thought the oil was just for the cooking part.

Down to 28 days, which is a good thing, running out of friends with birds in their freezers :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Black Brant wrote:Guess after being married for 32 years we are starting to think alike, my bride bought some fig preserves on the way to the reunion today :lol3:

Inda, I am trying the sous-vid with some brant breast as I type, will use your orange liqueur-black cherry recipe, but not pan seared, well, will sear them for a minute per side then go for it, should be good. Will post results in a couple of hours. Oh when you marinate the breast do you add some olive oil at that point? An earlier poster said he wish he had, I thought the oil was just for the cooking part.

Down to 28 days, which is a good thing, running out of friends with birds in their freezers :beer:

I coat each breast with a little olive oil, then season, put in bag, in frig for about 1 hour....the olive oil helps the seasoning to distribute and penetrate the duck meat, and when you go to sear them, they will already have a good coat of oil on them so not much would be needed in the pan. helps to keep the breast from sticking because they are well coated with oil.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Inda, roger on the oil, will add a little, I may have to pan cook them, at the rate the water is NOT heating up I will either run out of Jim Beam or break down and cook them, from hunger.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Black Brant wrote:Inda, roger on the oil, will add a little, I may have to pan cook them, at the rate the water is NOT heating up I will either run out of Jim Beam or break down and cook them, from hunger.

Yea...you gotta start with hot water (though I'm sure "hot" is relative in Alaska.... :lol3: ), then turn the crock pot on when you put the meat inda frig.... it does take a while to reach temperature.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Inda, yeah hot is relative, it felt "hot" out of the tap but with the thermometer after an hour was about 115, so added a teapot of boiling water to it got it to about 130. For reference it is 55 outside and 64 inside the house.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Black Brant wrote:Inda, yeah hot is relative, it felt "hot" out of the tap but with the thermometer after an hour was about 115, so added a teapot of boiling water to it got it to about 130. For reference it is 55 outside and 64 inside the house.

That would sure be nice.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Black Brant wrote:Inda, yeah hot is relative, it felt "hot" out of the tap but with the thermometer after an hour was about 115, so added a teapot of boiling water to it got it to about 130. For reference it is 55 outside and 64 inside the house.

yea, boiling water on the stove and then adding it to the crock is a good idea...Good tip to get going quickly! I will keep that in mind next go around. :thumbsup: just watch the temp. closely...try to keep it at 135 once the meat is in. I like to get it up to about 140 right before adding the meat so that the temp does not drop too much...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:57 pm

132 degrees, and yes I am counting. ref the 55, we hit 63 a couple of times this summer, thought I would die, my wife said it is really hot in GA, she is ok with it but my little girl said she is dieing. I am really looking forward to this meal.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Black Brant wrote:132 degrees, and yes I am counting. ref the 55, we hit 63 a couple of times this summer, thought I would die, my wife said it is really hot in GA, she is ok with it but my little girl said she is dieing. I am really looking forward to this meal.

high today here was 95*......I'm looking forward to that first really good cold snap for teal season with a low in the mid 50's. :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Black Brant wrote:132 degrees, and yes I am counting. ref the 55, we hit 63 a couple of times this summer, thought I would die, my wife said it is really hot in GA, she is ok with it but my little girl said she is dieing. I am really looking forward to this meal.

FWIW..I did not type the directions for making the sauce. Click the link provided on the first post on this thread and follow the directions given there. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Inda, roger the sauce, it is at 140 degrees so am off to cook? the brant, hopefully the meat doesn't cool off the water too much. Later :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Inda, this is a serious question, of course all my stuff is serious, but do you know of a good "box" wine, I had some at a friends house and it was good, it was in a brown box, as opposed to the white box CA wines you see. This may sound crazy but we cannot order alcohol very easily. So I was wondering if you may have run across something. We went too Anchorage and I took some of your recommendations and ended up with three or four bottles, about all one can carry in their luggage, so was thinking that maybe you have come across something that you use in camp?
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Black Brant wrote:Inda, this is a serious question, of course all my stuff is serious, but do you know of a good "box" wine, I had some at a friends house and it was good, it was in a brown box, as opposed to the white box CA wines you see. This may sound crazy but we cannot order alcohol very easily. So I was wondering if you may have run across something. We went too Anchorage and I took some of your recommendations and ended up with three or four bottles, about all one can carry in their luggage, so was thinking that maybe you have come across something that you use in camp?

believe it or not, but there are some relatively good wines in a box. let me check with my uncle and I'll get back to you...wine is his hobby and he does know quite a bit about it.

BTW, what kind of wines do you like?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Black Brant wrote:Inda, roger the sauce, it is at 140 degrees so am off to cook? the brant, hopefully the meat doesn't cool off the water too much. Later :beer:

hope the sous vide does the trick on the brant by not heating the meat too hot like when pan frying...this ought to tame the gamey flavor I would think...or at least not enhance it....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 pm

...but what the cooking method leaves, the sauce should take care of.... :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:04 pm

ref the wine, full flavor red. I think it was the pinot nor thingy I liked, off to do the sauce, back in a bit.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Black Brant wrote:ref the wine, full flavor red. I think it was the pinot nor thingy I liked, off to do the sauce, back in a bit.

found this with a quick google search...
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/08/14/top-box-wines/

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:28 pm

I want to go to Alaska......... One day.....
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Damn, as my Sunday school teacher would say "that will knock your d*** in the dirt", it is really good, like don't get your plate above your head or your tongue will eat your brain out tryin' to get to it. Oh man, I have just found out my newest best favorite recipe in the world.

It is really that good, in fact I had some of the meat before I put the sauce on it, and it was as good as any waterfowl as I have ever eaten.

Y'all have got to try the sous-vid deal, I just used a plain cajun poultry spice. :beer:

PS, that is not Jim Beam talking, it is really that good.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 pm

:yes: :thumbsup:

How'd the Brant do sous vide? Probably nowhere near as gamey as usual eh??

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:45 pm

I want to go to Alaska......... One day.....[/quote]

Come on up, it is truly a beautiful place, but as I have stated before, be prepared to spend a lot of time, they did a survey, an exit poll, and everyone they talked to expressed they wished they had more time. It is expensive, that is why I moved up here, but is worth the cost, IMHO.
Black Brant
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Indaswamp wrote::yes: :thumbsup:

How'd the Brant do sous vide? Probably nowhere near as gamey as usual eh??

What do the kids say? No homo? Inda I love you, that recipe was great, in the near future you will get a PM saying I am on your doorstep with some dead brant and offer them to you to cook up. They are not gamey to begin with, but that is a killer way to cook them. :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole