Getting started

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Getting started

Postby toehanus » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:16 pm

I'm wanting to get started duck hunting. I'm looking for advice from experienced hunters for a newcomer. I've got a Benelli Super 90, a dozen cheap decoys, a duck call, and an old aluminum boat. What other equipment do I need to get started? I'm planning on hunting on a one acre pond on my deer lease, or on a river at my house. I appreciate any advice.
toehanus
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:19 pm

You might want some waders.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:58 pm

Warm waterproof clothing. Make sure you have good gloves and footwear. Nothing ruins a hunt faster than cold,wet hands and feet. Make sure you have a good facemask too.

If you need any advice shoot me a pm and I will be more than happy to give you any more advice you request.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:20 pm

I agree with KS_waterfouler. Also make sure you have a good PFD and don't be fool enough not to use it when your out in the boat. When you can aford it a retrever is a good asset and partner. I used 17 mallard decoys, a double reed K&H duck call and 1 1/2 doz. 2 3/4" #2 shells to get a limit of mallards & blacks today. Would probably have lost some if it were'nt for my lab Jessie.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole