Parasites

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Parasites

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:11 pm

Little brother went to clean 8 ducks they shot tonight. Every one of them had what looked like maggots on the breast and skin. They fell onto the truck and about made me puke. It really bothers me that we threw out that many ducks, but I was unsure of its safety. I have never seen these before so can someone enlighten me?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:23 pm

Rice Breast.
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby ken h » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:29 pm

Yep, it's called Rice breast. Can't believe you have never seen it before. I have seen it several times and have seen some posts that say that when cooked it is OK and can cause no harm. Sorry, can't bring my self to eat that. Kinda sucks when you got to throw it away but I believe it to be the best choice.
ken h
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:57 pm

Had one duck two years ago with this affliction(rice breast) and threw it out. The experts say its ok to eat birds with this if they are well cooked but sorry I cannot. They say that it is caused by the birds feeding in water contaminated with feaces (poop) from carnivors. May be even a sewage lagoon where it seems a lot of birds like to congragate, who knows?

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/ fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:02 am

Thanks guys, they shot the birds jumping ponds. I wonder what pond they jumped?

Hey Ken H. give me a call and we can go whack some quacks. Hunting snow geese in the morning.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ken h » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:50 am

I can call you tonite. I won't be able to go till wed
ken h
hunter

Got another parasite(?)

Postby macdaddy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:32 am

Was cleaning some geese last year. A small, needle - sized black worm slithered out. It had been crawling under the down feathers. Anybody ever seen these before?
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:53 pm

that rice breast sounds nasty.who could eat a maggot invested duck.i threw away a goose that had ganggreen once didnt look save to eat.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole