holy crap (the mississippi river is goin dry)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby possumfoot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm

the guage at tiptonville is at -1.82.. it has only been lower 2 times... both were at -1.90 hit in 1940 and in 1988..

guess barge traffic will be totally shut down soon...

folks, if this keeps up, i highly suggest putting a few deer in the freezer... cause with corn, bean and wheat prices doing what they are, the inability to move what is available is just gonna make it worse.. food is going to get really expensive.
Last edited by possumfoot on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Re: holy crap (the mississippi river is goin dry)

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

There are other things you probably don't know. Last time in '88 the river got shut down. That winter was bad and getting salt for the roads was suddenly an issue. Down there in Tennessee they don't use much salt but up here and anyone north of me does.
Surely there are consequences more apparent to other members on DHC. Let's here it.
Interesting topic.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 pm

possum.....funny story.
A few years ago I was bringing a boat down to FL from Chicago. We took the Illinois river route to the Mississippi. Just before Cape Giradau (sp) Missouri we noticed commercial traffic backing up.
They had built a new bridge across the Mississippi right next to an old one. When the new bridge was finished they blew up the old bridge. Only problem was when the old bridge was blown up.....the new bridge fell down too and completely closed the river to all traffic!
As I was drawing per diem it didn't really bother me. We returned to St Louis and had a get to know saint louie vacation. Sat there for a few weeks. :lol3: :lol3:
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby possumfoot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:53 pm

i bet that was a good time.. :yes:

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:00 pm

A lot of Indian graveyards are being uncovered by water. Just in time for the Mayan Apocalypse.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Underradar wrote:A lot of Indian graveyards are being uncovered by water. Just in time for the Mayan Apocalypse.

Yep... To top that off, **** Clark dies this year... There really will be no New Years celebration... 12-21-2012
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:32 pm

I remember it getting low back in 88. Lots of reports on the news about how it was too low for traffic up river from us. They were always showing clips of sand bars in the river.

As far as the price of food goes with the crops suffering and the gov mandating that we turn corn into fuel it's not going to be cheap to eat.

The only good thing is when the river gets that low we catch redfish in the river right by my house.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34 pm

dog walker wrote:I remember it getting low back in 88. Lots of reports on the news about how it was too low for traffic up river from us. They were always showing clips of sand bars in the river.

As far as the price of food goes with the crops suffering and the gov mandating that we turn corn into fuel it's not going to be cheap to eat.

The only good thing is when the river gets that low we catch redfish in the river right by my house.

...and the specks should be THICK in the jump this fall....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby lancej » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

dog walker wrote:I remember it getting low back in 88. Lots of reports on the news about how it was too low for traffic up river from us. They were always showing clips of sand bars in the river.

Good. Then maybe HFCS won't be put into absolutely everything.

Lance
It is the shared experiences of companionship that make loss bearable.
RIP Orion, May where you are be full of Rabbits.

when you start explaining what you're seeing, you see what you've been looking at
lancej
hunter

Postby webfettish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Well I'm hoping july and august just switched places this year, now is the dry period and august will be more moderate and wet. We can dream cant we? :thumbsup:
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:30 pm

It could get bad. I'm taking advantage of at or near record corn and soybean prices. Though it was localized our drought was much worse in '10.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby DanJeffandJack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:35 pm

ByersFarm wrote:I'm taking advantage of at or near record corn and soybean prices.

:thumbsup:
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Man, oh man!!! Being born and raised here in New Jersey and living my ENTIRE life within 20 miles from the ocean, and basing my entire life and livelyhood on the rythmes of the ocean and tides, reading your comments on the drought issues and river conditions made me sympathetic to your plight. Holy $h*+!!, posssumfoot wrote of the level at Tiptonville being 1.82", .08" less than the 2 other low points in history!!!! That's incredible. It appears to be at least another week before any possibility of relief for you all. I am stunned. I hate being a pessimist, but it seems to all be related to the greenhouse effect that mankind is subjecting this world of ours to. Don't get me wrong, I live in this world with everyone else and run my air conditioner 24/7...I contribute, but I reckonize the syptoms and understand the repercussions.

What do you think, Am I crazy or what?
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: Re: holy crap (the mississippi river is goin dry)

Postby 18javelin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:01 pm

pvn6616 wrote:Man, oh man!!! Being born and raised here in New Jersey and living my ENTIRE life within 20 miles from the ocean, and basing my entire life and livelyhood on the rythmes of the ocean and tides, reading your comments on the drought issues and river conditions made me sympathetic to your plight. Holy $h*+!!, posssumfoot wrote of the level at Tiptonville being 1.82", .08" less than the 2 other low points in history!!!! That's incredible. It appears to be at least another week before any possibility of relief for you all. I am stunned. I hate being a pessimist, but it seems to all be related to the greenhouse effect that mankind is subjecting this world of ours to. Don't get me wrong, I live in this world with everyone else and run my air conditioner 24/7...I contribute, but I reckonize the syptoms and understand the repercussions.

Dude what does living in a green house have to do with the Mississippi river. :lol:

Sent from a telegraph.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:23 pm

pvn6616 wrote:Man, oh man!!! Being born and raised here in New Jersey and living my ENTIRE life within 20 miles from the ocean, and basing my entire life and livelyhood on the rythmes of the ocean and tides, reading your comments on the drought issues and river conditions made me sympathetic to your plight. Holy $h*+!!, posssumfoot wrote of the level at Tiptonville being 1.82", .08" less than the 2 other low points in history!!!! That's incredible. It appears to be at least another week before any possibility of relief for you all. I am stunned. I hate being a pessimist, but it seems to all be related to the greenhouse effect that mankind is subjecting this world of ours to. Don't get me wrong, I live in this world with everyone else and run my air conditioner 24/7...I contribute, but I reckonize the syptoms and understand the repercussions.

Seeing as how one of those records was set in 1940 I'd say you're crazy to think that the greenhouse effect has anything to do with it.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:28 pm

It's the green house monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dog walker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:32 pm

:lol: :lol: bwahahaha :lol: :lol:
dog walker
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Still nine feet above the low water records on this guage. Scroll down for the high and low water records.

Some of you might be surprised to know that the variance is about sixty foot of water!

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=ciri2
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:56 pm

waterfowlman wrote:possum.....funny story.
A few years ago I was bringing a boat down to FL from Chicago. We took the Illinois river route to the Mississippi. Just before Cape Giradau (sp) Missouri we noticed commercial traffic backing up.
They had built a new bridge across the Mississippi right next to an old one. When the new bridge was finished they blew up the old bridge. Only problem was when the old bridge was blown up.....the new bridge fell down too and completely closed the river to all traffic!
As I was drawing per diem it didn't really bother me. We returned to St Louis and had a get to know saint louie vacation. Sat there for a few weeks. :lol3: :lol3:

It's your story. Tell it how you want. :lol3:
talltimber
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm

FOWLER2671 wrote:Still nine feet above the low water records on this guage. Scroll down for the high and low water records.

Some of you might be surprised to know that the variance is about sixty foot of water!

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=ciri2

here is the guage at new madrid... seems tiptonville is not working correctly..

fowler.. not i said MISSISSIPPI RIVER.. not the ohio. the ohio is 9 feet from record lows.. not so much for the mississippi..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm

pvn6616 wrote:What do you think, Am I crazy or what?

Yes you are
asmythe32
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:03 pm

talltimber wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:possum.....funny story.

It's your story. Tell it how you want. :lol3:

Are you saying waterfowlman is making it up?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby talltimber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Absolutely not. I think he "heard" what he said he did. I'm saying the new bridge didn't fall though. I live 35 miles sw of there, and work in Cape.

Edit: I would imagine that they closed barge/river traffic a while to clean up the mess of the old bridge.
Last edited by talltimber on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talltimber
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 pm

talltimber wrote:Absolutely not. I think he "heard" what he said he did. I'm saying the new bridge didn't fall though. I live 35 miles sw of there, and work in Cape.

^^This.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

talltimber wrote:Absolutely not. I think he "heard" what he said he did. I'm saying the new bridge didn't fall though. I live 35 miles sw of there, and work in Cape.

Just messing with you. What was the river shut down for so long for if it wasn't the bridge.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Honey Hole