Plucking

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Plucking

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:55 am

OK, I know a lot of guys breast out their game. My family likes them with the skin on and I like to give them wild game. How can I, easily as possible, pluck all these feathers off?

I had 5 geese yesterday and about wore me and the wife out plucking them.

Any one tried any of the Machines?
Like this one? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0006150&navAction=push&navCount=7&indexId=cat280028&parentId=cat280028&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=search
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:15 am

Take a large kettle of boiling water and dip your bird in it only for a few seconds. Try plucking. If the feathers are being stubborn than you may need to dip it in the scalding water a little longer. This should help immensely, but it won't help you with those darned pin feathers! Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hawkdog » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:45 am

To get rid of pin feathers you can do a couple things.

Buy a propane torch and lightly singe them off taking care not to burn the skin.

Roll up a newspaper tight and light it, then singe the pin feathers off with the flame. Best done outside. :mrgreen:

Rinse the bird and dry it when your done.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:14 pm

A lot of guys around here have duck pluckers, but the ones that don't dip their ducks in parafin wax. You can pull the feathers off in huge chunks. I just breast mine out though.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Pluck

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:19 pm

I was just looking for advice. The plucker looked to save a lot of time. My wife does not look to be plucking any more. She might help if I got a plucker. She likes to help but the pulling hurt her arms. I was just looking to see who used one, how they liked it and so forth.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PinTeal » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:51 pm

ol' yeller wrote:A lot of guys around here have duck pluckers, but the ones that don't dip their ducks in parafin wax. You can pull the feathers off in huge chunks. I just breast mine out though.

yeller

I agree....

Use the wax, you'll NEVER go back to plucking again!!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Plucker

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:52 am

I just ordered the duck plucker from Cabela's to fit into my hammer drill. I'll give it a shoot with the rubber fingers and later with surgical tubing and report back, if any one else is interested.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

cleaning ducks

Postby Reed » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:08 pm

The pluckers work good, but haven't tried them on geese. Boil a big pot of water and ADD Dish soap. It cuts through all the oil and makes plucking easier.
Reed
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:37 pm

I pluck off the breast feathers as these are pretty easy, then cut the skin/fat around the breast and then breast them out, leaving the skin on.....I only pluck larger birds like Mallards or a large duck, an other, take your pick, if the bird is big, I see it a waste to breast em' out. But for plucking, I slide my fore-finger up under the feathers, than lock my thumb over the top of the fore finger and pull towards the head....pretty good so far, but I still wish I had a plucker and soon gonna try the boiling water thing!!
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Quackkills9 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:59 am

i dont pluck anymore for ducks and geese, before i did but i tried from the bottom and ripping it open then i cut the breasts out and then i have less mess around than before with all the feathers being plucked, i am glad i did this method instead of plucking all the birds i shoot down. Good Huntin' :getdown:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole